Waived: Jan Mursak clears waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
How many think Mursak is another Ritola ?

Dont understand this move at all. I understand having to waive someone on the roster, but a young guy with upside who doesnt cost anything?

Looking over the roster, there are more than enough guys I would waive before Mursak.

This doesnt look good to me as a fan. There is enough dead weight on this roster to fill a Walking Dead episode and you choose the cheap, injury prone young guy over the expensive, broken old has been(s)?!

Couldnt agree more w this statement. Letting him go over Miller/Eaves/Cleary doesnt send a good message to players like Miller/Eaves/Cleary and I say that b/c, whatever they have been doing this year and in years past, is okay w babs and holland, and sends the wrong message to our younger players..

right now the message was sent by holland that its acceptable to be an okay player like Miller/Eaves/Cleary are....

Thanks Holland

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Dont understand this move at all. I understand having to waive someone on the roster, but a young guy with upside who doesnt cost anything?

Looking over the roster, there are more than enough guys I would waive before Mursak.

This doesnt look good to me as a fan. There is enough dead weight on this roster to fill a Walking Dead episode and you choose the cheap, injury prone young guy over the expensive, broken old has been(s)?!

What upside? 15th forward? He has no upside.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
What upside? 15th forward? He has no upside.

Um, Mursak has speed. Miller/Cleary do not.
Sammy is another RH shot, big body, that plays when he wants to
Cleary is not good, yet people claim hes "getting better" :shakehead

There is 100% more upside to keeping Mursak over some others on this team.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Ya but hey Kenny is doing a bang up job!!
keep blaming Babs, hey maybe Kenny can go out and get Aaron Ward back,or Sean Avery. lol he has lost touch with reality.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

What has Mursak shown in 46 professional games that demonstrates that he should in the NHL?

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Too bad things didn't work for Mursak here, good luck.

I'm certainly not going to gnash my teeth over this move but why now? Who's coming back or coming into the lineup? Strange.

And, yes, I would much rather have gotten rid of some of the dead weight gray beards before a young guy. If we were talking about Larionov or Hull or Robataille than that would be a different story but we're not. The Wings current gray beards are closer to a retirement center than an effective hockey player.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Exactly why YOU dont waive him

15-20-7 in their last 42 games ...Cleary/Eaves/Miller in lineup :handclap:

Or maybe that's exactly why they waive him, because they can't trade him and he has the biggest chance of going unclaimed. They've removed re-entry waivers so if he clears, he has a chance to be back with the Wings again.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
How many think Mursak is another Ritola ?

I don't see the comparison as I never saw Ritola as an NHLer.

What has Mursak shown in 46 professional games that demonstrates that he should in the NHL?

During his first stint with Detroit (what was it, 2-3 years ago already?) I thought Mursak showed quite a bit. His speed was effectively noticeable, he was good on the forecheck, and he was pretty good along the boards. He had the makings of a guy who could be a real effective winger alongside a Helm and even develop into a fringe 2nd line wing.

Last season the injury occurred and he was not the same after returning. I was hoping the offseason would get him back to showing that original potential he showed, but obviously Backes changed that opportunity.

Miller and Eaves would have been the two guys in this debate, as Emmerton has shown enough improvement in the past year to stick around plus the ability to play center cannot be overstated. Miller and Eaves have shown to be effective players here at times - alongside Helm. That's the key though. Neither has been anywhere near as effective without Helm (which is a huge reason why we miss him so much - his speed makes his wingers that much more effective.) Miller in particular looks slower this season. With Eaves, I'm very glad that he's been able to return to hockey, but who knows if he'll ever be the same player again? It's tough to cut a guy like that, but it is a business.

Mursak was the easy choice as the opportunity never really let itself play out for him, but I'd have no problem if they would have said goodbye to the either 2 as well.

CloneHakanPlease*

o boy....

Acting condescending doesn't make you right you know. I can say "oh boy" and put dumb smiley faces too, but it really adds nothing. Right now you have no proof to support your claim. Neither do I, but he is certainly trending in the direction that favors mine. Dude wasn't even a legit second liner in the AHL, I swear some of you people are so blinded by quickness, you probably though Brett Lebda was an all-star.

Dude was not physically strong enough to play in the NHL, and unless Chelios goes back to supplying our players with some Deca and Anavar cycles in the offseason, that isn't going to change much. Is he as good as some of our 4th liners? He certainly has the potential to be, but most European bottom 6ers can get more money and playing time playing over seas.

we like our team*

people are actually upset because jan mursak was waived?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Or maybe that's exactly why they waive him, because they can't trade him and he has the biggest chance of going unclaimed. They've removed re-entry waivers so if he clears, he has a chance to be back with the Wings again.

I think it's exactly for this reason they waived him. They did remove the re-entry waivers this season and with Tatar and Andersson up, they need more people in Grand Rapids. He does have speed, but what else? He hasn't really shown any offensive upside (around 4% shooting percentage), but I guess could be due to all the injuries he's had. At the end of the day, he's been injured alot, he could go unclaimed and they're taking a chance. We'll see how it goes.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Can't say I'm thrilled with this, but it isn't like Babcock will play him unless absolutely necessary anyway.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Or maybe that's exactly why they waive him, because they can't trade him and he has the biggest chance of going unclaimed.

Not sure I buy that. Eaves is coming off a concussion that sidelined him for over a year and has twice the cap hit of Mursak.

Seems like he would be the least attractive waiver bait.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
people are actually upset because jan mursak was waived?

Alot more discussion on Jan Mursak that I would have thought.

Jan Mursak is a small/fast "skilled" forward (6th round draft pick in 2006) - He is 25

4pts in 46 game played
He does not play on the PP
He does not play on the PK
He provides no size to be on other teams "grinding" lines.

There is no suggestion that he has the kind of high end skill required to be a second or third line player on any team let alone the currently weak red wings.

In all truth I would be very surprised if he is claimed.

Drew Miller and Patrick Eaves would most definitely be claimed however.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Unfortunately, one could argue the exact same thing about Nyquist. I personally believe that Nyquist has tremendous upside and that doing anything but developing and grooming him to play top line minutes in the NHL would be an egregious mistake, but people can make that argument.

For that matter, I have to wonder what value Wings fans place on Abdelkader; I know that he is a local hero, a big thing among the State crowd as well as people who are big on Michigan born hockey players, but what does he really have as a hockey player? He can't score goals, he can't/doesn't win fights, and he isn't a reliable forechecker, backchecker, defensive or two way player. About all he does is hit, and even then he doesn't fill that role as well as others. If I were to expect a player to be waived, quite frankly I would expect Abdelkader to be one of the first on the bus out of town, but I guess people have lower expectations when it comes to him.

Moreover, when the trade deadline arrives many people will be asking who the Wings could package with a player like Filppula or Franzen to try and upgrade the Wings defense without taking players away from the areas that we need to improve. Players like Mursak have value not as main line trade material, but in terms of packaging trades to improve our anemic defense, it makes a hell of a lot more sense to include a player like Mursak than a player like Smith, Kindl or, as much as I loathe him of late, Quincey.

To me Abderkader is okay 4th line winger. His physicality, while not a lot, was valuable to us because no one else hits on our team (until we signed Tootoo). Now that we have Tootoo and Emmerton seems to be pretty decent at 4th C position. Abderkader is some what overpaid (maybe about 500~800K) but that's not the end of the world.

Nyquist is 2 years younger than Mursak. He is weak right now but he could work on that for few more years (like Datsyuk). Nyquist also has much more skill than Mursak. Mursak has speed but nothing much else right now. I think Mursak will be better at teams like CHI, LA.

Interesting. I wonder why they'd choose to do this today, then, instead of waiting for Franzen's return.

Maybe a trade is coming? or just having one extra spot is always good (if we have to make a move in a short time frame, we are not scrambling to free up a roster spot)

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Not sure I buy that. Eaves is coming off a concussion that sidelined him for over a year and has twice the cap hit of Mursak.

Seems like he would be the least attractive waiver bait.

I don't think the cap matters. For this year at least.
Eaves was pretty effective 3rd liner before the injury. While I doubt that Eaves will be as good this season but at least he shown that he can be decent, same goes with Miller

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I'm also confused as to why people are so upset. He might get picked up on waivers by someone but I'd say its a long shot. Anyone who thinks he's still in the NHL in 2 years is out of their mind. They can't even find a jersey small enough for this guy. If he makes it back into the NHL he will be hurt within 5 games. He's too small/weak and doesn't have the smarts not to get crushed. If he makes it through waivers will all the Mursak fans admit that he's not very good?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is a terrible decision at least 3 to 4 other players they should have waived or traded before doing this. Now that might be because I am high on Mursak, but they should have at the very least waived Miller or Eaves first.

All I can say is I hope he clears, but I doubt it. This is a guy that was outscoring the league leading scorer right now in the same league during the lockout on a worse team.

CloneHakanPlease*

This is a terrible decision at least 3 to 4 other players they should have waived or traded before doing this. Now that might be because I am high on Mursak, but they should have at the very least waived Miller or Eaves first.

Eaves I'd be fine with. Man I really hope this type of logjam doesnt happen next year. Here's hoping we use our amnesty buyouts on Sammy and Bert so we can be aggressive on the retooling through FA

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Acting condescending doesn't make you right you know. I can say "oh boy" and put dumb smiley faces too, but it really adds nothing. Right now you have no proof to support your claim. Neither do I, but he is certainly trending in the direction that favors mine. Dude wasn't even a legit second liner in the AHL, I swear some of you people are so blinded by quickness

Really?

First FULL season in GRG: 79GP 42 pts ; 2nd season 54 GP 35 Pts

how is that not a legit 2nd liner? Whats your criteria for a LEGIT 2nd liner? Define Legit while your at it too..

you probably though Brett Lebda was an all-star.

Really dude? Based on my Jan Mursaks comments? Now whose being condescending now? WOW :shakehead:

Dude was not physically strong enough to play in the NHL, and unless Chelios goes back to supplying our players with some Deca and Anavar cycles in the offseason, that isn't going to change much. Is he as good as some of our 4th liners? He certainly has the potential to be, but most European bottom 6ers can get more money and playing time playing over seas.

If this were the case, he would have left a few years back. It happens and there are NUMEROUS examples of Euro Players doing so.

Have a nice day!! :handclap:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad