Value of: Jamie Benn

tbaypensfan

Jul 6, 2016
it depends on how much he is going to sign for before hand or if we have to sign him to a new deal. his contract is coming up and will be getting Stamkos money if not a little more (doesnt have the health history)

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Ok, I'll play along:

Assuming that Benn did request a trade, and would 100% sign with the team he's traded to, fair value from Montreal might be something along the lines of:

Pacioretty + Galchenyuk + Scherbak + 2017 1st

I wouldn't do that trade, but that's probably fair value I think.

Switch Chucky for Beaulieu and you have a deal.

FlipFlopPavelski

Jun 8, 2016
Bay Area
Either keep Benn for one year and let him walk, or trade him for a goaltender and a prospect. Like Benn for Lunqvist and Kreider would be a good deal for Dallas

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
I would like to say you can't trade enough, but look at the Subban/Webber and Hall/Larsson trades. I don't think there would ever be the desperation necessary in Dallas to make it happen, but who knows.

It seems you'd have to gut your team to make it happen. I think Nashville could make it happen. They have tremendous depth.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Seabrook + Anisimov + Schmaltz

That way we can have 3 players tied up for $30M:handclap:

Edit: I know this is not fair value, but this was the closest I could get to something that might actually work when counting salary + value.

Last edited:

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
He would be a bigger free agent than Stamkos. I wonder if his reps would ask him to consider free agency to sign with a market like Toronto or New York?

I feel the Aquilini's would give him a LOT just to spite Tom Gallardi.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
For 1 year of Jamie Benn?

Pacioretty + 1st + McCarron/Juulsen/Scherbak

So a 35+ goal scoring LW to replace Benn, a 1st and one of our top prospects (excluding Sergachev)

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
He would be a bigger free agent than Stamkos. I wonder if his reps would ask him to consider free agency to sign with a market like Toronto or New York?

He has said that he doesn't want to play in Canada or in a big market. He likes being in a place where he can have anonymity.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Benn isn't either so

he said arguably. I could understand how some would few him top 5 for sure. Just last year he won the Art Ross, and he is much more than a 1 dimensional player. this year he was over a point per game too

He may not be "the" best player in the NHL but he is in a cluster of talent right at the top. He is scoring like a best player in the NHL and there is allot more to his game than just scoring.

He is set for a monster pay day based on his talent and performance. A trade is not going to happen but I guess there is no harm in kicking around options for those who are bored in the summer.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Even then Laine would be considered a great, great success if he reaches Benn's level today. Benn is an absolute freak.

From the Sens, I'll just discard the demand comment, assume Benn 100% resigns and propose:

2017 1st + 2017 2nd + Hoffman + Zibanejad + Methot + Colin White

If that's not enough, switch Hoffman for Stone and add another pick.
But that 2017 1st would have great value... trust me.
I also doubt this would be enough.

I would essentially throw anything not named Karlsson in.
The would be too much for me...
-Hoffman
-White/Chabot/Brown (one of)
-2017-1st/2018-1st+2017-2nd (one of)

that would be my offer

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Dallas is an attractive market for players and the team is building a pretty good base. My guess is Dallas ownership and Benn will both want to get a deal done.

Interesting take on Aquilini's opening the wallet to spite Gaglardi but you would think it would be the other way around since Aquilini made off with the spoils of the battle no? Either way I imagine Gaglardi is satisfied with where things are at these days they seem to have a good thing going in Dallas on and off the ice.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Jamie Benn will be resigned, Jim Nill already said that's his #1 priority coming up.

I am not from Dallas but one poster mentioned Dallas fans think they will announce the deal tomorrow at the Stars Party in the Park and that seems like it makes sense to me from a timing perspective.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I am not from Dallas but one poster mentioned Dallas fans think they will announce the deal tomorrow at the Stars Party in the Park and that seems like it makes sense to me from a timing perspective.

Yeah there has been zero indication of a deal being worked out but Dallas likes to drop big announcements there

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I don't understand the proposals re: Pens, where people are talking about Letang or Malkin going the other way. I understand why Pens fans would say No to that, but I don't understand Stars fans not askin' for Murray.

I would have to think any Pit-Dal trade talk would have to start with Murray, and then some other dialogue about Pouliot, Sprong, and Kunitz.

I'm not suggesting the conversation ends with those 4 pieces going back the other way, I know that doesn't help Dallas "today" who are contenders "today". But there's no way Malkin or Letang are going back for Benn even if they're in the ballpark value-wise (even if you forget about the fact that OP said Benn put a gun to Nill's head).

Pittsburgh hates to exhaust the cupboards, but it's Jamie friggin' Benn. I think they have to consider it... with the hope that they can convince him to re-sign with a sweetheart deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->