Player Discussion: Jan Rutta

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Yup, didn't notice him at all, which is a good thing for a d-man making his debut.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
He did more in that one game than Koekkoek has done in his entire career. Still can’t believe how much people complained about the trade. If we can sign him for cheap our defense is looking good for next year.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Rutta looks to be a solid 3rd pair D who can handle the puck a bit! If Hedman, Serg, McD and Cernak slot in as top 4, then possibly Rutta paired with Stralman (resigned) would make for a good pair!

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I just don't see Stralman back. His game has declined this season (this is the first time I've ever seen him draw negative attention from the fan base) and I don't think he takes a big enough pay cut to stay in Tampa.

I think it's more likely you see one of Foote or Masin come in and take his spot.

I wouldn't mind seeing:
Hedman-Cernak
McDonagh-Serge
Masin-Rutta or Rutta-Foote

hagg18

Dec 8, 2007
I just don't see Stralman back. His game has declined this season (this is the first time I've ever seen him draw negative attention from the fan base) and I don't think he takes a big enough pay cut to stay in Tampa.

I think it's more likely you see one of Foote or Masin come in and take his spot.

I wouldn't mind seeing:
Hedman-Cernak
McDonagh-Serge
Masin-Rutta or Rutta-Foote

Stralman might not be where he usel to be, but I wouldn’t say he’s declined that much. He formed a great pair with Mac, that carried the team (defensivly) when Hedman was injured. He then got injured and since his return he’s had minor injuries twice and rotated around with a new partner every game. Wouldn’t say it’s easy to shine under those terms. I still find him reliable and useful for next season. More than g and coburn and I do think we’ll need one more vet. on d next season. Also, other years we’ve compared him to garrison, Carle, sustr, rookie serg, koekkoek. This years d is a major upgrade to be compared to.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He did more in that one game than Koekkoek has done in his entire career. Still can’t believe how much people complained about the trade. If we can sign him for cheap our defense is looking good for next year.
Wat. Not that I miss Koekkoek at all but this is ridiculous in light of that playoff series he had against the Pens. No need for hyperbole to make your point. I didn't see anything in that one game that was so impressive that we need to pencil him in for next year.

Pairing rookies with Rutta? That doesn't seem like a good idea.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
I do not think pairing Rutta with a rookie is a recipe for success. Rutta can skate and handle puck and putting him with a responsible Dman like Stralman would make it one of the better third pairings in the league!

Rutta had good numbers for the Hawks last year and then was bad to start this year but everyone not named Kane was bad with the Hawks early this year.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I do not think pairing Rutta with a rookie is a recipe for success. Rutta can skate and handle puck and putting him with a responsible Dman like Stralman would make it one of the better third pairings in the league!

Rutta had good numbers for the Hawks last year and then was bad to start this year but everyone not named Kane was bad with the Hawks early this year.
He was also just returning from injury/surgery, no?

Zeus Bojangles

Literally Illiterate
Feb 23, 2018
He's been really impressive in Syracuse the past few weeks. I've thought for a while now that - depending on how the salaries shake out this summer - he could be realistic option on our 3rd pair next year.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
League Minimum. I am hoping we can resign one of Coburn or Giradi near league minimum as well. I think we will lose Stralman because we are close to the cap.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
League Minimum. I am hoping we can resign one of Coburn or Giradi near league minimum as well. I think we will lose Stralman because we are close to the cap.

Would be happy to lose Stralman. At this point he is pretty much our worst defenseman.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Would be happy to lose Stralman. At this point he is pretty much our worst defenseman.
I would say it is between him Girardi and Coburn. They all have bad and good games. It is a good thing to have a problem when your 3 worse defense-man are all capable of being top 4 defense-man on some teams.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
DDB4E67E-60DA-46ED-8510-680CC00166FF.png

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think he's kind of exactly what we expected. I don't think he's a huge positive or anything, but if he's one of our 7 (8?) D next year, I'm not mad at it.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
He looks fine for an 8th Dman to me. Seems to be taking some abuse on the board so maybe I’m missing something?

A Coburn Rutta pairing looks better to me than a Girardi Coburn pairing FWIW.

That siad, I prefer Serge Conurn to either. Yet I like Girardi Heddy more than Serge Heddy.

It’s funny how different pairings mesh.

Tropical Ice

Nov 29, 2018
Skates pretty quick and moves the puck well, not really sure why people are bagging on him. His numbers aren't bad ?

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Rutta is a tweener- not a great offensive D with special skills like Hedman or Sergachev nor is he a defensive D like Cernak or Coburn that can be trusted on the back end. He is adequate puck mover with decent skating ability. With experience, he could be a solid 3rd pair defenseman if given a chance. Remember it took Stralman a few years and a couple of teams before he became a solid defenseman as well!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad