Value of: Jamie Benn

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
lol what??? You think they're going to trade one of the top 5 forwards in the game for a "Maybe"?

If it was Laine, you'd throw in Scheiffle on top too...and even then it would be questionable because neither of those two are remotely close to benn

While a big fan of Benn, Scheiffle isn't a throw in on any deal. In fact those twos careers are following a very similar path statistically. Scheiffle isn't there yet, but if the latter part of last season is an indication, the gap could get pretty close over the next couple years.

Laine plus Little more like it. Or the gobs of picks and prospects like u mentioned.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Evgeni Malkin. For the Pens to bring in a guy like Benn, they are going to need to shed cap space and provide a star player back the other way. Nill isn't trading Benn for Kessel so it would have to be Malkin. He's my favorite player so it would really suck, but that's pretty much the only deal from Pittsburgh that makes any sense.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Evgeni Malkin. For the Pens to bring in a guy like Benn, they are going to need to shed cap space and provide a star player back the other way. Nill isn't trading Benn for Kessel so it would have to be Malkin. He's my favorite player so it would really suck, but that's pretty much the only deal from Pittsburgh that makes any sense.

I think Pitt would need to add, and probably something significant. Benn is 3 years younger and Malkin cannot stay healthy. When they're both on, it's pretty close, but Benn is far healthier.

Also, I could really see Benn taking a decent discount. Unlike Toews and Kane, he hasn't won a Cup yet, and saw what two crippling contracts can do to a team. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he signed an 8 year/ 8-9 million AAV deal.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
This will only happen if Benn hasn't signed an extension by the time the trade deadline comes along and Dallas isn't looking like they'll make the playoffs. Then a team will get him as a rental. The cost would depend on how many playoff teams are interested and willing to give up future assets.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
A lot of Stars fans expect a new deal to be announced at the team's Party at the Park (Klyde Warren Park, downtown) this Friday. They announced the Sharp/Johns deal there last year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think Pitt would need to add, and probably something significant. Benn is 3 years younger and Malkin cannot stay healthy. When they're both on, it's pretty close, but Benn is far healthier.

Also, I could really see Benn taking a decent discount. Unlike Toews and Kane, he hasn't won a Cup yet, and saw what two crippling contracts can do to a team. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he signed an 8 year/ 8-9 million AAV deal.

Yeah I agree the Pens would need to add. It's also not going to happen so there's that :laugh:

I guess for fun, I'd say something like Malkin+Pouliot+1st/2nd/other forward prospect not named Sprong.

Something like that. Pouliot could be a nice replacement for Goligoski soon and then you get a pick.

That's not really something the Pens would do either but I'm trying to be fair in terms of value.

As for a discount, I don't know. I don't think he's going to push for the moon (12MM) that he could get on the open market, but I'd be surprised if he signed for under 10MM. He's a damn good player in his prime and has definitely outplayed his prior contract. An 8 year deal puts him at at 35 at the end of it, so this is his contract to cash in. I'd say 8 years, 80MM is roughly accurate, but I guess we will find out.

Last edited:

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Assuming we can extend him

JVR, Kapanen, 2017 1st

Replacement top line LW, top 6 RW prospect and a likely top 5 pick.

Obviously this is hypothetical that he has said he wants to leave Dallas.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
This will only happen if Benn hasn't signed an extension by the time the trade deadline comes along and Dallas isn't looking like they'll make the playoffs. Then a team will get him as a rental. The cost would depend on how many playoff teams are interested and willing to give up future assets.

No... Even then, we'd rather retain him.

He will basically have to demand a trade to not be a Star to start the 2017-2018 season.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

JVR, Kapanen, 2017 1st

One of your top three prospects would have to come back at the very least.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Yeah I agree the Pens would need to add. It's also not going to happen so there's that :laugh:

I guess for fun, I'd say something like Malkin+Pouliot+1st/2nd/other forward prospect not named Sprong.

Something like that. Pouliot could be a nice replacement for Goligoski soon and then you get a pick.

That's not really something the Pens would do either but I'm trying to be fair in terms of value.

As for a discount, I don't know. I don't think he's going to push for the moon (12MM) that he could get on the open market, but I'd be surprised if he signed for under 10MM. He's a damn good player in his prime and has definitely outplayed his prior contract. An 8 year deal puts him at at 35 at the end of it, so this is his contract to cash in. I'd say 8 years, 80MM is roughly accurate, but I guess we will find out.

Why would the Pens add? When they're both on their games, Malkin is still better, he's been a perennial top 3-5 player for the most part of a decade. Albeit Benn has put up league leading points the past few seasons he still has not carried the team to the SCF, a la Malkin in 09. (His MVP season) :).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I just don't see any player in the league that would make the stars give up Benn.

Let's say hypothetically(relax oiler fans is hypothetical) that oilers offered McDavid. The stars already have a elite #1 center in Seguin and they have spezza as a #2

Even though value wise McDavid because of age talent contract is maybe the more desirable asset, Benn is one of the top3 wingers in the NHL and the stars already have a number 1 center.

Benn-Seguin > McDavid-Segukn for the stars.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Why would the Pens add? When they're both on their games, Malkin is still better, he's been a perennial top 3-5 player for the most part of a decade. Albeit Benn has put up league leading points the past few seasons he still has not carried the team to the SCF, a la Malkin in 09. (His MVP season) :).

The bolded is why the Pens would add. Malkin is about to turn 30, Benn 27. Malkin has missed roughly 20 games a year the past 4 years and had a few injuries before that (60,69,57 last 3 years). Benn has played 81, 82, and 82 the last few seasons.

I think Malkin is the better player when on his game and I tend to value centers more highly than wingers, but from a pure hypothetical value trade, I think Benn is the more valuable asset for the next decade.

Even still, I don't think either team does this trade. Dallas doesn't need another top 6 center and Pittsburgh would have a gaping hole at 2C if they made this move.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
The bolded is why the Pens would add. Malkin is about to turn 30, Benn 27. Malkin has missed roughly 20 games a year the past 4 years and had a few injuries before that (60,69,57 last 3 years). Benn has played 81, 82, and 82 the last few seasons.

I think Malkin is the better player when on his game and I tend to value centers more highly than wingers, but from a pure hypothetical value trade, I think Benn is the more valuable asset for the next decade.

Even still, I don't think either team does this trade. Dallas doesn't need another top 6 center and Pittsburgh would have a gaping hole at 2C if they made this move.

Ahhh thank you :)

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Absolutely love Benn and his game.

That said, I wouldn't trade for him. I don't want to build my team around the wing position again (Kessel)

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015

You keep mentioning "part of last decade" and "09 season" but we are not in 2009 anymore and Malkin the last 3 seasons has been injury prone. Sorry to tell you Benn is now better than Malkin.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What about a base of Landeskog and Zadorov from the Avs, something along those lines? Think those would be pieces the Stars would love to add.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

JVR, Kapanen, 2017 1st

Not quite lol.

I'm thinking Nylander, Brown, 2017 1st is what would start the conversation.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A lot of Stars fans expect a new deal to be announced at the team's Party at the Park (Klyde Warren Park, downtown) this Friday. They announced the Sharp/Johns deal there last year.

Yea that makes sense as far as timing.

I was texting with a buddy and he asked me what I would do the deal for and I said I peg Jamie's value at between $9.25 and $9.75 AAV so lets saw it off and go $9.5 x 8 heavily front loaded with bonuses (think Kopi) and full no move in the first 4 years with limited no trade (10 team list) in the last 4 years.

Then we can stick a fork in another thread where bottom feeders from other orgs bring out their dead. :sarcasm:

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I just don't see any player in the league that would make the stars give up Benn.

Let's say hypothetically(relax oiler fans is hypothetical) that oilers offered McDavid. The stars already have a elite #1 center in Seguin and they have spezza as a #2

Even though value wise McDavid because of age talent contract is maybe the more desirable asset, Benn is one of the top3 wingers in the NHL and the stars already have a number 1 center.

Idk. Obviously Edmoton never would, but I would trade Benn for McDavid. McDavid is worth it..

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

There's the very real possibility that McDavid is in Benn territory next season. He could even become a better player by next year. And you forget that Seguin can play RW.

Sharp - McDavid - Seguin
XXXX - Spezza - Nichushkin

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I would offer JVR + Gardiner + Marner + 2017 1st.

Probably not enough but the most I would offer for a winger. Would offer more for a franchise defenseman.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad