GDT: Jan 22 Gm#5 BUF at WAS 7pm, MSGB

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Sabres try for the third time this season to beat the Capitals.
ESPN, WaPo, and others have reported WAS may be without Ovechkin, Samsonov, Orlov, and Kuznetsov, who are on the COVID-19 list, and has fined the Caps $100k for violating social distancing protocols.
Probably won't matter to the game outcome, regardless of whether they play or not.
Feel free to post lineups as they are known.

What do you mean it probably won't matter to the outcome?

Last edited:

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Team needs to take advantage of the Caps missing their top forwards and goalie.

I'm already frustrated with Krueger's lineups and decision making, and it's not going to get better if the team fails to capitalize on two games that are as close to a gimme as you can get so far this season.

Reactions: nickdawg95

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Team needs to take advantage of the Caps missing their top forwards and goalie.

I'm already frustrated with Krueger's lineups and decision making, and it's not going to get better if the team fails to capitalize on two games that are as close to a gimme as you can get so far this season.

I agree but goaltending can always be the great equalizer. Ullmark is dealing with his father's passing and grieving athletes all behave differently; Brett Favre played a historic Monday night game, Jordan basically retired, and Marc Andre Fleury had an entire down year last season. If Ullmark isn't ok we have an AHL goalie in JJ behind him, not ideal.

Additionally, last time we met we outplayed them and Vanecek was extremely solid.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
They didn't have that much of an impact on the outcome last time. Samsonov was probably the one with the most impact on the game of the 4, and he barely was tested. Yeah Ovie scored 2 goals, but he was not much of a factor outside of that. Orlov was a mess last time. Kuznetsov was invisible.

It was Backstrom, Oshie, Carlson, Vrana, and a few others outside those 4 that beat Buffalo, and are also usually the difference makers in Washington's games throughout the season.

200.gif

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
They really should be 3-3 after these next 2 games. No excuses.

Hopefully the team feels inspired to play hard for Ullmark tonight and comes out swinging, like Allen and co. did after his grandmother passed the night before the Seahawks game.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I won't quote them all, but several have posted about whether Skinner should be with Staal, whether Okposo should move up / insert to replace Cozens, is Olofsson currently too much of a stationary one-trick pony to ride shotgun with anyone but someone who can carry him? etc. I'll be watching whomever plays from that list of 4 tonight, regardless of how they are deployed.

This may be an interesting to watch to see what Krueger does with those individuals for the Friday and Sunday games, in particular if the Caps lineup is shorthanded. One might fear the defensive prowess of a slower-skating Staal-Okposo pairing, which is perhaps why Skinner is being pushed to show 3-zone commitment on the 4th line before sliding him up. Skinner has the speed to help out defensively. Does he have the commitment? He's looked good to me, but hey, it's the Sabres, they've fooled me before.

21bbec38a4fc9274d84dd6769d000656.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Paxon

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think we will lose but wouldn't mind a 12-0 win.
Effort will be there but Sabres look so tense, I'd like a relaxed focus (if that's a thing) from the team and less frenzy.

Last game against Philly as well as the second loss against Washington they could have won just by scoring the easy goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad