Jared McCann - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Still here. Is it really necessary to bring this up one year since the draft? Is this really the "Ah HA" moment you were waiting for? It takes more than one year from the draft to evaluate a player's success.

I'm glad McCann has shown well during the past 3 games and against some fairly good NHL rosters, no less. He is playing with confidence and is looking engaged, but that is not always the case with him. I'm hoping it continues.

Agree. I liked McCann and was happy we took him, but I'd have been thrilled with Barbashev or Scherbak too (at the time). Watching McCann break out from the shadows has been the most enjoyable part of this pre-season but it's far too early to proclaim him a better pick than Barbashev (just as I'd argue it was too early to proclaim the reverse last year).

These kids may have 15-20 year careers with a lot of ups and downs over those years. A few pre-season games - good or bad - is not going to answer this debate with any finality.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Can't send him down now. He's been the best of the youngsters not named Horvat.

Looks like he and Virtanen should have swapped draft positions at this point.

Honestly the only reason JV has any sort of "pedigree" is his draft position. He's never screamed high-end upside to me. In their draft years, Pronman had McCann higher than Virtanen I believe and McCann already had that "two-way" reputation and equal production to JV.

Based on merit, he should be making the team over Vey right now. A 4th line of Gaunce-McCann might actually surprise people.

His progression over the last season and through the preseason has been very encouraging. I think a duo of Gaunce-McCann would be a hell of a lot better than the potatohead duo of Dorsett-Prust on the 4th line.

Where are all the people that wanted us to draft Barbashev? This place went bananas when we drafted this kid.

Still the preseason. We still don't know how they'll turn out. Barbashev looked like a better prospect on draft day and also had a very good draft+1 season as well. McCann's development has been encouraging though. I'll take it.

I mean, we could have has Pastrnak though...

If the plan is for McCann to play wing, I would rather return him to the Soo. He's a natural centre and right now is the best C prospect we have not named Horvat. Gaunce is further ahead as a C converted to LW.

The goal was nice and McCann played better in the 3rd period than the first 2 periods, but he didn't look comfortable at all on the wing. He had 1 particularly brutal shift in his own end where he had a chance to clear the zone 3 times and managed to turn it over 3 times. If not for Markstrom, i was sure that shift was going to end in a goal against.

Agreed. He looked lost on the wing. Needs to play center. If he keeps this up, he should be bumping Vey.

SaltySnipes*

Inb4 Jared does the classic Kesler on one leg, arms out, cocky crap. Love it.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
McCann's play makes the Sutter trade even more bizarre, if that's possible.

Bonino was not a good return for Kesler as keeping a guy like Santorelli would've been pretty much identical, but that kind of player on a cheap contract was the perfect stop-gap option who could've EASILY been moved for a 1st rounder to a contender (like Vermette last season) when a younger guy like McCann/Cassels is ready to take over.

But instead they now have this 6 year overpaid albatross blocking the way, and the only center position open before the Sedins retire is in 4th line. Just mind-bogglingly stupid.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015

Bonino was not a good return for Kesler as keeping a guy like Santorelli would've been pretty much identical, but that kind of player on a cheap contract was the perfect stop-gap option who could've EASILY been moved for a 1st rounder to a contender (like Vermette last season) when a younger guy like McCann/Cassels is ready to take over.

But instead they now have this 6 year overpaid albatross blocking the way, and the only center position open before the Sedins retire is in 4th line. Just mind-bogglingly stupid.
It's almost like Benning misread the ceiling of his own draft pick in McCann. Now he has Sutter blocking McCann and Horvat until the Sedins retire. With the money he gave to Sutter Benning will not want him on the 3rd or 4th line.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
It's almost like Benning misread the ceiling of his own draft pick in McCann. Now he has Sutter blocking McCann and Horvat until the Sedins retire. With the money he gave to Sutter Benning will not want him on the 3rd or 4th line.

I don't see why Sutter couldn't play fourth line if need be. Willie rolls 4 lines and Sutter would get PK time and late face off time. He'd end up with a higher ice time than a lot of the other forwards and with the cap at 70 and most likely going up as the years go on. 4 million isn't that much for a versatile center. It's still bad but it's workable. Though, my conclusion after last nights game is the only way we can get value out of that contract is if he gets converted to the Sedins wing and has a lot of chemistry with them.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
did i hear this correctly?

just listened to the willie-d post gamer and he said he moved mccann to the wing because it was an indication that he didn't know if he could make it at center or not.

is he blind?

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I don't see why Sutter couldn't play fourth line if need be. Willie rolls 4 lines and Sutter would get PK time and late face off time. He'd end up with a higher ice time than a lot of the other forwards and with the cap at 70 and most likely going up as the years go on. 4 million isn't that much for a versatile center. It's still bad but it's workable. Though, my conclusion after last nights game is the only way we can get value out of that contract is if he gets converted to the Sedins wing and has a lot of chemistry with them.

Or they could move Sutter to the wing in the future? He skates well down the wing, and has a good shot, so ya never know.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

No. Sutter is wotth every penny

You cant assume a team full of 19 yr olds does anything.

Andnif santorelli is revered why did he get league minimum hmmmmmm

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Only on hfboards people complain about a 4th line centered with Sutter. Yeah, the cap hit is crazy, but guys, this is 3 pre-season games with McCann. Stop putting the cart in front of the horse. If he cools off during the year (which he will), at least we have options in our top 3 centers.

Sedin
Horvat
McCann
Sutter

If this is how it ends off the year, that's a good problem for the Canucks.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

just listened to the willie-d post gamer and he said he moved mccann to the wing because it was an indication that he didn't know if he could make it at center or not.

is he blind?

Willies basically Delorme behind the bench with evaluations like that

Or he's lying and they don't want to admit how they're blocking youth with dumb acquisitions

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Only on hfboards people complain about a 4th line centered with Sutter. Yeah, the cap hit is crazy, but guys, this is 3 pre-season games with McCann. Stop putting the cart in front of the horse. If he cools off during the year (which he will), at least we have options in our top 3 centers.

Sedin
Horvat
McCann
Sutter

If this is how it ends off the year, that's a good problem for the Canucks.

That's great if there was no salary cap. But there is, so that's terrible.

And I was not really talking about this year. Even if McCann starts the year here, I don't expect him to get more than 9 games.

It's the next 5 years that are a problem. If everything goes as expected McCann should be ready to play in the NHL full time next season and the Sedins are still going to be here for 2 years at that point. Then that above scenario might be reality, and the Canucks are screwed cap wise.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
That's great if there was no salary cap. But there is, so that's terrible.

And I was not really talking about this year. Even if McCann starts the year here, I don't expect him to get more than 9 games.

It's the next 5 years that are a problem. If everything goes as expected McCann should be ready to play in the NHL full time next season and the Sedins are still going to be here for 2 years at that point. Then that above scenario might be reality, and the Canucks are screwed cap wise.

Fair enough, but 5 years is too long to worry about.

Sedins, and a lot of the vets, will be gone by then.

Anyways, I just enjoy seeing what McCann is becoming.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site

is he blind?

People always underestimate how hard it is to be an NHL centre and what is expected of them. It's a lot more than face offs and sweet wrist shots. There is a ton of responsibility as a centre and youngsters often start on the wing even if they will be centres later on because they are not ready for the responsibity that goes along with it as they try to forge their way as scorers in the NHL. Look at Eichel in Buffalo or Stamkos, they start on the wing and move back to centre once they are ready. Happens all the time.

Someone like Gaunce for example just doesn't have the foot speed to play centre in the NHL. He's a winger now. They may want to look at McCann to see if he is a capable NHL centre or should move to the wing too.

This is what pre-season is for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad