Confirmed with Link: Jarmo Fired, JD (& staff) named interim GM

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
The first question out of a media member’s mouth, to JD, should be:

“what does it say about the organization that they left you in charge of this thing after firing Jarmo? You hired him. You cosigned every recent major decision that he’s made that led to his firing.”

This organization is a f***ing joke, dude

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Just wait. You will really feel old when you see a guy coaching/managing, and you remember going to see their fathers play.
I suspect by then DSL will have reached mandatory retirement age and I won't be far off myself. If the age distribution pattern continues, the next HFCBJ moderator is currently a preteen/early teen.

Reactions: Monstershockey

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
As some have implied, we’ll always have the streak and the sweep. Upsetting Toronto in the bubble was pretty nice too.

Jarmo was a decent GM as a whole, even if these last few years post panarin have dragged him down.

He was a very good trade maker for the most part and offseasons were hardly ever boring. I will always appreciate that considering Howson offseason were almost always snoozefests. His UFA signings were extremely bad (Horton, which forced a clarkson trade being the worst) and team building were subpar. His drafting was a mixed bag, often getting guys to the NHL but no real “impactful” stars or role players.

His coaching decisions were poor (except Torts) and the Babcock decision made this day inevitable.

His inability to keep talent was a major problem and clearly something in his management/negotiation style rubbed players the wrong way. Not sure it’s all on him or if that’s a JD problem too though.

In the end he’s the best GM in franchise history. “By default” as it may be, it’s still true. He had us at the highest of highs and also some of the lowest of lows. He was never able to recover after Panarin/Bob left, and it drove away Torts, PLD, Jones and others.

But as some alluded to, this isn’t a Baron wasteland where the cupboards are bare. There’s some extremely talented players here. It’s up to the new guy to forge the identity and mold the talent going forward.

Thanks for everything jarmo. But this was the right call, and should have been done a while ago. It’s weird, he was hired during my senior year of high school and was basically the last piece left of my “childhood” sports figures. I’m Getting old
I don't think Horton was a bad signing. Not insuring his contract was a bad business move but I'm not sure we an blame him for that.

The biggest downfalls for me are the coaching decisions and the way he plays hardball with young players around contracts. I think the way he and JD relate to the players is very old school and doesn't relate to current players very well.

Scouting and drafting were never really issues, it was always the development of them after they were drafted that bugged me.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't think Horton was a bad signing. Not insuring his contract was a bad business move but I'm not sure we an blame him for that.

The biggest downfalls for me are the coaching decisions and the way he plays hardball with young players around contracts. I think the way he and JD relate to the players is very old school and doesn't relate to current players very well.

Scouting and drafting were never really issues, it was always the development of them after they were drafted that bugged me.
All fair points.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
-Elvis trade request / new scenario / whatever
-Laine in PAP and also... maybe just not a long term fit here?
-Is Provorov getting moved out? If so, when?
-No real 2C in the organization
-Is Jenner getting moved out? If so, when?
-Tarasov not developing like you would have hoped.
-Gudbranson and Severson are contract anchors (imo)

At least they're likely to have a top 10 pick this summer.

Can you could build around....
Gaudreau - Fantilli - Marchenko
Johnson - ???? - Chinakhov
????? - Sillinger / Voronkov - ????
Werenski-Jiricek
Mateychuk-Severson

As your core group for, say, 2026 and beyond? Plenty of good prospects like Svozil, Ivanov, Dumais, Brindley, etc. coming in the next couple years as well. Goaltender position is a mess and no clear 2C (to me, at least).
  • Marchenko doesn't play like Laine at his age. And I'm talking about Columbus, he wasn't injured, d-men are better, Werenski and Boquist have been playing practical the whole season, also Adam starting to show his potential plus Provorov and Severson, there is a first pass, this also has better partners. Moreover, Laine played even better the following season, although he was destroyed by injuries and the roster was like in the AHL, without Werenski, Bean Boqvist didn't play much time and Bayreuther was one of more playing d-men. I like the guys from Russia, but I'm getting tired of what kind of super players you make of them. After all, in the case of Chinakhov, there is an incredible SH%. So sorry, but all of them are worse than Patrik.
  • This is Tarasov's first full season, do you think he can play at 100% of his potential?
  • About Provorov... You need to look at who here, the team is too young.
  • Severson has NTC, Gudbranson and Merzlikins M-NTC. Nobody will be traded.
  • Boqvist is playing better than Jiříček, has excellent chemistry with Werenski. Will we trade him only because of one Czech wants to play in the NHL even if Adam is better?
  • I think Mateychuk would start in the AHL first.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
2 big news days for CBJ, both positive.
*although I didn't dislike Jarmo like some on here, but I recognize it was time for a change. The team needs a new GM to correct where they're heading.

Besides the thought that this might displace JD, I wonder what a new GM might do about the coaching staff also.....

Exciting times ahead

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
"Our Intent is to focus on candidates from outside the organization."

Hiring is being done by Priest and JD with input from ownership.

EDIT: Also his first reason given for "why now" is that he's been out with back surgery.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
"Do you expect any other personnel changes?"
"None at this time."

EDIT: "I can tell you right now we don't have anybody obviously in mind." That bothers me. I'm kind of hoping I misheard that and he was talking about something else.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I think the important stuff has now been said, my summary:
  • No timetable for the GM search ("we have nobody in mind")
  • Focusing OUTSIDE THE ORGANIZATION
  • JD had back surgery and wasn't around physically until now (hence the odd timing)
  • "Now is the time to turn that page"
  • Decision was told to Jarmo yesterday, today the team met with coaches, staff, players
  • No other personnel changes expected at this time
  • JD has no opinion on retooling/rebuilding with regards to the new GM
I'll add if something else comes up.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
A part of the north-west of Slovakia is called Kysuce, where people are quite religious, and some old women could walk on their knees around the church in the past. I hope that a new GM will not behave this way to some players and will not consider them untradeble. If anyone doesn't know who they are, take a look at the forum.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
JD sounds like an apologist , not a guy capable of finding the solution
He literally created the problem. He hired Kekäläinen. He cosigned on the Babcock hiring. He cosigned on the Larsen hiring.

Maybe we should look outside of the organization for a head of hockey operations. Somebody who can hire a good GM.

Reactions: Seedtype and Napoli

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Priest pushing back hard against the whole "absentee ownership" thing; just insisting that they're informed but that they're not pretending to be experts and that they're delegating rather than getting involved.

EDIT: Also implied that part of why Kekalainen got fired is that he'd have been a lame duck GM at the deadline and that wasn't fair to him.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
They aren’t absentee. We swear!

Signed,

The guys who have been here for years and have not gotten any results. And ownership doesn’t fire them because ownership “believes in their expertise”

Maybe ownership needs to be more involved so we can get these f***ing clowns out of the city

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad