Player Discussion James van Riemsdyk

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The year prior to this is was Laughton & Hayes. Combined over the last 3 seasons his top 5 linemates were

Laughton - 657 minutes
Frost - 550 minutes
Hayes - 490 minutes
Farabee - 464 minutes
Couturier - 420 minutes

HB: Konecny - 417 minutes
I like Laughton but I traded him in SIM because I needed more offense from my third line center - he’s feisty and plays hard but come on - that’s ridiculous pairing

Reactions: ON3M4N

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
How's he looked so far? I missed any games he played so far (if he has?)
I been to camp twice full practice and JVR big boy the hands - very good on wall as he’s been entire career

He’s got 300 goals is 34 not ancient and out of an ongoing yard sale organization on and off ice

New better everything

He will be on the PP

We all love Hall but he had 31 points total last season and as they were going 44-8-5 up to trade deadline he was in a 17 game goal scoring drought and posters here were crapping on him - go search won’t be hard to find

Betman handing Bedard to Chicago was great for Boston - out of Conference and changed Chicago mindset and allowed 2 years at 6 M moved

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Hall at 6 million aav and jvr at 1 million aav probably will score same amount of goals end of year especially knowing hall almost always lands on injured reserve. It's a no brainer.
I mean you’re right. Points will be similar. But halls way better at carrying the puck. He faster. He is better with out the puck. Halls a better play maker. I can probably keep going. Hall’s significantly better

How's he looked so far? I missed any games he played so far (if he has?)
Looks like an nhl vet effortlessly doing his pre season duties.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I mean you’re right. Points will be similar. But halls way better at carrying the puck. He faster. He is better with out the puck. Halls a better play maker. I can probably keep going. Hall’s significantly better
I loved Hall, and I agree he is the better all-around player, but I don't think he is six times better than JVR. Because of the Bruins cap problems it's hard to see how this was a bad move. No cap problems and I think we keep Hall and JVR can go pound sand.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
JVR has had a solid career. Health willing, he'll hit 1000 games this year. If he manages to stick around in the league for a couple more years, he could be around 350 goals/700 points when he hangs them up.

Reactions: BMC and Kegs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
JVR has had a solid career. Health willing, he'll hit 1000 games this year. If he manages to stick around in the league for a couple more years, he could be around 350 goals/700 points when he hangs them up.
I’ll be surprised if he grows on me. He excites me about as much as Danton heinen. Not that im mad about either. They are fine nhl players. I just don’t love them or think they move the needle. Trading Hall was probably the only option sadly. not a lot of teams have any salary cap space so there isn’t even a lot of trade options out there. It was inevitable.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Once a Bruins foe, James van Riemsdyk has found a familiar home in Boston
Van Riemsdyk has donned a Black and Gold sweater for just 23 of his 963 NHL regular-season games. He’s more known as a thorn in the Bruins’ side as a top-six stalwart with the Flyers and Maple Leafs.
In 49 career regular-season games against the Bruins, van Riemsdyk posted 18 goals and 19 assists, while more than a third of his 71 playoff games have come against Boston.
A 6-foot-3-inch winger capable of generating Grade-A chances by way of screens or slick seam passes, van Riemsdyk has made a living out of planting himself near the crease.

Van Riemsdyk’s allegiances shifted when he signed with the Bruins, but the 35-year-old’s game hasn’t changed much whenever he hops over the boards.

And so far, the Bruins have reaped the rewards.

“He’s holding on to pucks a lot more than I think he’s ever done — in a while, anyway — in his career,” coachJim Montgomery said Wednesday. “But what he’s added to us, one of the things we like to track is net-front battles. We seem to win that almost every night this year, and he’s one of the leaders in that.”

Signed to a one-year, $1 million deal in July, van Riemsdyk has been one of the best value adds across the NHL.

According to CapFriendly, van Riemsdyk ranks 17th in the NHL in cost per point ($62,500) with five goals and 11 assists in his first 23 games.

“They’re just smart players, so they know the times to move the puck, the times to hold it, the times to shoot it and things like that,” van Riemsdyk said of playing alongside David Pastrnak and Brad Marchand on the power play. “It seems like a simple thing, but when you make the right plays at the right times, it really helps open a lot of things up for everyone else.”

Van Riemsdyk also has established himself as a veteran resource in a dressing room anchored by Marchand.

“You knew how dialed in he was and how much he loved the game and stuff like that,” van Riemsdyk said. “But I think it’s always kind of fun and funny in a way when you battle with a guy for so long and then you get on their side and you realize how great of a guy they are. I think that’s the fun part of the game where you have these rivalries over the years and a lot of hotly contested games and things like that. And then when you get on the same team, you kind of get to see behind the curtain a little bit more and realize what the other person is really all about.”

Van Riemsdyk shared a sentiment routinely echoed by other players who land with the Bruins, where a culture cultivated by the likes of Zdeno Chara and Patrice Bergeron has made for an easy transition.

“You always hear about things. But until you experience it, you don’t really fully know,” van Riemsdyk said of playing in Boston. “There’s not any stones unturned as far as guys’ resources that they have available to us as far as the different avenues to help us be prepared to be at our best on the ice and take care of us off the ice mentally, and things like that. It seems like the group really tries to take care of each other. That’s been fun to be a part of.”

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
ES production has been meh but still exceeding expectations nonetheless

Really surprised by his passing ability
84674361-7D54-4BBD-91A3-3E58ECA13CE5.jpeg

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
He's a hockey IQ guy. No speed, not much finesse, but awareness plus sturdiness on his skates get him to quietly rack up points. He just knows where to be in the right spot to tip pucks or provide a bumper pass and is strong enough that most defenseman aren't moving him from those spots.

Reactions: BMC

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
He's a hockey IQ guy. No speed, not much finesse, but awareness plus sturdiness on his skates get him to quietly rack up points. He just knows where to be in the right spot to tip pucks or provide a bumper pass and is strong enough that most defenseman aren't moving him from those spots.
If he still had the speed he had 5-6 years ago here, it would be icing on the cake. But he's still very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad