Confirmed with Link: Jarmo Fired, JD (& staff) named interim GM

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
I see this as a phased exit. This organization would be in complete shambles and both left at the same time. JD oversees a GM hire and then retires once that is established. Then we may be quietly searching for his replacement in the process.
Or maybe they hire a GM and give him JD's title in the off-season as a wink-wink.

I know this is a pipe dream, but I'd love to bring one of our own back.

Particularly Zito.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
There is a tremendous mess that the next GM will have to clean up. The next GM must build this team through the draft and not handcuff this team with boat anchor contracts. It will take several years. Despite what anyone says, this team is nowhere close to competing for a Stanley Cup.

-Elvis trade request / new scenario / whatever
-Laine in PAP and also... maybe just not a long term fit here?
-Is Provorov getting moved out? If so, when?
-No real 2C in the organization
-Is Jenner getting moved out? If so, when?
-Tarasov not developing like you would have hoped.
-Gudbranson and Severson are contract anchors (imo)

At least they're likely to have a top 10 pick this summer.

Can you could build around....
Gaudreau - Fantilli - Marchenko
Johnson - ???? - Chinakhov
????? - Sillinger / Voronkov - ????
Werenski-Jiricek
Mateychuk-Severson

As your core group for, say, 2026 and beyond? Plenty of good prospects like Svozil, Ivanov, Dumais, Brindley, etc. coming in the next couple years as well. Goaltender position is a mess and no clear 2C (to me, at least).

Reactions: KJ Dangler

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Werenski-Jiricek
Mateychuk-Severson

As your core group for, say, 2026 and beyond? Plenty of good prospects like Svozil, Ivanov, Dumais, Brindley, etc. coming in the next couple years as well. Goaltender position is a mess and no clear 2C (to me, at least).
When I see stuff like this described as "dire" it just makes me think some folks need to pay more attention to the rest of the League. That depth chart's gaps especially are so First World Problems it's cringeworthy.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
When I see stuff like this described as "dire" it just makes me think some folks need to pay more attention to the rest of the League. That depth chart's gaps especially are so First World Problems it's cringeworthy.
Having you best center listed as the 95th best center in the NHL going into this season is exactly why this team has struggled to get any traction . That , and being a tire fire defensively , surrounding your rookie head coach with assistants that I would seriously doubt any nhl team picked up , other than Recchi

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Having you best center listed as the 95th best center in the NHL going into this season is exactly why this team has struggled to get any traction . That , and being a tire fire defensively , surrounding your rookie head coach with assistants that I would seriously doubt any nhl team picked up , other than Recchi
And exactly none of that was in what I responded to.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
:banana:

The downhill started with Gudbransson and kept on going. It's nice that they did it before trade deadline

Davidson keeps on going despite having a major role in Babs thing?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
As some have implied, we’ll always have the streak and the sweep. Upsetting Toronto in the bubble was pretty nice too.

Jarmo was a decent GM as a whole, even if these last few years post panarin have dragged him down.

He was a very good trade maker for the most part and offseasons were hardly ever boring. I will always appreciate that considering Howson offseason were almost always snoozefests. His UFA signings were extremely bad (Horton, which forced a clarkson trade being the worst) and team building were subpar. His drafting was a mixed bag, often getting guys to the NHL but no real “impactful” stars or role players.

His coaching decisions were poor (except Torts) and the Babcock decision made this day inevitable.

His inability to keep talent was a major problem and clearly something in his management/negotiation style rubbed players the wrong way. Not sure it’s all on him or if that’s a JD problem too though.

In the end he’s the best GM in franchise history. “By default” as it may be, it’s still true. He had us at the highest of highs and also some of the lowest of lows. He was never able to recover after Panarin/Bob left, and it drove away Torts, PLD, Jones and others.

But as some alluded to, this isn’t a Baron wasteland where the cupboards are bare. There’s some extremely talented players here. It’s up to the new guy to forge the identity and mold the talent going forward.

Thanks for everything jarmo. But this was the right call, and should have been done a while ago. It’s weird, he was hired during my senior year of high school and was basically the last piece left of my “childhood” sports figures. I’m Getting old

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023

Werenski-Jiricek
Mateychuk-Severson

Team is a tire fire on defense. That top 4 will get destroyed again next year and is one injury from a repeat of this year.

Whoever the new GM is, they need to acquire capable defensive dmen. Severson and Werenski are neither of those and Jiricek and Mateychuk should be developing in a proper environment.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Before Ottawa did their GM hire, I thought Jarmo might be a fit there. (I predicted Korpi right, so 1 out of 2 ain't bad lol.)

What happens to Siren? I imagine the team wants to keep him, amateur scouting has done a good job. As opposed to pro scouting... But does Siren want to stay? This can get interesting.

I wonder about Kate Madigan in New Jersey. Pure conjecture on my part but I think I read her path in the Devils org is blocked, so might be available timing-wise. I know many would not like that hire as she's inexperienced compared to many others, but I'd love to see a different touch now that the hammer and nails guy is gone and it didn't work out.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'm not sure that's a good idea. The problems were largely due to injuries, which the GM cannot influence, as well as the fact that the team was young. On the other hand, there may have been a need for an outside look, the exchanges of some players that Jarmo would never have trade.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I wonder about Kate Madigan in New Jersey. Pure conjecture on my part but I think I read her path in the Devils org is blocked, so might be available timing-wise. I know many would not like that hire as she's inexperienced compared to many others, but I'd love to see a different touch now that the hammer and nails guy is gone and it didn't work out.
I'd both be interested and utterly hate it. Interested because I like what little I've heard about her, hate it because I'd have to spend a lot of time on here handing out infractions like candy for all the "lol diversity higher" bullshit posts.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
It’s weird, he was hired during my senior year of high school and was basically the last piece left of my “childhood” sports figures. I’m Getting old
Just wait. You will really feel old when you see a guy coaching/managing, and you remember going to see their fathers play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad