Waived: Jan Mursak clears waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneHakanPlease*

Hate to burst your bubble but Mursak is never going to be anything special in the NHL and will probably be out of the league in <5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
What in the world do you people see in him? Yes he has speed and yea he has decent hands and hustles, but that's all he has. He doesn't win battles, he was by far the worst red wing the past couple years. If he was stronger maybe I'd think differently about him. A great move by Holland. I hope he does well in his career because he gave me a couple tips when I messaged him on Facebook a couple years ago. Great guy, not so great player.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Nevermind the fact that we waived Mursak, a player that actually has some upside that could help this team at points through what has proven so far to be a very bleak season, I hate that the Wings just throw these players on waivers without thinking of any potential trade value they might have in packaging them with other players.

I would honestly expect that Mursak would have higher trade value than many of the other middling players that comprise our depth, probably the highest trade value among depth players the Wings would have been willing to trade. Unbelievable. :rant:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
What in the world do you people see in him? Yes he has speed and yea he has decent hands and hustles, but that's all he has. He doesn't win battles, he was by far the worst red wing the past couple years. If he was stronger maybe I'd think differently about him. A great move by Holland. I hope he does well in his career because he gave me a couple tips when I messaged him on Facebook a couple years ago. Great guy, not so great player.

Two things that are required for a good forecheck and typically found in successful bottom six players.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Since Holland doesn't generally waive very good players I'm not worried about this. He's a good skater but seems like another Ritola.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Nevermind the fact that we waived Mursak, a player that actually has some upside that could help this team at points through what has proven so far to be a very bleak season, I hate that the Wings just throw these players on waivers without thinking of any potential trade value they might have in packaging them with other players.

I would honestly expect that Mursak would have higher trade value than many of the other middling players that comprise our depth, probably the highest trade value among depth players the Wings would have been willing to trade. Unbelievable. :rant:

A skill player with 4 pts in 46 career games doesn't hold trade value. Maybe a minor league swap, or balance the amount of contracts to help a bigger trade. Not suggesting the others hold any value to talk about tho.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
If it means that Tatar is staying up even when everyone is healthy then I'm ok with this move. However, if Tatar gets sent down when everyone returns (assuming he is still playing well) I will not be a happy camper.

crashman

Since Holland doesn't generally waive very good players I'm not worried about this. He's a good skater but seems like another Ritola.

KQ?

I mean, say what you will about they guy, but that was a huge mistake.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
A skill player with 4 pts in 46 career games doesn't hold trade value. Maybe a minor league swap, or balance the amount of contracts to help a bigger trade. Not suggesting the others hold any value to talk about tho.

I just don't want the Wings burning money anymore absent cause; that's what it boils down to when you throw away assets, and sometimes throw away even more assets to retrieve the services of those players that were deemed superfluous.

As for the glut of "depth" players that the team has, I just don't see the mindset in which stocking up on middling players and choking the pathway for players coming up from GR is constructive in nature. Perhaps there is an explanation that makes sense, an explanation where standing pat and saving as much cap space as possible only to sit on it during the season makes sense, and aside from a cynical assertion that Holland was trying to find the path of least resistance yielding high end draft prospects, I can't think of one.

I still have hopes that something constructive is done in terms of trading or movement of our glut of "depth" players to address the real needs of this team; I hope that I will not be too disappointed by the end of the trade deadline.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm not too concerned. Does this mean Franzen is back tomorrow?

Good luck Jan.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm not too concerned. Does this mean Franzen is back tomorrow?

Good luck Jan.

Yeah, can't keep them all. I'd be surprised if he blows up on another team, but hey, if he does we'll have so much to argue about here!

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007

Exactly this. He doesn't hold any value IMO. He really need more strength if he wants to play in NHL. Speed means nothing if you are too easily knocked off the puck/can't battle on the boards.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
Dont understand this move at all. I understand having to waive someone on the roster, but a young guy with upside who doesnt cost anything?

Looking over the roster, there are more than enough guys I would waive before Mursak.

This doesnt look good to me as a fan. There is enough dead weight on this roster to fill a Walking Dead episode and you choose the cheap, injury prone young guy over the expensive, broken old has been(s)?!

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Exactly this. He doesn't hold any value IMO. He really need more strength if he wants to play in NHL. Speed means nothing if you are too easily knocked off the puck/can't battle on the boards.

Unfortunately, one could argue the exact same thing about Nyquist. I personally believe that Nyquist has tremendous upside and that doing anything but developing and grooming him to play top line minutes in the NHL would be an egregious mistake, but people can make that argument.

For that matter, I have to wonder what value Wings fans place on Abdelkader; I know that he is a local hero, a big thing among the State crowd as well as people who are big on Michigan born hockey players, but what does he really have as a hockey player? He can't score goals, he can't/doesn't win fights, and he isn't a reliable forechecker, backchecker, defensive or two way player. About all he does is hit, and even then he doesn't fill that role as well as others. If I were to expect a player to be waived, quite frankly I would expect Abdelkader to be one of the first on the bus out of town, but I guess people have lower expectations when it comes to him.

Moreover, when the trade deadline arrives many people will be asking who the Wings could package with a player like Filppula or Franzen to try and upgrade the Wings defense without taking players away from the areas that we need to improve. Players like Mursak have value not as main line trade material, but in terms of packaging trades to improve our anemic defense, it makes a hell of a lot more sense to include a player like Mursak than a player like Smith, Kindl or, as much as I loathe him of late, Quincey.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If it means that Tatar is staying up even when everyone is healthy then I'm ok with this move. However, if Tatar gets sent down when everyone returns (assuming he is still playing well) I will not be a happy camper.

I think Tatar has earned a spot on the team. He's scoring, he's visible with his skill creating scoring chances, and he draws penalties with his speed. He's the anti-Dan Cleary. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad