Player Discussion Jared Cowen Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
So I guess Jared Cowen becomes the person you point to when someone says "Why did (insert young defender here) sign an 8 year contract last season, he should fire his agent, he could get much more money now".

Bryan Murray whether intentional or not, has done Cowen a solid by moving him to Toronto. At times, Cowen has shown glimmers of what he can be. Ottawa aren't rebuilding right now. They can't wait for Cowen to get it.

In Toronto, Cowen will have a chance to learn under Babcock, and he is significantly less likely to be bought out next season as it makes a lot more sense for Toronto to try and develop Cowen for 1.5 seasons and see if he can turn things around. We often take the human aspect out of looking at players, but in Cowen's shoes, no buyout is the difference between potentially ending his biggest earning years with a 4.5M income instead of a 1.5M income.

Cowen's qualifying offer is a huge hurdle. I think Toronto will hold onto him until the 2017 deadline and try to move him as a "rental" for a pick. Maybe if he puts it together in Toronto, he still stays there despite being a UFA after not being qualified.

Its not Babcock its he is going to the hardest market in all of pro sports.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Cowen, with the coaches that are in Toronto, is in the best possible situation to get it back together. If he can, we'll see him during each season. If he can not, we won't. Either way, he is on his own to make it happen by using his toolbox and skillset. Murray did him a favour. He was done here.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Cowen, with the coaches that are in Toronto, is in the best possible situation to get it back together. If he can, we'll see him during each season. If he can not, we won't. Either way, he is on his own to make it happen by using his toolbox and skillset. Murray did him a favour. He was done here.

It would have been better for his career to be down in say Florida or La but Toronto its not going to be good in any way for him.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So I guess Jared Cowen becomes the person you point to when someone says "Why did (insert young defender here) sign an 8 year contract last season, he should fire his agent, he could get much more money now".

Bryan Murray whether intentional or not, has done Cowen a solid by moving him to Toronto. At times, Cowen has shown glimmers of what he can be. Ottawa aren't rebuilding right now. They can't wait for Cowen to get it.

In Toronto, Cowen will have a chance to learn under Babcock, and he is significantly less likely to be bought out next season as it makes a lot more sense for Toronto to try and develop Cowen for 1.5 seasons and see if he can turn things around. We often take the human aspect out of looking at players, but in Cowen's shoes, no buyout is the difference between potentially ending his biggest earning years with a 4.5M income instead of a 1.5M income.

Cowen's qualifying offer is a huge hurdle. I think Toronto will hold onto him until the 2017 deadline and try to move him as a "rental" for a pick. Maybe if he puts it together in Toronto, he still stays there despite being a UFA after not being qualified.

Question for all the CBA experts out there. If Cowen palys well enough that Toronto thinks they have something with him a year from now, are they allowed under the CBA to sign him to a deal that pays the same, or less than what he's making now? As long as Cowen accepts the deal, it should be ok according to all the rules.....right?

If I was Cowen, and the best coach in the league turned my game around and wanted to keep me, even at a bit of a discount from the current contract, I would definitely sign a new 1-2 year 'bridge' to stay and keep progressing my game.

Its not Babcock its he is going to the hardest market in all of pro sports.

Depends on how it's done. If the Leafs - specifically Babcock and Lamoriello -go public and say, this kid is broken. He's a reclamation project. He has some nice potential, but we have to tear him down and completely rebuild him. It will take a good 2-3 seasons, but we will make a good 2nd line player out of him. Now media and fans, give us that time to fix this kid. In other words, back off! then I could see him getting a decent grace period before the fans and media get on his back. Maybe enough time for him to turn it around a bit?

Get the leaders of this team to really send a strong message to everyone. Let them know this isn't a today or tomorrow deal. This is long-term thinking.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Question for all the CBA experts out there. If Cowen palys well enough that Toronto thinks they have something with him a year from now, are they allowed under the CBA to sign him to a deal that pays the same, or less than what he's making now? As long as Cowen accepts the deal, it should be ok according to all the rules.....right?

If I was Cowen, and the best coach in the league turned my game around and wanted to keep me, even at a bit of a discount from the current contract, I would definitely sign a new 1-2 year 'bridge' to stay and keep progressing my game.

Depends on how it's done. If the Leafs - specifically Babcock and Lamoriello -go public and say, this kid is broken. He's a reclamation project. He has some nice potential, but we have to tear him down and completely rebuild him. It will take a good 2-3 seasons, but we will make a good 2nd line player out of him. Now media and fans, give us that time to fix this kid. In other words, back off! then I could see him getting a decent grace period before the fans and media get on his back. Maybe enough time for him to turn it around a bit?

Get the leaders of this team to really send a strong message to everyone. Let them know this isn't a today or tomorrow deal. This is long-term thinking.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure Leafs can still sign Cowen after July 1st if they don't qualify him, but they have to compete for his services with 29 other teams as he becomes a UFA. So if he becomes a solid defenseman who isn't worth 4.5 and the Leafs offer him a price in line with what he'd fetch on the open market, I am pretty sure they can work something out.

Regarding the Leafs market being hard to play in because of the level of scrutiny. I just can't imagine they'd care that much about Cowen. It isn't like when he was a Senator, where fans will always attach one of the highest picks the Senators have had in a decade, along with his huge (by Senators standards) salary to his name.

In Toronto, he is found money. His cap hit probably isn't preventing them from getting other players. They didn't spend a 9th overall pick on him. If anything, he starts with bonus points because his acquisition helped them get out from under Phaneuf's contract and (according to Maple Leaf fan fiction) sign home town hero Steven Stamkos.

If he becomes a star there, yeah, there'll be scrutiny. But I can't imagine even the most passionate scrutinizing fan base not being realistic about the fact that Cowen is found money, and if he doesn't pan out for them, it really doesn't matter.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure Leafs can still sign Cowen after July 1st if they don't qualify him, but they have to compete for his services with 29 other teams as he becomes a UFA. So if he becomes a solid defenseman who isn't worth 4.5 and the Leafs offer him a price in line with what he'd fetch on the open market, I am pretty sure they can work something out.

Regarding the Leafs market being hard to play in because of the level of scrutiny. I just can't imagine they'd care that much about Cowen. It isn't like when he was a Senator, where fans will always attach one of the highest picks the Senators have had in a decade, along with his huge (by Senators standards) salary to his name.

In Toronto, he is found money. His cap hit probably isn't preventing them from getting other players. They didn't spend a 9th overall pick on him. If anything, he starts with bonus points because his acquisition helped them get out from under Phaneuf's contract and (according to Maple Leaf fan fiction) sign home town hero Steven Stamkos.

If he becomes a star there, yeah, there'll be scrutiny. But I can't imagine even the most passionate scrutinizing fan base not being realistic about the fact that Cowen is found money, and if he doesn't pan out for them, it really doesn't matter.

When you have Leaf fans are wanting him traded or bought out thats not a good start and what if his first game he messes up.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I just don't understand how any Sens fan whose watched Cowen over the last few years can believe that even God... uhhh Babcock himself can "fix" him.

He'll get exposed shift after shift on that team and will be traded to a team like Chicago for a pick so that Chicago can use him as a Cap Credit ($650k I think) to help fix cap bonus overage issues.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I just don't understand how any Sens fan whose watched Cowen over the last few years can believe that even God... uhhh Babcock himself can "fix" him.

He'll get exposed shift after shift on that team and will be traded to a team like Chicago for a pick so that Chicago can use him as a Cap Credit ($650k I think) to help fix cap bonus overage issues.

I'm with you. You can fix a lot of things, but you can't fix stupid. And Jared Cowen, for all intents and purposes, is not only low on hockey IQ but ACTUAL IQ. He seems to struggle understanding basic life concepts let alone the intricacy of NHL hockey.

Sorry, but it's time to admit that he's not Zdeno Chara. He's Boris Valabik.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I remember when this guy was untouchable and next big time shutdown dman. hahah Doesn't seem like you've even went Luke Schenn on him, straight to the dumpster bin without passing go! How long will Chabot take to move from 'NOT A CHANCE!" in trades to, "GLAD HE'S GONE!!!!"

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I remember when this guy was untouchable and next big time shutdown dman. hahah Doesn't seem like you've even went Luke Schenn on him, straight to the dumpster bin without passing go! How long will Chabot take to move from 'NOT A CHANCE!" in trades to, "GLAD HE'S GONE!!!!"

Hey friend, you haven't been paying attention to the fanbase at all if you think we've been even remotely high on Cowen over the past few seasons. The "next big-time shutdown Dman" talk died down once it became clear he doesn't have an ounce of hockey sense.

Enjoy him in your press box. Or, hopefully for us, staring down wingers who are skating by him!

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

I don't know. Why don't you remind us how Gardiner is the next Karlsson again?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Cowen better hope he improves or else he is just not going to survive in Toronto.

The media and the fans will all gang up on him if he plays badly.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
As fun as it is to joke about him and that video was hilarious, I wish Cowen nothing but the best. I always had high hopes for him and I truly believe he wasn't given a fair shot here. It was evident he wasn't going to become what he can become in the Ottawa organization. I for one hold no ill will nor do I put any blame on Cowen for the struggling defense over the years here like some people do. All the best to Cowen and I hope he finds his way and has a long NHL career.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Cowen better hope he improves or else he is just not going to survive in Toronto.

The media and the fans will all gang up on him if he plays badly.

I don't think this will be the case as management and fans know he is sort of a reclamation project so not much would be expected of him. If he pans out great. If he doesn't it won't be too bad as they are rebuilding and his contract isn't too long to hinder much down the road

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Definitely dumb enough to play in Toronto.
Man, what a dumb guy.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
As fun as it is to joke about him and that video was hilarious, I wish Cowen nothing but the best. I always had high hopes for him and I truly believe he wasn't given a fair shot here. It was evident he wasn't going to become what he can become in the Ottawa organization. I for one hold no ill will nor do I put any blame on Cowen for the struggling defense over the years here like some people do. All the best to Cowen and I hope he finds his way and has a long NHL career.

Not sure about the "fair shot" bit — I think he got more than his fair share of chances and just wasn't able to capitalize — but +1 to wishing him the best. Easy to forget that Jared's not just a hockey-playing robot, but an actual person too. As much as we've slagged him for his play and general attitude toward criticism, he seems to be a good person at the core of it all. Hope he can turn his career around.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Not sure about the "fair shot" bit — I think he got more than his fair share of chances and just wasn't able to capitalize — but +1 to wishing him the best. Easy to forget that Jared's not just a hockey-playing robot, but an actual person too. As much as we've slagged him for his play and general attitude toward criticism, he seems to be a good person at the core of it all. Hope he can turn his career around.

Just look at this year as soon as he made one mistake that was it for him. I mean how could anyone play a professional sport perfectly 100% of the time. Also not to mention that if the team won and he played 55 minutes he would get no praise, and if the team lost and he played 7 minutes he was the reason the team lost.

I am just happy for him he gets out of an obviously toxic situation in Ottawa and no longer has to be the whipping boy here which quite frankly he didn't deserve. It seems in Ottawa especially on HF boards the board likes to pick its whipping boy and just stick with it. I am happy to give Dion a shot but I imagine happiness can quickly turn to anger and over reaction due to the bipolar nature around here.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Things I'll remember about Cowen:

That time he signed my shirt at Canadian Tire.
That one game against Carolina where he threw a great hit on Skinner and got in a couple of fights.

That's all.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He asked for a trade?
Earlier in the year?

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Well they kind of threw him to the wolves early in his career. Instead of giving him ample time to develop in the minors they rushed him into a role he wasn't suited for. I think from there is when it started to snowball, not to mention his injures.

Management thought he was capable of playing in a top 4 role (or at least sold it to the fanbase) and the fans bit. He didn't live up to expectations and everyone turned on him. His contract negotiations didn't help his popularity either but that's not really on him.

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Cowen had that great game returning from long term injury... Years ago. Playing strong, got a goal I think... And two fights. If we look a couple years back there are a few things to appreciate.

Lol I remember that game. That & the time he tuned up White in the brawl vs. Montreal are the only positive memories I have of him.

I'm stoked that he's gone. :handclap:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
i really liked Cowen. I complained as well but he did suck. i wish he worked out. but he didn't. he was really chill IRL and easy to get along with( i did work for him).

he had a pretty sick SUV and always listened to electronica and heavy metal stuff. his GF was really nice too.

as a person i like him. as a player i hope he turns it around after a buy out back west where his home is and hopefully not in toronto.....

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Apparently so. He's on team 1200 now and said he asked for a trade back in the fall.

He actually requested a trade at the end of last season/ in the summer. The team jsut couldn't move him, the lineup was supposed to be

Meth- Karl
Wier-Ceci
Boro- Wideman

To start the year, obviously this didn't happen, but it's also why it makes sense that Wier is the one coming out now that Phaneuf is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad