Player Discussion: Jan Rutta

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Rutta is awful. He's a liability on the ice. He reminds me of Sustr.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
987DB8F7-CCE9-4FE9-9AAD-40E202D26D3A.png
7F5C34E8-8F3D-41DE-A57A-232ACF016E1E.png

Been great so far

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
He's a #8 defenseman he's got the job done. I don't want to see him come playoffs but he can fill in for now.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Gets himself beat up along the boards quite a bit, needs to protect himself better. I'm not against trying Gaunce as the extra D, too.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
> Be Jan Rutta
> Get traded from Chicago to the best team in the NHL
> Don't play in NHL for most of regular season after the trade until injuries
> Have zero NHL playoff experience
> Get to play over Coburn in first playoff game (Coburn has appeared in 132 PO games)
> Get 3rd highest TOI among Lightning defensemen (behind Hedman, McDonagh)
> Get highest TOI among RD (more than Cernak)
> ????

Has he found Palat's box of compromising pictures of Cooper?

TBF though he didn't look bad IMO. 23 shifts, 1 assist, +2.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
> Be Jan Rutta
> Get to play over Coburn in first playoff game (Coburn has appeared in 132 PO games)
> ????

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
> Be Jan Rutta
> ????

Agree with everything except the last line. I thought he was our worst player by a decent margin. Everything he touched either went wrong or almost went wrong. He's weak on the puck, weak on his skates, and not good enough offensively to make up for it.

Why he got a shift with 2.5 ish minutes to go is beyond me. Hopefully Coburn is ready to go next game.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Agree with everything except the last line. I thought he was our worst player by a decent margin. Everything he touched either went wrong or almost went wrong. He's weak on the puck, weak on his skates, and not good enough offensively to make up for it.

Why he got a shift with 2.5 ish minutes to go is beyond me. Hopefully Coburn is ready to go next game.
Rutta was bad but Hedman was our worst defenseman easily.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Rutta was bad but Hedman was our worst defenseman easily.

Yeah. It's hard to really count Hedman because that game wasn't the norm for him. That was pretty much the norm for Rutta.

Reactions: JoVel

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Rutta was shaky, yes. The entire team was shaky after the 1st. But his play didn't directly lead to goals against.

Both Hedman and McDonagh are guilty of that though. I have no clue what Hedman was trying to do late in the game. Or on the Savard goal (both the giveaway and that sorry ass attempt on defending). Or McDonagh on the Foligno goal.

Given Rutta's high TOI he really did not make things much worse.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Rutta was shaky, yes. The entire team was shaky after the 1st. But his play didn't directly lead to goals against.

Both Hedman and McDonagh are guilty of that though. I have no clue what Hedman was trying to do late in the game. Or on the Savard goal (both the giveaway and that sorry ass attempt on defending). Or McDonagh on the Foligno goal.

Given Rutta's high TOI he really did not make things much worse.

Sure. But we've seen enough from Hedman and McDonagh to know that this isn't the norm. Rutta is slow and weak and miles and miles below Coburn.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Coburn should have been in the lineup, preferred side and handedness aside. 132 career playoff games > 0. Plus he's the better player by a mile.

While I agree to a extent, Rutta was arguably one of our best players last night. Hedman and Mc on the other hand was like watching bambi on ice. You would have thought that it was there first play off game instead of Rutta, if someone who didn’t watch this team often.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Yeah. It's hard to really count Hedman because that game wasn't the norm for him. That was pretty much the norm for Rutta.
eh i disagree, rutta seems mobile and decently smart offensively. gets outmuscled sometimes and sometimes makes poor pinches but when he finds himself in position his d isnt bad

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
> Be Jan Rutta
> ????

I've seen the ice-time comps, but what should probably be remembered is that, since it was a 2-3 goal margin for most of the game, trying to spell minutes wasn't an inherently bad strategy. I get it. You run Hedman and McD for 30 minutes when the game situation calls for it. Especially seeing as how Hedman a) was in his first game back in a week and a half and b) f*cking sucked last night, it's understandable that Cooper tried to guide his way through the game rolling six D's. And, no, Rutta really wasn't cause at all for the loss last night; he wasn't even on the ice for any of the goals that were scored. I think we start scape-goating the wrong people when we blow a 3-goal lead, see Rutta on the ice more than Cernak, and start saying "wtf?". Because, while I do agree that seeing that is odd, and that it's also odd that Rutta is in the lineup to begin with over Coburn, those are different problems in need of being discussed in different contexts independent of last night. 'Cuz that wasn't what lost us the game last night. Hedman looking like he was a rookie all over again, getting deked out of his skates on the second goal that really got the Jackets going, and handling the puck like a g-ddamned hot potato, is what really burned us.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Rutta panics a lot with the puck, he's a good skater but is pressured way too easily. But then again he's a fringe NHLer so it should be expected.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
While Rutta shouldn’t be playing that much he was the least of our problems that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad