Confirmed with Link: Jarmo Fired, JD (& staff) named interim GM

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
He literally created the problem. He hired Kekäläinen. He cosigned on the Babcock hiring. He cosigned on the Larsen hiring.

Maybe we should look outside of the organization for a head of hockey operations. Somebody who can hire a good GM.
It's a bit beyond parody at this point. Screams that ownership has no clue how to build a winner. (Something we already knew)

Reactions: DarkandStormy

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
Too bad we don’t have real reporters in town; someone to ask:

“JD, last week in the Dispatch, you fully supported Jarmo. What changed in the last week?”

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
JD thinks we'll get a lot of calls for the job ("in fact, I've already had a couple").
Points out that we're not starting from the bottom, and so there should be lots of interest.

Will look for "energy, smarts, a player evaluator, someone who understands analytics, everybody from A-Z".
Figures that "someone's going to pop right out for us" when discussing with Priest. (They've not even discussed replacements yet? Eep...)

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Are there good GMs available? If so, will the have the patience to build a team and not get veterans just for quick wins?

“JD, last week in the Dispatch, you fully supported Jarmo. What changed in the last week?”
Mike Priest or John McConnell. :cool: And maybe the game with Detroit in the next season.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Judging by his other discussions of the situation, I suspect he'd go back to about how he and Priest and ownership talked it over and decided "now is the time".

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio

“you hired Jarmo 10 years ago. Now you’re firing him. You cosigned multiple coaching hires and big contracts who were disasters. Why should you be in charge of this going forward?”

These reporters are an embarrassment. Per the usual. Asking about playing the red wings now?

Hahahahah

Reactions: Halfboard

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Oh, and JD can't offer any updates on the possible Stadium Series game. "I hope it happens, I know there's been talk... I'd be so excited to see this happen."

He does say "can you imagine that place with 80,000 people in there?" The Shoe's capacity is in excess of 100,000. But okay.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
“you hired Jarmo 10 years ago. Now you’re firing him. You cosigned multiple coaching hires and big contracts who were disasters. Why should you be in charge of this going forward?”

These reporters are an embarrassment. Per the usual. Asking about playing the red wings now?

Hahahahah
Reporters are here to write stories, not be a proxy for your hyperbolic grievances.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
JD thinks we'll get a lot of calls for the job ("in fact, I've already had a couple").
Points out that we're not starting from the bottom, and so there should be lots of interest.

Will look for "energy, smarts, a player evaluator, someone who understands analytics, everybody from A-Z".
Figures that "someone's going to pop right out for us" when discussing with Priest. (They've not even discussed replacements yet? Eep...)
They'll have the pick of the litter for this job. The rebuild bones are already in place and they're excellent. The cap situation is not horrible. Ownership has proven to be patient and forgiving. Travel is easy because of geography. CoL is cheap. The local media is filled with morons who don't understand anything and won't press for real answers on anything. I can't think of a better GM opening to land in the league in the next year.

Oh, and JD can't offer any updates on the possible Stadium Series game. "I hope it happens, I know there's been talk... I'd be so excited to see this happen."

He does say "can you imagine that place with 80,000 people in there?" The Shoe's capacity is in excess of 100,000. But okay.
I would expect they'd close off certain sections. I know other outdoor games have.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Hyperbolic grievance, as if anything that I’ve said isn’t true. He was the one who hired Jarmo in 10 years ago. He was the one who cosigned on all of the bad decisions.

Stop being okay with mediocrity.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm gonna throw a name out that probably doesn't have a chance in hell but....

What about Patrick Roy? We talked about him for coach but he wanted to have a role as GM as well...

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
If I can take one thing from that "press conference", JD should not be picking the new GM. He's a smooth talker and it's not surprising he's convinced management to keep his job.

30 minutes of nonsense, another brick by brick nothingness.

Management is truly incompetent.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

There won't be 100,000 people in there. Outdoor game novelty is wearing off. I doubt it sells out.

MetLife Stadium hold 82,500 in the NYC metro area and those games aren't sold out.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Yeah I chuckled at the "signed as free agents" thing.

To be honest, it might not be that bad - if you have faith in your guy, have faith and don't go behind his back, and when you lose that faith, fire the guy and think about replacements. In this case they could've done that pretty easily considering how the team is in a reasonably good state for a new GM to take over, I'm sure they trust that they get some good candidates. (Then again in the real world I'd imagine a couple of "who could be the next GM?" discussions could've been had...)

Reactions: Viqsi

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

What about Patrick Roy? We talked about him for coach but he wanted to have a role as GM as well...
He sort of just got a coaching job so I doubt that ends so quickly even if he would be a good fit for it and I'm not sure I'd roll with him as a walk in the door GM

Reactions: CBJx614

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Looks pretty happy behind NYs bench. I think he just wanted some say in things with Colorado, weird dynamic with an old teammate. Although didnt he blast that management group and say you have to take MacKinnon over Jones?

Seperate point but HF combined my posts - I think firing Jarmo now makes lots of sense. Even if we dont hire soon (which we wont) it now gives potential GMs time to assess and do their homework on the team.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hyperbolic grievance, as if anything that I’ve said isn’t true. He was the one who hired Jarmo in 10 years ago. He was the one who cosigned on all of the bad decisions.

Stop being okay with mediocrity.
I suggest in turn you cease presuming that everything short of a Stanley Cup dynasty is awful and unbearable, because you're not adding to the discussion.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
My gosh Priest’s hands were shaking as he talked. No wonder he prefers written releases. However, I will give him credit for being straightforward in his response to why now for Jarmo’s dismissal when he said when it was clear a change was needed there was no point in waiting longer.

Reactions: Cowumbus

ThisIsMyAlibi

Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I suggest in turn you cease presuming that everything short of a Stanley Cup dynasty is awful and unbearable, because you're not adding to the discussion.
I’d settle for a competitive conference finals series.

Has that happened yet?

[MOD]

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If I can take one thing from that "press conference", JD should not be picking the new GM. He's a smooth talker and it's not surprising he's convinced management to keep his job.

30 minutes of nonsense, another brick by brick nothingness.

Management is truly incompetent.
JD has a "knife on his neck", I think he will try. Moreover, even Mike Priest is not one to be trusted.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
JD has a "knife on his neck", I think he will try. Moreover, even Mike Priest is not one to be trusted.
Why let someone try again after proving to be a failure? Only in pro sports and government can someone repeatedly fail and not be held accountable.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Why let someone try again after proving to be a failure? Only in pro sports and government can someone repeatedly fail and not be held accountable.
I don't think he failed, Jarmo is not a healer to be able to heal players in one day, besides he rejuvenated which needs some time. Also he is not Homer Simpson, one can analyse his mistake. :cool:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad