Player Discussion Jared Cowen Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He was one of the guys that beat the crap out of the Habs in that legendary line brawl where all 5 Ottawa skaters destroyed their 5 Habs counterparts.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I sincerely hope he does well. It wasn't going to work here, he just wasn't going to develop. Now he has a chance to play and learn on the fly and it won't matter if he makes mistakes. This is a good spot for him.

Good luck.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
I don't have the animosity some do for Cowen.

He ended up being a bust here but had some moments. Injuries hurt him for sure.

I think the attitude he seemed to show this season bothered me the most. Cowen didn't seem to get that he was playing poorly and needed to work on his game big time.

I think he still can be a #4 with lots of work. He is a good skater for a big man.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I was hoping for him to succeed until his comments to the media regarding what the coaches and GM thought he needed to improve showed how tone-deaf he was to his own garbage play.

From that point on, I wanted him gone.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This will come back to bite this fanbase a bit. But at least he won't be better than Dion Phaneuf

In the end, it will be Cowen + Michalek + Lindberg + 2nd for Phaneuf and Bailey

Great to dump Greening's contract though

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Cowen has all the physical tools to be elite, but the problem has always been between his ears. Thats not a problem you can coach away.

We had a good long look at him and I think what he is now is what he's going to be. Maybe a little improvement with more experience but not much more.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It seems to me like it's a good hockey trade, Sens got what they wanted a 2nd pairing good two way defenceman & TO got what they wanted to unload Phaneuf who it has been rumoured they wanted to move for some time. They also got the cap space they wanted long term but whether this actually works out for them or not remains to be seen. They must know something regarding Stamkos just like they must have known something regarding Babcock before they were legally able to talk to him to start clearing cap space. Should be an interesting development to watch, hopefully, Stamkos signs back with Tampa though or Ottawa. lol

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Cowen had that great game returning from long term injury... Years ago. Playing strong, got a goal I think... And two fights. If we look a couple years back there are a few things to appreciate.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Too bad his body got ripped up, he had a chance to be decent at one point, even without the toolbox for his tools.

Bye!

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Didn't he fight Phaneuf one pre season game a while ago?

Yep..I have to change my profile picture now haha.

But I hope Cowen is flipped to a cap team, and succeeds there with a much deeper d-corps.

I still have hopes he will turn into a serviceable NHL'er...just hopefully not with the Laffs.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Was pretty happy when he droped to us (I was hoping for OEL but saw Cowen as an awesome consolation prize, to be honest I thought he'd go before OEL at the time).

We'll never know if he could have panned out if not for injuries, but I hope Babs can salvage his career, and if not, maybe the leafs can get an asset for him at the deadline from a team looking to buy him out for the negative cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad