Player Discussion James van Riemsdyk

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Nice read...He could surprise.

The No. 2 overall pick from 2007 has elite hockey sense. ‘JVR’ can find soft areas and arrive to space in the offensive zone at the exact right time and become a threat in a number of different ways.

His first threat is with his shot. It’s not going to win a hardest shot competition, but it is deadly accurate and he can get it off quickly. He can occasionally beat goaltenders from distance with that accuracy and he uses his shot at times as an effective decoy to set up plays off the rush.

JVR’s next threat is with his hands. He has an innate ability to catch and release, to find loose pucks and get them off and under the bar from in-tight. JVR owns elite hand-eye coordination. He can be very effective at the net redirecting shots and can naturally extend coverage out and away from the crease because teams know about his ability to deflect incoming pucks from distance.

One thing about JVR is that he is willing to pay the price to win. He’s not afraid to go to the scoring areas in the offensive zone for looks. He won’t stand still and cross-check back and forth, trading barbs with opponents, but he is very good at navigating the goal mouth and spinning off checks to take advantage of second-chance opportunities. That is part from his hockey sense, part from his willingness to go there.

JVR also has a little bit of former teammate Jaromir Jagr in him. When he has the puck, it’s hard to get it off of him. He protects it well and isn’t quick to give it away, exercising poise and patience with it. He thought out and understood puck possession before the fancy stats. In the cycle game, he can effectively put the puck in his pocket and make small area plays to attacking teammates and then get to the net.

He can also be a very sneaky pain in the ass to play against. You might look at his skating and think that he is lazy on dump-ins, but watch closely and you will notice second and third efforts to get to pucks. Watch him also when he’s 1-one-1 with an opponent. He doesn’t give up. He is efficient with his movement, which has surprised someone like coach John Tortorella – what may appear to you as a lack of effort because it doesn’t look like he is flailing everywhere is actually quite deceiving.

With his experience, particularly playing somewhere between second and third line minutes for coaches, he can be moved up and down the lineup card. On top of that, ‘JVR’ is a fitness freak and takes great care of his body.
Almost got me excited that he had become something other than the cream donut I remembered.. but then I clicked the link and read the rest of that article ...

Buyer Beware​

No surprise, but JVR is not a burner by any means. He lacks acceleration and overall speed, so he isn’t a great transporter of the puck up the ice, especially under pressure. He won’t push defenders back in the neutral zone. That relegates him to the third forward into the zone on a lot of occasions, forced to find empty space and arrive on time for quick strikes.

Unfortunately, given his lack of foot speed and his desire to get to the net for second chances, that means his defense is sometimes left out to dry when he is on the ice. Odd-man situations do result, especially off turnovers in the neutral zone and the offensive blueline.

His strengths clearly lie in the attacking zone. He lacks either the sense or the ability to be a reliable defender. He can fail to track back hard, or punch out to get into shooting lanes, which can lead to great scoring chances against. JVR has never been confused as a physical player and also rarely eats shots in his own end when things break down. He has been credited with just 87 blocked shots over these last five seasons in Philadelphia (307 games), so he averages just about one block every four games. He could put himself into position with his big frame to better take up space or be harder to get around.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Almost got me excited that he had become something other than the cream donut I remembered.. but then I clicked the link and read the rest of that article ...
Yikes didn't see the Buyer Beware thing. Foot speed may cost him a spot on this team. Monty is looking for speed! You can't have 2 turtles on the team...that being JVR and Lucic. Speed killed them in the playoffs.

By the way every time I see your name pop up I think of this song...it's a beauty.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

For James van Riemsdyk, a return to New England was a no-brainer.
The veteran left winger, a former star at the University of New Hampshire, was one of the Bruins’ first signees in the moments after the free agency window opened July 1.
Often a thorn in the Bruins’ side during his stints with the Flyers and Maple Leafs, van Riemsdyk always thought he’d be a good fit in a Black and Gold sweater. General manager Don Sweeney and coach Jim Montgomery agreed, and the sides struck a one-year, $1 million deal.
Van Riemsdyk recently shed light on his decision to come to Boston — a city he knows well — and his excitement for the upcoming season.

“It was a combination of going to a team that you thought has a good chance to win and then being in a place where you think what you bring to the table can kind of fit in with what they currently have,” van Riemsdyk said from his summer spot in Minnesota.

“So, after talking with Monty and Sweens and how they see me fitting in, I was excited. So it made it a fairly easy decision, to be honest.”

Boston is familiar turf for van Riemsdyk, dating to his youth hockey days and continuing through his Hockey East experiences and NHL career.

“Growing up in New Jersey and playing hockey all over the East Coast, obviously we made tons of trips to Massachusetts and particularly Boston for different tournaments growing up,” he said. “I’ve met a ton of guys and it’s definitely a part of the country I’m super fond of because of those experiences and relationships.”

At 6 feet 3 inches and 208 pounds, van Riemsdyk is a big body who can plant himself in and around the crease and absorb punishment without giving up his position.

“His experience on the power play will be a big help,” said former UNH coach Dick Umile, who called van Riemsdyk a “special” player. “On the power play, there’s probably no one better at the net-front than he is. He’s made a living on the power play.”

Van Riemsdyk is eager to win over fans at the Garden after being the object of their ire for so many years.

“Over the years, playing against the Bruins has always been kind of like a measuring-stick game,” he said. “Obviously since I’ve been in the league, they’ve always been a contender. They’ve been right there every year making some strong playoff runs, so definitely excited to be on this side of it.

“But again, I think ultimately coming into any new place, you just want to try to be true to yourself as a player and a person to try to fit in the best you can with the group that’s currently there. So, obviously I’m being brought in to play a certain role and definitely excited for the opportunity to do that.”

Van Riemsdyk’s numbers were down last season in Philadelphia as he collected 12 goals and 29 points. Part of that can be attributed to injury, as he missed 21 games after suffering a broken finger.

Despite the many changes to the Bruins roster since their shocking first-round dismissal, van Riemsdyk is confident there are still plenty of pieces in place to build on.

“Joining a team that had as much success as they have, particularly last year, is super exciting,” he said. “Obviously everyone would like to have some playoff success and things like that. It’s such a fine line for having things go your way. But there’s lots of great players there and to get a chance to play with them, I’m super excited about it.”

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I am so all over this signing

Been sitting back observing and goofing around here but this is low risk high reward

He’s 6-8 years younger then Recchi when we got him and he’s legit A skills player in his day and a change of scenario in the best organization in hockey I expect a renaissance

I’m going 25+ goals if he’s on a line with Zacha & Pastrnak

This is going to be very interesting to watch - he could be toast but 34 with that size, brain, hands I’m going he’s really good

.#Sweenius

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Think he'll be on the 2nd PP unit? It'll be interesting if he and Shattenkirk end up "rejuvenating" the PP.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

Been sitting back observing and goofing around here but this is low risk high reward

He’s 6-8 years younger then Recchi when we got him and he’s legit A skills player in his day and a change of scenario in the best organization in hockey I expect a renaissance

This is going to be very interesting to watch - he could be toast but 34 with that size, brain, hands I’m going he’s really good

.#Sweenius
Recchi was 10x the player jvr is.

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
A - He turns back the clock, and produces very well in a top 6 role throughout the year. Not needing an upgrade if make playoffs.

B - Still has some game left in him, produces well, and can move up and down the lineup. Helps team stay in the hunt over a long season cheaply. If make the playoffs, ideally look for upgrade depending how well the team looks going into the playoffs.

C - Not much left, can still play 3rd line, produce good to decently for a 3rd liner, but if make playoffs, need a clear upgrade if want to make noise in playoffs.

D - Waiver folder. Cap buried.

Think the team would love for someone internally to step over him, even if he plays well, and he could be a good 3rd liner. Realistically, think they are hoping for option B. He can be a top 6 stop gap at least, and fill that need until they know what they have this season, and if goes well, can upgrade on him later and move him down as depth. Option A would be the dream scenario, very low probability.

Reactions: JOKER 192

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

.#Sweenius

I remember Recchi trying to fight Pronger. Even 2011 Recchi was a hell of a player.

Reactions: Kegs

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
I remember Recchi trying to fight Pronger. Even 2011 Recchi was a hell of a player.
Listened to an interview fairly recently where someone recalled him saying "I'm just gonna keep playing until they won't let me anymore", something to that effect. Pretty cool, loved him here, was too young to really see his earlier career though

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Heinen chassion lucic jvr shattenkirk geekie boqvist . Excellent el cheapo pick ups by donny maestro. Team will be in the thick of things. Book it! Let's go!

Let's, not pretend this is a stroke of genius. He did then only thing he could do given the circumstances. With that said , I think this shit is gonna work .

When all the chips have fallen and all the cards have been played I'm gonna say the Bruins get to the 2nd Rd in the PO's.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Let's, not pretend this is a stroke of genius. He did then only thing he could do given the circumstances. With that said , I think this shit is gonna work .

When all the chips have fallen and all the cards have been played I'm gonna say the Bruins get to the 2nd Rd in the PO's.
Ullmark is my horse to turn into hulk mode and take us deep.

Reactions: BMC and JOKER 192

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
1/10th is a stretch but so is thinking he will be even keel. Recchi put up 48 points in his final season at age 43. JVR hasnt done that since his age 29 season.
He's been playing for a dysfunctional Flyers team since then . He had 29 points in 61 games last season. That prorated is 39 points. 39 is no so far from 48 especially if he can stick on the 1st line with Pasta a d Zacha which Monty said would be where he slots him in. He may not get to 48 but the difference will be negligible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad