Player Discussion James van Riemsdyk

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
He's a hockey IQ guy. No speed, not much finesse, but awareness plus sturdiness on his skates get him to quietly rack up points. He just knows where to be in the right spot to tip pucks or provide a bumper pass and is strong enough that most defenseman aren't moving him from those spots.
He's also really good on the forecheck...even though he isn't the fastest, he gets to the right areas and does a good job of protecting the puck and utilizing his linemates

Reactions: BMC

Thomas 11

Apr 15, 2018
Alberta Beach, Alberta
He is certainly exceeding my expectations. I was thinking 18/20, but he looks like a 50 point season is not out of the question. The thing I notice on tv is he seems like he is well liked by his teammates. I also think he is having a positive impact on T Fred. I think he looks up to him.

Reactions: BMC

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

James van Riemsdyk isn’t hard to find on the ice.
The veteran Bruin likes to hang out near the crease, where he’s been specializing in tipping shots and collecting rebounds for goals for 15 NHL seasons.
The left winger was back in his favorite spot in Tuesday’s 4-1 win over the Blue Jackets, collecting a goal and a pair of assists.
Van Riemsdyk now has 7 goals and 25 points in 34 games, the fastest player to earn his first 25 points as a Bruin since Marc Savard did it in 19 games in 2005-06.
Having played on several spots on the top three lines, Van Riemsdyk looked completely at home playing with Trent Frederic at center and Danton Heinen on the right side. He set up goals for both in the win.

“Obviously, it’s always nice to get rewarded with some points and especially in a game that helps the team win like that,” he said following Wednesday’s practice at Warrior Arena. “I’ve been trying to just find a consistent approach, game in, game out, to contribute within the structure that we’re trying to play.

“And obviously coming to a new team, there’s definitely some moments of learning things along the way and I think it helps, especially for someone like me, that I rely on some instincts. I think just having some things become more instinctual has been a bit of a help.”

Bruins coach Jim Montgomery, who coached against van Riemsdyk in their previous NHL stops, has learned a lot about the 6-foot-3-inch, 210-pounder this season. Certainly more than any scouting report could offer.

“How smart he is in support plays,” Montgomery said when asked what he’s learned. “When you coach against the guy, you see where he is and where he has his success. But how he helps a line connect especially offensively.

“And then I think the other thing is his willingness to sacrifice, individual accolades might not [be the word], but ice time, first power play. We’ve moved him around a bunch, and whatever’s best for the team, he just really fits with the Bruins culture of whatever’s best for the spoked-B is what he’s going to do and whatever we ask of him.”

Van Riemsdyk said that while he’s always had a team-first attitude, becoming a father has helped him focus on the bigger picture.

“I think as you kind of get older, your perspective is definitely much easier on that,” he said. “I think, too, having kids helps with that. You’re kind of less focused on your own self and you try to understand perspective as far as the whole group.

“So again, I think it comes with experience. I think you can be adaptable in that way. I think it helps you become more versatile as a player and more valuable to a team when there’s different spots we can be successful in and when we have different combinations that we can use in the lineup, things like that.

“It’s a good thing and gives us different looks that we can look at as the season goes on.”

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I hated him when he was a Flyer & then a Leaf. I love him as a Bruin because he's about the only one with the guts to park himself near the crease, take the punishment & still score goals on a regular basis.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I hated him when he was a Flyer & then a Leaf. I love him as a Bruin because he's about the only one with the guts to park himself near the crease, take the punishment & still score goals on a regular basis.
All of this.

I want a JVR Bruins tshirt.

If he gets re-signed I will buy a jersey

• Love
Reactions: Dr Hook and BMC

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Van Riemsdyk now has 7 goals and 25 points in 34 games, the fastest player to earn his first 25 points as a Bruin since Marc Savard did it in 19 games in 2005-06.
That's an interesting stat. Guess the B's don't really sign many offensive UFA's. Surprised some deadline pickups haven't hit that mark.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
He has done a good job of what we needed from him. Front of the net, put home the garbage. If we had more help up the middle I feel JVR would have been even more effective. I was so wrong about him, didn't think he would work here at all.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Was not a fan of him signing because I hated his stupid face but he's made it hard to keep disliking him. Great game today.
We have noticed (the last few games) he has been more feisty. I like it.

I really wanted him to get a hatty last night.

He has done a good job of what we needed from him. Front of the net, put home the garbage. If we had more help up the middle I feel JVR would have been even more effective. I was so wrong about him, didn't think he would work here at all.
You are not alone. He is a great pick up.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
We have noticed (the last few games) he has been more feisty. I like it.

I really wanted him to get a hatty last night.

You are not alone. He is a great pick up.
I did too. He's so good at cleaning up the garbage in front of the net, I just wish he knocked over more garbage cans while he's down there. He could be a nightmare for defenders in that space.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If someone told me back in august that JVR would be 3rd among wingers on this team in points and they’d have this record, I would have asked them which local dispensary they frequent.

Props to him for the work he’s put in this year.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think he's proven he's worth re-signing, maybe even 2 years. His game reminds me somewhat of Pavelski's in that they aren't the fastest guys out there, but they are still effective because of high hockey IQ and ability to work around the net and down low where they don't need the great wheels.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I think he's proven he's worth re-signing, maybe even 2 years. His game reminds me somewhat of Pavelski's in that they aren't the fastest guys out there, but they are still effective because of high hockey IQ and ability to work around the net and down low where they don't need the great wheels.
I want him re-signed. Hated him with Philly and even more in Toronto but now, I love him and what he brings to this team.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Always depends on the price. At 1 mil he's been great. But his production this year might get him significant $ on an open market.

Reactions: Dr Hook and Ladyfan

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Always depends on the price. At 1 mil he's been great. But his production this year might get him significant $ on an open market.
I wonder what his expectation will be and how much he likes playing in Boston. He'll get way more than a mil for certain. I would do 2 at 3 or 3.5, I think Bruins can manage that, and Heinen probably gets in that neighborhood too, with a little more term. It will be interesting, but I do hope the Bruins can find a way to keep him at a sensible price.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder what his expectation will be and how much he likes playing in Boston. He'll get way more than a mil for certain. I would do 2 at 3 or 3.5, I think Bruins can manage that, and Heinen probably gets in that neighborhood too, with a little more term. It will be interesting, but I do hope the Bruins can find a way to keep him at a sensible price.

He'll be 35 in May. The prudent move to me is you offer a 1-year at a slight raise but with him now eligible for performance bonuses to increase his earnings. You can't do the bonus structure on a multi-year contract. If he signs a multi-year the 35+ contract rule would apply.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He'll be 35 in May. The prudent move to me is you offer a 1-year at a slight raise but with him now eligible for performance bonuses to increase his earnings. You can't do the bonus structure on a multi-year contract. If he signs a multi-year the 35+ contract rule would apply.

Yes, good point- I knew he was close but didnt realize it would be his next contract. You're right, give him a 1 year and 1.5 and lay some bonuses in there. I hope that is where JVR is leaning too.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yes, good point- I knew he was close but didnt realize it would be his next contract. You're right, give him a 1 year and 1.5 and lay some bonuses in there. I hope that is where JVR is leaning too.

I'd have to think he likes it here. He's getting used in an important role and from an on-ice individual and team perspective, probably his most successful season in quite awhile. Who knows what the market dictates but I'd find it hard to believe he could find a better situation for him than he in Boston at this stage of his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad