Jared McCann - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
People always underestimate how hard it is to be an NHL centre and what is expected of them. It's a lot more than face offs and sweet wrist shots. There is a ton of responsibility as a centre and youngsters often start on the wing even if they will be centres later on because they are not ready for the responsibity that goes along with it as they try to forge their way as scorers in the NHL. Look at Eichel in Buffalo or Stamkos, they start on the wing and move back to centre once they are ready. Happens all the time.

Someone like Gaunce for example just doesn't have the foot speed to play centre in the NHL. He's a winger now. They may want to look at McCann to see if he is a capable NHL centre or should move to the wing too.

This is what pre-season is for...

alright. makes sense.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
People always underestimate how hard it is to be an NHL centre and what is expected of them. It's a lot more than face offs and sweet wrist shots. There is a ton of responsibility as a centre and youngsters often start on the wing even if they will be centres later on because they are not ready for the responsibity that goes along with it as they try to forge their way as scorers in the NHL. Look at Eichel in Buffalo or Stamkos, they start on the wing and move back to centre once they are ready. Happens all the time.

Someone like Gaunce for example just doesn't have the foot speed to play centre in the NHL. He's a winger now. They may want to look at McCann to see if he is a capable NHL centre or should move to the wing too.

This is what pre-season is for...

the Flames are doing the same thing with Bennett this year too.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's a really hard call because on one hand he looks very good and looks like he can contribute offensively now.

On the other hand, he's so thin ... and even more than that the thought of putting him as the #4 center with Prust and Dorsett makes me feel a bit ill.

It was perfect last year for Horvat because as the '#4 center' two of his three most common linemates (Hansen and Kenins) were actually good, quick, skilled players and even Dorsett isn't that bad if he's the only plug.

If we could put together a line like that, I'd be all for keeping McCann for a 9-game look, at least. But that seems unlikely, and there's no way you put him in one of the top 3 spots.

Man, does that Sutter contract look stupid. Completely blocks McCann/Cassels out for the next several years.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Sutter will either get switched to wing or bought out. I'm thinking the former. He still has value, even with a **** contract he could still put up 20 goals on the wing. I always thought he had too much tunnel vision to succeed at center.

At least we got McCann from the Ducks so the Kesler trade wasn't a complete embarassment.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
No. Sutter is wotth every penny

You cant assume a team full of 19 yr olds does anything.

Andnif santorelli is revered why did he get league minimum hmmmmmm

If sbisa's so bad why did he get 3.6 million? Sometimes players are simply overpaid or underpaid. Sbisa is clearly overvpaid as an example, and Santorelli is underpaid as an example.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
It's a really hard call because on one hand he looks very good and looks like he can contribute offensively now.

On the other hand, he's so thin ... and even more than that the thought of putting him as the #4 center with Prust and Dorsett makes me feel a bit ill.

It was perfect last year for Horvat because as the '#4 center' two of his three most common linemates (Hansen and Kenins) were actually good, quick, skilled players and even Dorsett isn't that bad if he's the only plug.

If we could put together a line like that, I'd be all for keeping McCann for a 9-game look, at least. But that seems unlikely, and there's no way you put him in one of the top 3 spots.

Man, does that Sutter contract look stupid. Completely blocks McCann/Cassels out for the next several years.

The contract itself is stupid but it by no means will be blocking McCann and Cassels. If they play well there will be spots made for them, just hopefully not Jim making the moves needed.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Fair enough, but 5 years is too long to worry about.

this is the exact opposite of how it should be approached. seriously, stop scouring for reasons to justify garbage

i agree with this honestly. it sucks but its the grave they've dug and i want them lying in it as soon as possible

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
would love to see McCann(gaunce 2nd choice) get a chance on the sedin line

The Sedins' hockey IQ is honestly so above that of a regular player I don't think it would be a confidence boost for a prospect. There's several ways of looking at it, though.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

I would personally send him down because I think he'll get destroyed in the regular season, same as Scheifele did a few years back. They had comparable camps, maybe even a bit better from Scheifele but the speed and tightness of the regular season absolutely crushed Scheifele.

I would rather he go back with confidence and maybe a chip on his shoulder (because he feels like he deserved to stay) than to have whatever good he has built here, go to waste.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I would personally send him down because I think he'll get destroyed in the regular season, same as Scheifele did a few years back. They had comparable camps, maybe even a bit better from Scheifele but the speed and tightness of the regular season absolutely crushed Scheifele.

I would rather he go back with confidence and maybe a chip on his shoulder (because he feels like he deserved to stay) than to have whatever good he has built here, go to waste.

He's going to get tonight and then at least one more game in the pre-season. If he continues to impress he should get some regular season games. I don't think a few struggles in the regular season are going to crush the kids confidence if he can't hack it. You have to willing to see what these guys can do. Now you have to treat them right and make them realize that even if they falter that they need to be proud of what they accomplished.

Vey to me shouldn't option anymore so if McCann falters so be it. You then address the position. But might as well see if he can make it given there is no one else in camp that can adequately fill that spot.

It's also a bit different than Scheifele. Right or wrong, Scheifele was basically expected to make the Jets the first camp after the draft and he struggled. He failed to meet the expectations the organization placed on him and he got down on himself...and he wasn't actually that bad in the OHL that year. McCann is a year older than Scheifele was when he stayed with the Jets for 7 games and McCann is exceeding organization expectations. Thy didn't expect him to push like this. They expected that they would have sent him back to the OHL by now.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

If a player shows to have earned a spot in the pre-season, you have to give it to them, even if they're later sent down. McCann isn't Scheifele, so who knows how he'll perform in real NHL games, but it's tough to say Scheifele was hurt by his cup of coffee.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Fair or not, there simply isn't room for McCann, especially given how lost he looked on the wing. Would rather he get first line ice time in the OHL and experience the world jrs.

He's in a different spot than Virtanen who has much more opportunity on the wing and is pretty clearly physically strong enough to handle the NHL. Much easier to make the jump when you're a winger as well, it's not as tall a task as Horvat's was last season.

Can't say I'm surprised by McCann's good showing though, watched him quite a bit last season, kid is a surefire NHLer.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Fair or not, there simply isn't room for McCann, especially given how lost he looked on the wing. Would rather he get first line ice time in the OHL and experience the world jrs.

Why? Because they've pencilled Vey into the 4th line spot?

That ship should have sailed. Vey isn't the solution for any of the top 12 forward positions. The 4th line center spot is available. Give McCann a cup of coffee in that spot. Maybe he sinks. Maybe he swims. If he sinks you try to find a different solution to that spot because Vey still doesn't belong. If he swims then fan-freaking-tastic.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He's in a different spot than Virtanen who has much more opportunity on the wing and is pretty clearly physically strong enough to handle the NHL. Much easier to make the jump when you're a winger as well, it's not as tall a task as Horvat's was last season.

Can't say I'm surprised by McCann's good showing though, watched him quite a bit last season, kid is a surefire NHLer.

Except McCann has actually been good while Virtanen has not. McCann looks a lot more ready for the pace of the NHL.

To be fair, right now I'd probably keep neither.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

Every year the Canucks talk about integrating youth in. From previous years, it's easy to accept those prospects were simply not ready. Canucks, being a top tier team meant having low draft picks which resulted in prospects who are at best 2 years away.

Starting last year, that's no longer the case. We've had a pretty steady stream of talented prospects get drafted and it's not a reach to put them into the starting line-up.

If the Canucks want to get some young blood in, then actions speak louder than words, simply because this time, guys like McCann and Hutton deserve that chance.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
If Dorsett and Prust would be penciled in as his linemates, then I have zero interest in keeping him up. But if we gave him Kenins and Hansen (or hell, if we used him in an offensive role with Baertschi and Vrbata), then I would give him up to 9 games. He has absolutely earned a 9 game tryout, and outright sending him back to the CHL sends a bad message IMO, especially after all the talks about injecting youth into the lineup.

The first two games against Calgary shouldn't be the most challenging, but the week after that has us playing the Ducks, Kings, and Blues. Then McJesus and the 1st overall picks come into town, followed by some more playoff teams in Detroit, Washington, and Montreal. It definitely wouldn't be an easy 9 games (assuming he plays in all of them), but I do think it would be a good experience for him.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Except McCann has actually been good while Virtanen has not. McCann looks a lot more ready for the pace of the NHL.

This makes me miss Brad Richardson, probably would have been the ideal partner for McCann on a 4th line. Even if you re-sign Dorsett, you could have gone this season with:

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Baertschi Horvat Vrbata
Higgins Sutter Burrows
McCann Richardson Hansen
/Vey, Dorsett

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver

I guess I'm in the minority of those that have liked what Virtanen has done in the pre-season, they're both different players and both have been playing to their strengths well.

I'm open to McCann getting his 9 games, but I'm not sold on the idea of him centering the 4th line, at least in terms of his development.

Virtanen will certainly get his 9 games, his style and strengths allow him to play in a bottom 6 or top 6 role, something that McCann isn't yet built for in my eye.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'm open to McCann getting his 9 games, but I'm not sold on the idea of him centering the 4th line, at least in terms of his development.

It didn't hurt Horvat any (I know Horvat was 200+ lbs and ready physically before he got to the league).

I'm not sold on it either but right now the choices for that slot are Vey, McCann, waiver wire pickup or other acquisition. They won't move Gaunce to center.

Of that list, Vey should be turfed no matter what and you may as well give McCann a shot at it to see what he can do unless there is someone that is truly a fit on the waiver wire in the next week.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I guess I'm in the minority of those that have liked what Virtanen has done in the pre-season, they're both different players and both have been playing to their strengths well.

Virtanen will certainly get his 9 games, his style and strengths allow him to play in a bottom 6 or top 6 role, something that McCann isn't yet built for in my eye.

I actually see a situation where both make the team now that Higgins is injured. They'll probably try to pro-long Higgins as much as possible.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Gaunce - Sutter - Hansen
Virtanen - McCann - Dorsett

Virtanen hasn't show to be a liability as much as Vey has been. He may not be scoring, but he's physical and is contributing in different ways. Last night, he had 6 hits.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
It didn't hurt Horvat any (I know Horvat was 200+ lbs and ready physically before he got to the league).

I'm not sold on it either but right now the choices for that slot are Vey, McCann, waiver wire pickup or other acquisition. They won't move Gaunce to center.

Of that list, Vey should be turfed no matter what and you may as well give McCann a shot at it to see what he can do unless there is someone that is truly a fit on the waiver wire in the next week.

No love for Cracknell?

I really hope to see McCann get his well deserved 9 games but I'm skeptical that he can keep up the pace for a full NHL season. I don't remember an athlete sounding so out of breath in that intermission interview.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
McCann being top 5 in rookie scoring this year?

WD trying him out on LW

McCann - Horvat - Vrbata?

I think we should temper out expectations somewhat. I'd be stoked if he makes the team, but top 5 in rookie scoring, especially with this year's rookie class, will be a huge stretch.

If he makes the team (and it's a big if) I would be ecstatic is he finishes top 15.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
If sbisa's so bad why did he get 3.6 million? Sometimes players are simply overpaid or underpaid. Sbisa is clearly overvpaid as an example, and Santorelli is underpaid as an example.

It takes one team to overpay, but the decisions of 30 teams to underpay. I agree that Sbisa is clearly overpaid, but I think we're probably overrating Santorelli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad