Jared McCann - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Can't send him down now. He's been the best of the youngsters not named Horvat.

Looks like he and Virtanen should have swapped draft positions at this point.

Said this all along lol

I still question his conditioning, I think he's going to struggle late in shifts and durability over the season will be questionable.

But with the way he plays, you need to give him the 9 games. Because it's ridiculous not to.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Based on merit, he should be making the team over Vey right now. A 4th line of Gaunce-McCann might actually surprise people.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It would surprise the guy who went out and spent 6M on a 4th line.

giphy.gif

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Where are all the people that wanted us to draft Barbashev? This place went bananas when we drafted this kid.
Still here. Is it really necessary to bring this up one year since the draft? Is this really the "Ah HA" moment you were waiting for? It takes more than one year from the draft to evaluate a player's success.

I'm glad McCann has shown well during the past 3 games and against some fairly good NHL rosters, no less. He is playing with confidence and is looking engaged, but that is not always the case with him. I'm hoping it continues.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I can't speak for the junior fitness/nutrition programs but since Gillis took over the Canucks have had a world class fitness/nutrition program. If McCann's goal was to get physically ready the Canucks definitely have the tools to make it happen. McCann could basically eat every single meal made by our chefs.

Personally I haven't been too impressed with McCann's ability to bulk up in junior. That's been his biggest weakness since pre-draft and really hinders his ability to grind behind the net.

It's not about the quality of fitness/nutrition programs...It's about the reality of a Pro hockey schedule grind.

If the primary goal is to "get bigger/stronger", that almost never happens for players in the NHL in season. The demands of a professional schedule and the level of competition don't allow for it. That's why you always hear about "The Summer" as the time when players really make strides in their physical preparedness.

As for being unimpressed with McCann's inability to "bulk up" last year in Jrs...he had Mono. That'll put a big dent in anyone's fitness/nutrition regimen.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
It's not about the quality of fitness/nutrition programs...It's about the reality of a Pro hockey schedule grind.

If the primary goal is to "get bigger/stronger", that almost never happens for players in the NHL in season. The demands of a professional schedule and the level of competition don't allow for it. That's why you always hear about "The Summer" as the time when players really make strides in their physical preparedness.

As for being unimpressed with McCann's inability to "bulk up" last year in Jrs...he had Mono. That'll put a big dent in anyone's fitness/nutrition regimen.

Many major junior teams have pretty good conditioning teams that include nutritionists. I can't really think of any that don't aside from the seriously cash poor ones.

Also, a lot of major junior players independently work with strength & conditioning teams independently of their team. McCann is still really young, some people take a couple years to really fill out their frame. Just look at Tanev from 2011 to Tanev now.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Where are all the people that wanted us to draft Barbashev? This place went bananas when we drafted this kid.

I think this fanbase wanted Barbashev but quite a lot of other team boards wanted McCann at the 20 range so the pick was not a surprise. He was on a lot of other posters radar

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Ya we're still here. I would still advocate taking Barbashev at the time, however I did have Jared as my next BPA, at 15 overall imo( Barbashev was 10th). So for me I'm just happy Mccann is playing like he is a top 15 talent in that draft.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
If the plan is for McCann to play wing, I would rather return him to the Soo. He's a natural centre and right now is the best C prospect we have not named Horvat. Gaunce is further ahead as a C converted to LW.

The goal was nice and McCann played better in the 3rd period than the first 2 periods, but he didn't look comfortable at all on the wing. He had 1 particularly brutal shift in his own end where he had a chance to clear the zone 3 times and managed to turn it over 3 times. If not for Markstrom, i was sure that shift was going to end in a goal against.

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
The goal was nice and McCann played better in the 3rd period than the first 2 periods, but he didn't look comfortable at all on the wing. He had 1 particularly brutal shift in his own end where he had a chance to clear the zone 3 times and managed to turn it over 3 times. If not for Markstrom, i was sure that shift was going to end in a goal against.

I agree, and he also looked unsure where to be defensively a few times on the wing. Willie claimed to have liked his game on the wing, not sure what there was to like, but at least he agreed his place is at C

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Many major junior teams have pretty good conditioning teams that include nutritionists. I can't really think of any that don't aside from the seriously cash poor ones.

Also, a lot of major junior players independently work with strength & conditioning teams independently of their team. McCann is still really young, some people take a couple years to really fill out their frame. Just look at Tanev from 2011 to Tanev now.

Yeah. Exactly. Sending a kid back to Juniors isn't like a no-mans-land, especially with these OHL teams. These prospects have access to all kinds of terrific fitness resources and stuff.

If the plan is for McCann to play wing, I would rather return him to the Soo. He's a natural centre and right now is the best C prospect we have not named Horvat. Gaunce is further ahead as a C converted to LW.

Per WillieD in the post-game, the move to put McCann back at Center (and bumped up the lineup) was because, "center is his position".

Sounds like they really think he's a Center, just maybe wanted to take a look at how he'd do if he had to be moved out of his spot for some reason. Makes sense...and WillieD said he played well on the wing, but he wanted to move him back to the middle to really get a better look at what he can do.

It honestly sounds like WillieD is thinking hard about this...like he's clearly making an impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad