Player Discussion James van Riemsdyk

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He's been playing for a dysfunctional Flyers team since then . He had 29 points in 61 games last season. That prorated is 39 points. 39 is no so far from 48 especially if he can stick on the 1st line with Pasta a d Zacha which Monty said would be where he slots him in. He may not get to 48 but the difference will be negligible.

No big difference between a hypothetical prorated 39 points and and actual 48 points?

Interesting.

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
He's been playing for a dysfunctional Flyers team since then . He had 29 points in 61 games last season. That prorated is 39 points. 39 is no so far from 48 especially if he can stick on the 1st line with Pasta a d Zacha which Monty said would be where he slots him in. He may not get to 48 but the difference will be negligible.

Recchi did it in the Julien system. Hall of fame IQ. Ability to think ahead of the play with lethal hand eye coordination and a surprisingly decent shot to the end. 5'10 winning battles in the crease at 43.

JVR is many tiers below at this point. Ten years ago, yes.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
why are we comaparing JVR to Recchi? Recchi is one of the best players in NHL history.

JVR was on a 39 point pace on a shitty team last year. If he plays regularly with say Zacha & Pasta, gets some PP time & stays healthy I think he can get 30+ points easy and will easily be worth his $1m contract. This is all that should really be in question, not comparing him to an incomparable player's season from 12 years ago.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
No big difference between a hypothetical prorated 39 points and and actual 48 points?

Interesting.
No big difference playing on a 26th OA team and the one he's joining.

Anyway, your, my or anyone else's opinion of what will happen is totally irrelevant . It will all play out over the course of the season . I stand by prediction.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I think your wrong.

there is such a thing a Salary Cap.

They played the exact same amount of games . Hall recorded 7 more points playing on a record setting team while JVR played on the 26th OA team . No way that's worth 5M.

I believe we are reaching to justify Sweeney's Hall trade. Hall played with a possession player in Coyle and whatever Frederic may be, as a playmaker last season. I think many are in for a surprise with his upcoming season in Chicago. Hall would have been a top 6 forward this season for the Bruins.

Hall was one of the very few who can carry the puck with any speed. He will be missed. JVR's only strength remaining appears to be close to the net rather than playmaking, puck carrying, or shooting etc.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I believe we are reaching to justify Sweeney's Hall trade. Hall played with a possession player in Coyle and whatever Frederic may be, as a playmaker last season. I think many are in for a surprise with his upcoming season in Chicago. Hall would have been a top 6 forward this season for the Bruins.

Hall was one of the very few who can carry the puck with any speed. He will be missed. JVR's only strength remaining appears to be close to the net rather than playmaking, puck carrying, or shooting etc.

Just because I make a comparison it doesn't mean I don't see the difference but production wise and salary wise the facts are the facts.

I hated seeing Hall go as much as the next guy, maybe more. It had to happen, when you don't have players on ELC's to insert into the lineup sooner or latter thats what is going to happen. I think of all the guys Sweeny acquired as ELC's. They are all contracts that can be buried if they're not working out. They had a roster to fill, someone had to go, all things considered Hall was the only option.

Reactions: Gordoff

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I doubt any GM willingly makes this trade!
in this cap climate? Really, what is so hard to believe about it? We practically had to give Hall away to the worst team in the league. Obviously 32 out of 32 GMs take Hall over JVR if the money is equal, but right now the vast majority of teams can't afford that option, especially with Hall's extra term.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I actually think JVR is going to have a very good season this year. If you look at his numbers among LW's over the last 3 years he ranks:

Goals - 34th
Points - 38th

His average for 82 games over those 3 years would put him around 22G/45P. He broke his finger early last year and missed time and also missed time the year prior with a broken hand. If he plays with Pasta & Zacha, gets some PP time and stays healthy, then I could see him being a 25G/50P guy. Interestingly enough JVR's production over the last 3 years is similar to DeBrusk.

JVR - 199 GP / 53G / 57A / 110P
JDB - 182 GP / 57G / 49A / 106P

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I actually think JVR is going to have a very good season this year. If you look at his numbers among LW's over the last 3 years he ranks:

Goals - 34th
Points - 38th

His average for 82 games over those 3 years would put him around 22G/45P. He broke his finger early last year and missed time and also missed time the year prior with a broken hand. If he plays with Pasta & Zacha, gets some PP time and stays healthy, then I could see him being a 25G/50P guy. Interestingly enough JVR's production over the last 3 years is similar to DeBrusk.

Do we know who JVR's linemates were in Philly?

This is a really fascinating year to me - there's a lot of players on the team that look poised to have either a great year because of a new environment or overwhelmed in their role because the prior torch bearers are gone. I can't wait to see how this team looks as the season goes on.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

This is a really fascinating year to me - there's a lot of players on the team that looked poised to have either a great year because of a new environment or overwhelmed in their role because the prior torch bearers are gone. I can't wait to see how this team looks as the season goes on.
By far his most common linemates were Frost and Tippett. His next two (only 40ish minutes each) were Laughton-Allison and Hayes-Allison.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
By far his most common linemates were Frost and Tippett. His next two (only 40ish minutes each) were Laughton-Allison and Hayes-Allison.

The year prior to this is was Laughton & Hayes. Combined over the last 3 seasons his top 5 linemates were

Laughton - 657 minutes
Frost - 550 minutes
Hayes - 490 minutes
Farabee - 464 minutes
Couturier - 420 minutes

HB: Konecny - 417 minutes

Reactions: HustleB and PB37

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The year prior to this is was Laughton & Hayes. Combined over the last 3 seasons his top 5 linemates were

Laughton - 657 minutes
Frost - 550 minutes
Hayes - 490 minutes
Farabee - 464 minutes
Couturier - 420 minutes

HB: Konecny - 417 minutes
Murderer's Row right there.

Reactions: NDiesel

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

This is a really fascinating year to me - there's a lot of players on the team that look poised to have either a great year because of a new environment or overwhelmed in their role because the prior torch bearers are gone. I can't wait to see how this team looks as the season goes on.
JVR in particular definitely is a an unknown quantity at this point. I don't know how a guy is supposed to be motivated playing in Philly in recent years. JVR hasn't exactly had stellar linemates but his shot pct has remained relatively stable, which is a good sign. In the Philly games I watched last season JVR was still out there hustling and playing respectable hockey. Doesn't hurt that he's a high-character person.

New environment. Better linemates. Change of scenery. Positive coach. Could be quite the bargain signing for DS. Having said all of that, my main worry is his lack of speed. How much has he declined physically will be the big question mark. If he can't keep up with the game outside of the PP then all of the positive stuff about him is pointless. I'm rooting hard for the guy, but also realize there is a reason DS was able to get him for $1M.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

Goals - 34th
Points - 38th

Part of me expects this. Part of me expects him to be a fringe 3rd liner. This guy is a major variable just like @missingchicklet said above.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
JVR in particular definitely is a an unknown quantity at this point. I don't know how a guy is supposed to be motivated playing in Philly in recent years. JVR hasn't exactly had stellar linemates but his shot pct has remained relatively stable, which is a good sign. In the Philly games I watched last season JVR was still out there hustling and playing respectable hockey. Doesn't hurt that he's a high-character person.

New environment. Better linemates. Change of scenery. Positive coach. Could be quite the bargain signing for DS. Having said all of that, my main worry is his lack of speed. How much has he declined physically will be the big question mark. If he can't keep up with the game outside of the PP then all of the positive stuff about him is pointless. I'm rooting hard for the guy, but also realize there is a reason DS was able to get him for $1M.
This is a nice wish, and I hope it's granted, but I don't think any of this is true. Sweeney's just throwing against the wall to see what sticks and I actually think Chiasson has a better chance of sticking than JVR.
You can say JVR had a hard time being motivated in Philly and blame it on being in Philly, but Philly fans will say signing JVR was part of what created their collapse. JVR imo is absolute garbage and that's also what 31 GMs thought at last year's deadline when Philly couldn't even get rid of him.

If JVR is any good I will be happy to eat my words, but my gut says if JVR is on our roster we will not be a very good team and might not even make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad