Value of: Jamie Benn

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Jamie Benn is very much probably not leaving Dallas. This is purely a hypothetical to get through the summer.

Assume Benn had a massive falling out with the Stars, and refused to sign and demanded a trade before the season started. What would you offer for Benn?

Last edited:

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
gonna be similar to shattenkirk situation, a very talented player with 1 yr left on their contract

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
He'll likely get extended before the end of the summer from a Kopitar 80M/8y contract to a Kane/Toews 84M/8y contract. Or more? Then Seguin will get the same or more in 3y.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Pittsburgh gunning for a nother cup.

Benn + lehenton
for pouliot Sundqvist 2 1sts a 2 2nds Fleury and Kunitz.

Lol. Quantity doesn't get you quality. Fleury's a good piece, Pouliot decent. Everything else is pretty meh.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Lol. Quantity doesn't get you quality. Fleury's a good piece, Pouliot decent. Everything else is pretty meh.

O I agree. But this is what I would give up without hurting are roster for a chance at going for another.

However imagine this gained at the deadline and then Dallas re signs Benn at free agency.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Pittsburgh gunning for a nother cup.

Benn + lehenton
for pouliot Sundqvist 2 1sts a 2 2nds Fleury and Kunitz.

Nill laughs and immediately hangs up the phone. Then he calls back just to laugh again and tells Rutherford how awful that proposal is.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
Ok, I'll play along:

Assuming that Benn did request a trade, and would 100% sign with the team he's traded to, fair value from Montreal might be something along the lines of:

Pacioretty + Galchenyuk + Scherbak + 2017 1st

I wouldn't do that trade, but that's probably fair value I think.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Wouldn't move Price for too many people, Benn might be one of them if there was an extension in place

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
But worth 10 times the amount

Shattenkirk didn't request a trade. Benn's value would tank a lot if he demanded a trade with 1 year left on his contract.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If an extension was agreed beforehand:

1st + Stone + Chabot

Yes it is probably not enough to get Benn, but i am drunk. So please excuse my stupid proposal.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
To get fair value you'd basically have to let him have a rough agreement with who he's being traded to. I'd offer Marner or Nylander and a 2017 first.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
O I agree. But this is what I would give up without hurting are roster for a chance at going for another.

However imagine this gained at the deadline and then Dallas re signs Benn at free agency.
But you're ignoring this crucial detail: if you want to acquire a superstar in a trade from a team who's not tanking you're going to have to hurt your roster.

In a deal sending Benn to Pittsburgh, Letang has to be the main piece coming back.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
If he publicly demanded a trade, then I think Laine for Benn 1 for 1 would be somewhat reasonable?

Even then Laine would be considered a great, great success if he reaches Benn's level today. Benn is an absolute freak.

From the Sens, I'll just discard the demand comment, assume Benn 100% resigns and propose:

2017 1st + 2017 2nd + Hoffman + Zibanejad + Methot + Colin White

If that's not enough, switch Hoffman for Stone and add another pick.
But that 2017 1st would have great value... trust me.
I also doubt this would be enough.

I would essentially throw anything not named Karlsson in.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad