Value of: Jamie Benn

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
Shattenkirk didn't request a trade. Benn's value would tank a lot if he demanded a trade with 1 year left on his contract.

Your logic is faulty. Right now, GMs wouldn't even bother asking about a prime power forward who is a year removed from an art Ross.

If Benn demanded a trade, 29 GMs would be lining up to hand over everything and the kitchen sink for Benn. If "tanking value" means a team would offer Malkin instead of Crosby, then sure, the value has tanked. Very likely CHI would offer up one Patrick Kane, and TBL offer up one Steven stamkos, so the bidding really doesn't start anywhere lower than a superstar in return, no matter what.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Ok, I'll play along:

Assuming that Benn did request a trade, and would 100% sign with the team he's traded to, fair value from Montreal might be something along the lines of:

Pacioretty + Galchenyuk + Scherbak + 2017 1st

I wouldn't do that trade, but that's probably fair value I think.

Wow thats way too much for Benn.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I know it's a lot, but that's the kind of value Dallas would probably ask for

sure but dude I am a die hard Leafs fan and for me to think its too much I assume most Hab fans would lose their minds.
Patches+Scherbak+1st is more than enough for a rental

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
sure but dude I am a die hard Leafs fan and for me to think its too much I assume most Hab fans would lose their minds.
Patches+Scherbak+1st is more than enough for a rental

Fair. I agree with the trade you said as being more than enough, and it's probably the highest I would go, but with an extension in place, Pac+Chucky+Scherbak+1st is probably market value. I would never do that trade though, it would end up doing more harm than good

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Benn value is among the top 5 forwards in the league. And while everyone has a price the Stars GM would have to catch a real brainfart to let him get away. 30 to 40 goal 80 point players do not grow on trees anymore. What Dallas better do is make room to pay this guy next year. 8 to 9 mil will be the starting point.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Including Benns current contract and Dallas's expiring contracts this year we have almost 20M in space. I'm pretty confident Nill will sign him lol

Benn already said he wants to get a deal done before the season starts. He wants to stay in Dallas

But for fun, could you imagine if Dallas traded Benn and Seguin in separate deals. Assuming they moved each for 2-3 good young players, they'd be stacked!

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Ok, I'll play along:

Assuming that Benn did request a trade, and would 100% sign with the team he's traded to, fair value from Montreal might be something along the lines of:

Pacioretty + Galchenyuk + Scherbak + 2017 1st

I wouldn't do that trade, but that's probably fair value I think.

Thats an overpayment

35 goalscore winger on cheap contract + young 30 goalscorer #1C + potential 1st line winger + 1st rounder for a very good 85 point player

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Even then Laine would be considered a great, great success if he reaches Benn's level today. Benn is an absolute freak.

From the Sens, I'll just discard the demand comment, assume Benn 100% resigns and propose:

2017 1st + 2017 2nd + Hoffman + Zibanejad + Methot + Colin White

If that's not enough, switch Hoffman for Stone and add another pick.
But that 2017 1st would have great value... trust me.
I also doubt this would be enough.

I would essentially throw anything not named Karlsson in.

Why should we? This gets said around here quite a bit lately. Trust a random poster. OK, sure.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Jamie Benn is very much probably not leaving Dallas. This is purely a hypothetical to get through the summer.

Assume Benn had a massive falling out with the Stars, and refused to sign and demanded a trade before the season started. What would you offer for Benn?

More than any team would be willing to give up to get him. His value is like Crosbys or Malkins. Its too much for the other team to handle.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Forget a trade for a second.

What would a new 8 year deal be worth for Jamie Benn this summer and why? You are no longer an acquiring team in a trade you are Jim Nill trying to get a deal done.

Give me your best guess and why?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Forget a trade for a second.

What would a new 8 year deal be worth for Jamie Benn this summer and why? You are no longer an acquiring team in a trade you are Jim Nill trying to get a deal done.

Give me your best guess and why?

$80MM/8yrs heavily front loaded with signing bonuses

Comparable to Kopitar's but less than Toews/Kane cause the cap has not gone up as forecast when they signed. You can see the drop in high end with Stamkos and Hedman's deals

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Benn is like a Lambo, if you have to ask the price you can't afford it.

Selling your Lambo in a distress sale doesn't bring the full price.

Neither does trading Benn should he demand a trade with one year to free agency.

It's more like renting your Lambo out before it gets repossessed.

If Benn demands a trade, Dallas has a problem and they won't get full value for the remnant of his contract.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
$80MM/8yrs heavily front loaded with signing bonuses

Comparable to Kopitar's but less than Toews/Kane cause the cap has not gone up as forecast when they signed. You can see the drop in high end with Stamkos and Hedman's deals

Interesting I assume you like the front loading so the contact becomes more moveable in its last two years? Yea I don't see Nill getting away with less than $75 million over 8 years.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
If he publicly demanded a trade, then I think Laine for Benn 1 for 1 would be somewhat reasonable?

lol what??? You think they're going to trade one of the top 5 forwards in the game for a "Maybe"?

If it was Laine, you'd throw in Scheiffle on top too...and even then it would be questionable because neither of those two are remotely close to benn

varano

Jun 27, 2013
It doesn't matter what the conditions are....

For Jamie Benn, the asking price would be either another huge player back, a giroux, a malkin etc...

OR You're getting 2 First round picks, a 2nd round pick, 1 Amazing prospect, and one average prospect...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad