Player Discussion Jared Cowen Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Just look at this year as soon as he made one mistake that was it for him. I mean how could anyone play a professional sport perfectly 100% of the time. Also not to mention that if the team won and he played 55 minutes he would get no praise, and if the team lost and he played 7 minutes he was the reason the team lost.

I am just happy for him he gets out of an obviously toxic situation in Ottawa and no longer has to be the whipping boy here which quite frankly he didn't deserve. It seems in Ottawa especially on HF boards the board likes to pick its whipping boy and just stick with it. I am happy to give Dion a shot but I imagine happiness can quickly turn to anger and over reaction due to the bipolar nature around here.

Man, I'm sorry to say this but, this might be the most ill-informed post I've read in a while, and that's saying a lot.

I mean if any player got more than fair treatment it's Jared. Seems like you expected the team and fanbase to ignore his play entirely and just give him endless chance after chance.

This isn't kindergarten. It's pro sports.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Man, I'm sorry to say this but, this might be the most ill-informed post I've read in a while, and that's saying a lot.

I mean if any player got more than fair treatment it's Jared. Seems like you expected the team and fanbase to ignore his play entirely and just give him endless chance after chance.

He's not wrong. Everything and I mean everything he did that was off from perfect was scrutinized.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
He's not wrong. Everything and I mean everything he did that was off from perfect was scrutinized.

You basically have zero objectivity when it comes to Cowen, but I'm surprised 2CHAINZZZ has such a warped view of Cowen's time here in Ottawa.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
He lived off his draft status and 1st NHL season for a few years. I remember people would grill me when i said i didnt think he was any good after he came back in the shortened season. People defended him as long as it was possible without being blind and deaf

Some people were overly harsh at times and perhaps used language that was overly critical but his play just never warranted any optimism and in truth he was probably poor 90 percent of the time. It was easy to see flaws when they occurred so often.

I was considered very valuable up until he came back in the shortened season. His play against Pittsburgh made me cringe

Management forced coaches to play him and Murray at times even called out the media and fans for being harsh

I just regret people calling him dumb and questioning his intelligence. Keep it about hockey

Last edited:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Well they kind of threw him to the wolves early in his career. Instead of giving him ample time to develop in the minors they rushed him into a role he wasn't suited for. I think from there is when it started to snowball, not to mention his injures.

Management thought he was capable of playing in a top 4 role (or at least sold it to the fanbase) and the fans bit. He didn't live up to expectations and everyone turned on him. His contract negotiations didn't help his popularity either but that's not really on him.

I believe this is wrong. He actually stated how much he disliked playing in the minors and forced the team's hand through his agent to get him to play minutes with the big club because he felt he was ready after his short time down there for the Calder Cup run.

Management didn't force anything. He got injured by himself, he derailed his own career.

Jared Cowen screwed Jared Cowen.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I'm quite disappointed with how the Jared Cowen era ended in Ottawa. The potential was there and was never realized. Too bad.

It's clear he needed a change of scenery if he was to ever have a chance to develop.

All the best to him.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I believe this is wrong. He actually stated how much he disliked playing in the minors and forced the team's hand through his agent to get him to play minutes with the big club because he felt he was ready after his short time down there for the Calder Cup run.

Management didn't force anything. He got injured by himself, he derailed his own career.

Jared Cowen screwed Jared Cowen.

Just because he said so himself doesn't mean that he actually is though. It's managements job to evaluate whether or not a prospect is ready to make the jump to the big club on a full time basis

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
You basically have zero objectivity when it comes to Cowen, but I'm surprised 2CHAINZZZ has such a warped view of Cowen's time here in Ottawa.

I'm pretty fair when it comes to evaluating him. Just because I defend him against the masses doesn't mean I see no wrong.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

My view isn't warped on Cowen, all I am saying is it's evident he isn't going to hit his potential and be a consistent D man for this team. I have no misconceptions he didn't play very good but he did not play as bad as people here make it seem.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I hope he can turn his game around, he will have an excellent coach in Toronto .
Good luck to him, too bad it didn't work out here.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Nah they are both right.

Cowen was the whipping boy for most users on here and a lot of the time it was uncalled for. It was every other time though.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
not reading much appreciation here..lol .. Only thing I appreciated about Cowen was him pounding on a Hab in the playoffs a couple of years ago That is my 1 fond memory... the rest I just try to forget

SENSational Sens Fan

Mar 21, 2010
Calgary
Ca5wu93UkAACD0q

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I liked Cowen. He was real nice to my son when we met him at Canadian Tire one night. Just seemed like a big goofy teenager at the time. Made my kid feel special by actually asking him a question or two and not having any attitude. I remember thinking that he was a very upstanding good kid.
I think injuries have messed with him and hopefully he can sort everything out in Toronto. I have nothing but good vibes for him. Hope he does well.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
In two years, people are going to be like "Whatever happened to Jared Cowen".
He'll be ripping up some plastic ice league in Bolivia.

Last edited:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
probably no change in his injury situation, just that he was a healthy scratch before the trade, and leafs have decided he's injured

This is what people are insinuating. Bozak is set to return but they were at their contract limit. Conveniently, Cowen is hurt so they can activate Bozak.

Rumours are he'll never see a game and be bought out during the offseason.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Was he injured here before the trade? I can't remember if he was or was just scratched a lot

Toronto is saying he was, they said it's been a problem all yr for him & they want to get him healthy before he plays. Whether that is a ruse to avoid the 23 man roster limit, that I don't know.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Toronto is saying he was, they said it's been a problem all yr for him & they want to get him healthy before he plays. Whether that is a ruse to avoid the 23 man roster limit, that I don't know.

They also stated that he isn't actually injured though. They claim he just has 'tight hips'. They were careful to stipulate that it isn't an injury. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad