Jared "Empty Net Sniper" McCann Appreciation Thread

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He's been a one dimensional liability lately and it won't get any better. Trade him while he has value. Phil will continue to do more than Hornqvist will.

Lately he’s had 6 points in 9 games and is not a liability at all. He struggled after his concussion not scoring in the 14 games after his comeback. That’s more of an anomaly yet still his pace is on track for 23 goals, 23 assists (for a full season) which is around his career average. He’s one of the most consistent producers year in year out. Plus everything else he brings to the table. His teammates talk constantly about the energy and intensity he plays with. It gets them going and frustrates the hell out of the opponent.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lately he’s had 6 points in 9 games and is not a liability at all. He struggled after his concussion not scoring in the 14 games after his comeback. That’s more of an anomaly yet still his pace is on track for 23 goals, 23 assists (for a full season) which is around his career average. He’s one of the most consistent producers year in year out. Plus everything else he brings to the table. His teammates talk constantly about the energy and intensity he plays with. It gets them going and frustrates the hell out of the opponent.

Yeah, moving Hornqvist would in my opinion open a much bigger hole in our line-up than Kessel.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Yeah, moving Hornqvist would in my opinion open a much bigger hole in our line-up than Kessel.

You move the guy who produces on the power play and is a threat 5-on-5 or you move the guy who has a younger guy who can play his role on the power play better and only belongs on the third line at this point with the top six set?

If you're getting rid of one or the other it's Hornqvist and it's not even close.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
He is certainly turning in to one of the biggest pleasant surprises this season.

I truly hope he keeps it up, especially in the post season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You move the guy who produces on the power play and is a threat 5-on-5 or you move the guy who has a younger guy who can play his role on the power play better and only belongs on the third line at this point with the top six set?

If you're getting rid of one or the other it's Hornqvist and it's not even close.

This is a bad opinion to have.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hopefully not as injury prone :nod:

He's a Pen. If he doesn't contract leprosy and cancer its a win.

The thing is that we can add both if we move Kessel.

McCann - Crosby - Guentzel
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Simon - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
ZAR - Bleuger - X

Is a pretty nice line up with space to add an impact LW or RW if we wish at the deadline.

Sure - I'd hate to lose out on players who mightn't do it anyway. But its nice to have options and hope for the future.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You keep kessel easily over Hornqvist. Both make same money.

One is much better

Kessel makes $1.5 million more than Hornqvist and you're comparing an apple to an orange at that point. I just see a lot more huge downsides in keeping Kessel over keeping Hornqvist, which makes the Hornqvist or Kessel decision very easy. Hornqvist doesn't actively hurt this team like Kessel does when he's bad. Hornqvist isn't a real risk of becoming an immovable contract like Kessel is. Hornqvist doesn't not fit anywhere in our lineup at ES like Kessel does.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The production will ebb and flow with him, most likely, but he does so many things away from the puck that help you win. He's the Hagelin replacement with less speed (who doesn't have less speed?) but better hands and finishing touch.

He's just entering his prime too. Lock him up if you can to a low $ long term.

Basically, he could be a rich man's Dupuis ;)

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Something I noticed on his ENG last night:

If you watch the play closely (and ignore the imbecile announcer saying that "it could have been icing!") you can notice McCann spotting his player breaking for center. Even if he missed the net, it wouldn't have been icing as the Pen (forget who it was) would have easily been the first to the puck.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Dare I say he reminds me a bit of the Great Martin Straka?

Hi speed/hi IQ player, former first rounder that took a few years to discover his scoring touch at the NHL level. Plays center and wing. Also, both sucked when on the Panthers (not really, but it just sounds better).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Something I noticed on his ENG last night:

If you watch the play closely (and ignore the imbecile announcer saying that "it could have been icing!") you can notice McCann spotting his player breaking for center. Even if he missed the net, it wouldn't have been icing as the Pen (forget who it was) would have easily been the first to the puck.

Yup. It looked to me like McCann was looking for a pass to them to make it an easier goal, then saw the Caps player was more interested in taking away the pass than the shot on net so he took that instead.

Francissssss

Feb 27, 2019
As the self-declared number one McCann fan, I open this thread.

10 points in 8 games. Points per minute just behind Guentzel.

EDIT: 4 ENG's since the trade, current leader has 5 all season.
McCann has 4 empty net goal this season not 5 and 3 since the trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad