Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
No love for Cracknell?

I really hope to see McCann get his well deserved 9 games but I'm skeptical that he can keep up the pace for a full NHL season. I don't remember an athlete sounding so out of breath in that intermission interview.

Cracknell has had a strong camp but he likely isn't more than a stop gap either. Chalk him up to being the same as the waiver wire pick up. I'd rather cracknell than Vey.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
If Dorsett and Prust would be penciled in as his linemates, then I have zero interest in keeping him up. But if we gave him Kenins and Hansen (or hell, if we used him in an offensive role with Baertschi and Vrbata), then I would give him up to 9 games. He has absolutely earned a 9 game tryout, and outright sending him back to the CHL sends a bad message IMO, especially after all the talks about injecting youth into the lineup.

The first two games against Calgary shouldn't be the most challenging, but the week after that has us playing the Ducks, Kings, and Blues. Then McJesus and the 1st overall picks come into town, followed by some more playoff teams in Detroit, Washington, and Montreal. It definitely wouldn't be an easy 9 games (assuming he plays in all of them), but I do think it would be a good experience for him.

I've always thought that playing a kid in 9 games against quality teams would be more useful than just giving him the first 9 games of the season regardless of opponent.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Don't see how he doesn't get at least a well deserved tryout. He might not be NHL centre material right now on a good enough basis, but say he isn't- he is better than most of our non prospect players for the 2nd pp unit.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
If Dorsett and Prust would be penciled in as his linemates, then I have zero interest in keeping him up. But if we gave him Kenins and Hansen (or hell, if we used him in an offensive role with Baertschi and Vrbata), then I would give him up to 9 games. He has absolutely earned a 9 game tryout, and outright sending him back to the CHL sends a bad message IMO, especially after all the talks about injecting youth into the lineup.

The first two games against Calgary shouldn't be the most challenging, but the week after that has us playing the Ducks, Kings, and Blues. Then McJesus and the 1st overall picks come into town, followed by some more playoff teams in Detroit, Washington, and Montreal. It definitely wouldn't be an easy 9 games (assuming he plays in all of them), but I do think it would be a good experience for him.

Agree with everything you've said.

I don't think his game is suited for Dorsett and Prust. If we were gunna try that out it would make more sense to do it with Virtanen which was probably the original plan.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
McCann has looked great, one of the biggest positives of camp/preseason along with Hutton. Not sure he's physically ready for the big leagues yet though. No problem at all with giving him a few games while Higgins is out. Push Vey to the pressbox and let him work on his cardio, you can see that trying to bulk up over summer has hurt Vey's stamina on the ice.

Don't feel McCann is quite ready for a permanent spot on the roster, but he's another reason to fel positive about our near term future.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
How can you possibly cut him now.

rt8pu.jpg

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
On a frustration scale of 1-10 if McCann gets cut after:

We have other core prospects and it’s going to be up to them to come in and show us they deserve a chance to play and when they get a chance to play, like with Bo, keep developing them so they’re in our next group of core players.
-JB

We’ll make room. If younger players are ready to come in and help us win, then that will be my job to decide who we need to move out. And we’ll move those players out to make room for our young players.
-JB

We’re committed to going down a path and getting younger. We have the ability to do that … because we have some prospects who are close.
-TL

We want to bring in young players to supplement the energy and skill level of our whole group.
-JB

I'll have to wonder if this is just lip service for the fans.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...roved+still/11015264/story.html#ixzz3nBxEWfUO

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
he said, as he scowled, shook his head profusely and dabbed the sweat off his brow multiple times

SaltySnipes*

"We have to make room for younger players who deserve it..."

- Trades Horvat and a 5th for David Rundblad to make room for McCann

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This "Benning will cut him to spite us all" conspiracy nonsense is so strange.

Does Benning not have a real, vested interest in having his 1st round draft pick (and part of his big Kesler trade) make the team and look good if he believes he's ready? I mean, you'd have to imagine Benning is pretty excited about the way his prospect has looked this preseason. Would surely be a feather in his cap to have the guy make the team out of camp...something to point at as a success for him, and a success for the "youth movement" everyone is barking out for. If he's ready...

Just doesn't even make sense to me, the depths of paranoia some people here seem to have.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
according to some Benning hates the prospects he didn't draft like Subban and Shinkaruk because he sent them down
And
He also hates the prospects he drafts like McCann because he might send him down

Cmon!

:laugh:

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This "Benning will cut him to spite us all" conspiracy nonsense is so strange.

Does Benning not have a real, vested interest in having his 1st round draft pick (and part of his big Kesler trade) make the team and look good if he believes he's ready? I mean, you'd have to imagine Benning is pretty excited about the way his prospect has looked this preseason. Would surely be a feather in his cap to have the guy make the team out of camp...something to point at as a success for him, and a success for the "youth movement" everyone is barking out for. If he's ready...

Just doesn't even make sense to me, the depths of paranoia some people here seem to have.

If he makes it it will be at the expense of someone else he has a vested interest in. It might be less of an issue to keep the dud around since McCann isn't going anywhere while waiving a guy you just gave a 30% raise too or waiving a $2.5m guy you just traded for and made a big deal about, creates ugly questions.

Which position is more difficult is probably an individual choice.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Paranoia tends to creep in after multiple experiences of disappointment or discontent. I don't blame me at all.

You bet I'll come back to this comment if he gets cut. Be sure to come back to mine if he stays. I'll be more than happy to eat that crow.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I do think McCann has earned a spot with his play - I haven't seen a teenager look this good at a Canucks camp since ... maybe Bourdon's first camp? ... but it also wouldn't be the *worst* thing to let him develop another year on an SSM team that is ideally suited to his game. I definitely don't want him saddled with low minutes or Prust/Dorsett as linemates as his offensive potential necessitates he play in an offensive role, not an energy role.

So while I would be excited if he did make it, I won't be crushed if he marinated another year and this team can suck for Matthews without worrying about stunting McCann's growth.

Either way his preseason has been a revelation for this kid who had been quietly flying under the radar among the casual fan base it seems.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I don't see how anyone can say this kid shouldn't be front and centre opening night. He's gone sailing by Baertschi and Virtanen on the forward prospect front. Loving his game.

He's earned his ticket to the big show imho. Maybe he can handle it, maybe he can't, but he deserves an opportunity to find out.

Bye Higgins, bye Vey, bye whoever. Clear a spot for McCann.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Paranoia tends to creep in after multiple experiences of disappointment or discontent. I don't blame me at all.

You bet I'll come back to this comment if he gets cut. Be sure to come back to mine if he stays. I'll be more than happy to eat that crow.

This is such a juvenile attitude. Preemptive "i told you so" baiting. :shakehead

I'm not guaranteeing McCann makes the roster. I think he's thus far completely earned a shot to at least make a 9 game audition, and he's outplayed the competition in the preseason quite handily. But it's not quite that simple...

McCann is looking so impressive right now, but you do still have to remember this is not a kid who is completely mature physically...and looking good in the preseason is a whole different ballgame compared to looking good after 50 games of getting banged around by the grown men of the NHL every night. That's a huge grind. There's still a ??? there, on if he's going to be able to handle it in the long-run.

There's also the issue of thinking long-term about things, and combined with that, finding the right fit on the roster. McCann is looking like a huge part of this team's future...You absolutely do not want to screw that up by lumping him into a year of 4th line role, limited minutes, with plugs and grinders.

I really hope he makes the opening day roster, and to date, i think he's absolutely deserved it. I think there are ways to shuffle the lineup to make it fit. But there are other issues to consider here.

All i'm saying in the quoted post...is that this idea floating around that McCann not making the roster because "Benning has it out for him" and "Benning hates young players", is ridiculous and melodramatic. And as very much a young "Benning guy", runs completely counter to the narrative that's been blasted ad nauseum about Benning giving preferential treatment to "his guys".

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I do think McCann has earned a spot with his play - I haven't seen a teenager look this good at a Canucks camp since ... maybe Bourdon's first camp? ... but it also wouldn't be the *worst* thing to let him develop another year on an SSM team that is ideally suited to his game. I definitely don't want him saddled with low minutes or Prust/Dorsett as linemates as his offensive potential necessitates he play in an offensive role, not an energy role.

So while I would be excited if he did make it, I won't be crushed if he marinated another year and this team can suck for Matthews without worrying about stunting McCann's growth.

Either way his preseason has been a revelation for this kid who had been quietly flying under the radar among the casual fan base it seems.

I really agree with this, which makes it a shame we have a few of the guys we have. I don't want him as 4th line fodder, if we can fit him as 3C with Hansen and Kennis or something that would be great.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
This is such a juvenile attitude. Preemptive "i told you so" baiting. :shakehead

I'm not guaranteeing McCann makes the roster. I think he's thus far completely earned a shot to at least make a 9 game audition, and he's outplayed the competition in the preseason quite handily. But it's not quite that simple...

McCann is looking so impressive right now, but you do still have to remember this is not a kid who is completely mature physically...and looking good in the preseason is a whole different ballgame compared to looking good after 50 games of getting banged around by the grown men of the NHL every night. That's a huge grind. There's still a ??? there, on if he's going to be able to handle it in the long-run.

There's also the issue of thinking long-term about things, and combined with that, finding the right fit on the roster. McCann is looking like a huge part of this team's future...You absolutely do not want to screw that up by lumping him into a year of 4th line role, limited minutes, with plugs and grinders.

I really hope he makes the opening day roster, and to date, i think he's absolutely deserved it. I think there are ways to shuffle the lineup to make it fit. But there are other issues to consider here.

All i'm saying in the quoted post...is that this idea floating around that McCann not making the roster because "Benning has it out for him" and "Benning hates young players", is ridiculous and melodramatic. And as very much a young "Benning guy", runs completely counter to the narrative that's been blasted ad nauseum about Benning giving preferential treatment to "his guys".

The words mature physically come to mind when you think of linden vey last year I presume? Im sure you get that about Sven baertschi this year? It's a long grind yes but linden got every chance to succeed last year and stayed all year. I can't give you the mature physically argument if there is a precedent set. My attitude is juvenile? Yeah probably. I find it a bit funny I seem to be more sure of my convictions of yours though and the simple reason is who the **** knows what management does? I don't think you do and to be honest I don't either really. But hey the simple math here is McCann is lights out right now and looks miles better than vey and baertschi. And suffice to say I'll be pretty upset if he hasn't earned 9 games. We don't get rookies this good this early ever. And I'm trying not to get my hopes up. But considering what benning has said about integrating young players...so sorry for having strong feelings about this I guess.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
This idea that Benning doesn't want McCann to make the team because it would make his Vey acquisition look bad is stupid. McCann is his guy also, maybe even more so because it was his call on the draft floor while Vey was really Willie D's recommendation. If McCann is sent back down I think it is a false narrative to sell it as ego. More likely it would be due to not wanting to develop McCann in limited minutes between Prust and Dorsett all year. Now if he can play wing with Horvat then I'm all for him sayin up, but I don't like the idea of him in Vey's current role. Rather him tear it up in SSM and earn a spot on TC at the WJC. How he makes the team is more important than when he makes it IMO.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yeah fair point there. But the physically mature argument is just as bad. And limited minutes? With willie behind the bench? But playing with the grinders again fair point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad