Proposal: James van Riemsdyk

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Hi All,

I'm not very familiar with Anaheim's cap situation but I wanted to see what the interest in JVR would be from the ANAHEIM fan base.

There have been a bunch of threads about this in the Leafs Forum and the Trade Forum but I wanted to see if Anaheim fans have any interest in him, and if so, what would Anaheim fans be willing to part.

From a Leafs perspective, obviously, we suck right now and even though JVR is really good, we have no need for him.

He's big and cheap and he puts up points. What would you guys offer (if anything)?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
We would like him, but most likely could not afford him until the trade deadline, if at all. That's how it works around here.

The leafs would have to take back salary for it to work (stoner), but I don't think they'd be down with that.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Not a huge fan of JVR myself. He's virtually never had much output away from Kessel, other than a bit of a playoff run next to Giroux. Given how different Getzlaf/Perry play from those two, I'm not really sure it's as great a fit as most seem to assume. Therefore, I probably value him less highly than HF average. I'd include a first and a prospect, but the prospect probably wouldn't be a particularly good one.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
The player discussion label scared me. For a moment I thought the Ducks traded for him.

You're not the only one. I nearly jumped off my seat thinking Bob had pulled the trigger on something stupid.

Somebody needs to change this thread title, so that nobody has a heart attack.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Not a huge fan of JVR myself. He's virtually never had much output away from Kessel, other than a bit of a playoff run next to Giroux. Given how different Getzlaf/Perry play from those two, I'm not really sure it's as great a fit as most seem to assume. Therefore, I probably value him less highly than HF average. I'd include a first and a prospect, but the prospect probably wouldn't be a particularly good one.

I agree. JvR is also terrible defensively and pretty one dimensional. He doesn't create a lot of offense on his own either. I don't think he is worth the premium that the Leafs will be asking for.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
What is JVR worth? Probably roughly to a Bobby Ryan. #2 overall, doing decent but perhaps a little disappointing.

So then roughly 3 x 1st round assets, but a couple of those assets are depreciating. One is a roster or near roster player.

Roster player (Silf): Sekac, Rakell, Hagelin.

Prospect (Noesen): Etem or Palmieri would have worked, but obviously not any more. I'm actually kind of blanking on something of similar value. Kerdiles, Montour, Sorensen? Pettersson?

All that said, I'm not really a fan of that price.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
A one dimensional player whose dimension happens to be scoring is fine by me.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
says the biggest bobby ryan hater

His symptoms from his time here have blossomed beautifully up north.

Teemu was never good defensively or physical but nobody could ever say he simply disappeared when he didn't score, they just didnt go in.

Bobby decided when he wanted to put his one dimension to use. He was a half dimension guy by the time he left.

DaDucks*

His symptoms from his time here have blossomed beautifully up north.

Teemu was never good defensively or physical but nobody could ever say he simply disappeared when he didn't score, they just didnt go in.

Bobby decided when he wanted to put his one dimension to use. He was a half dimension guy by the time he left.

What bobby is doing now has nothing to do with the fact that you and others were criticizing a proven goal scorer with our top line... Now, you're calling for a similar player? Your post is so satisfyingly ironic, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
What bobby is doing now has nothing to do with the fact that you and others were criticizing a proven goal scorer with our top line... Now, you're calling for a similar player? Your post is so satisfyingly ironic, thank you.

It's as if you chose not to read.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Being one dimensional wasn't Bobby's problem. Being invisible when he wasn't scoring was his problem.

BR would have likely gotten less grief if he made his presence seen and felt even when he wasn't scoring. As Static pointed out, Selanne is a good example of that. At least, until his last year or two, when I think he made his presence felt more through his mistakes. Still, he wasn't always scoring, but he was always working hard, and he was pretty consistently dangerous.

Bobby Ryan wasn't any of that. He was either scoring, or you could completely forget he was out there. You'd hear his name and think "oh, right. He's playing."

DaDucks*

It's as if you chose not to read.

yeah, i'm pretty lost... Bobby was a half dimensional player and JVR is 1, so that makes him better?

It sounds like you just want a scorer, but you were a huge critic of Bobby's, so tell me again what you're trying to defend in your post again?

DaDucks*

Being one dimensional wasn't Bobby's problem. Being invisible when he wasn't scoring was his problem.

BR would have likely gotten less grief if he made his presence seen and felt even when he wasn't scoring. As Static pointed out, Selanne is a good example of that. At least, until his last year or two, when I think he made his presence felt more through his mistakes. Still, he wasn't always scoring, but he was always working hard, and he was pretty consistently dangerous.

Bobby Ryan wasn't any of that. He was either scoring, or you could completely forget he was out there. You'd hear his name and think "oh, right. He's playing."

Isn't that what one-dimensional is?

Do I really need to entertain why Bobby would get more criticism than Teemu?
really?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
yeah, i'm pretty lost... Bobby was a half dimensional player and JVR is 1, so that makes him better?

It sounds like you just want a scorer, but you were a huge critic of Bobby's, so tell me again what you're trying to defend in your post again?

I already did defend it, its all there.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Isn't that what one-dimensional is?

Do I really need to entertain why Bobby would get more criticism than Teemu?
really?

No. Being one dimensional is being good at one aspect. Scoring goals. Defense. Whatever it is. It doesn't mean being worthless outside of that.

I don't know. Do you? Selanne got tons of criticism his last season here. He wasn't excused from it. He just didn't deserve it most of his career.

DaDucks*

I already did defend it, its all there.

Bobby's one dimension is scoring, just like JVR's....... which apparently you're fine with now...... glad you, and others have a bigger appreciation for goals now.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Bobby's one dimension is scoring, just like JVR's....... which apparently you're fine with now...... glad you, and others have a bigger appreciation for goals now.

At this point, you're hurting your own argument by ignoring the points he has made.

DaDucks*

No. Being one dimensional is being good at one aspect. Scoring goals. Defense. Whatever it is. It doesn't mean being worthless outside of that.

I don't know. Do you? Selanne got tons of criticism his last season here. He wasn't excused from it. He just didn't deserve it most of his career.

Static was trying to say otherwise, which I ignored.....

I'm drawing a correlation between Bobby and JVR in comparison to both of them being labeled one dimensional....If you have a different opinion, thats fine, but you aren't changing my views here. I especially do not think Bobby was weaker than Teemu when they both weren't scoring, its irrelevant to the discussion.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Thats the point Static was trying to make, which I ignored.....

I'm drawing a correlation between Bobby and JVR in comparison to both of them being labeled one dimensional....If you have a different opinion, thats fine, but you aren't changing my views here. I especially do not think Bobby was weaker than Teemu when they both weren't scoring, its irrelevant to the discussion.

You'd likely be in the minority in that opinion, but you were always Bobby's biggest fan boy. Give it up, man. Bobby had a chance to prove you right in Ottawa. He failed. He failed to make Team USA, and was called out on his intensity. He was given the opportunity to run his own line, and play with Getzlaf and Perry, and again and again he showed an inability to step up.

Interestingly enough, guess who showed he could step up? Silfverberg. Oh, he may never be the goal scorer Bobby was, but at least he contributes when he isn't scoring, and when the playoffs came around he gave it his all. He wasn't just a passenger like Bobby Ryan. That's Bobby's career right now. Never the driver, always the passenger.

DaDucks*

You'd likely be in the minority in that opinion, but you were always Bobby's biggest fan boy. Give it up, man. Bobby had a chance to prove you right in Ottawa. He failed. He failed to make Team USA, and was called out on his intensity. He was given the opportunity to run his own line, and play with Getzlaf and Perry, and again and again he showed an inability to step up.

He gathered tuns of criticism while he was scoring 30 goals per season is where I took my biggest issue.... I wasn't involved with trying to sell this board on Bobby's short comings. If his goals dropped significantly here, ya, I would of got it wrong.

Again, I'm happy the board would like to bring in a goal scorer, even if he's potentially one dimensional like Bobby...

BTW
I'm a big fan boy of the majority of our teams today, and in the past..............................

I do not think you can say the same, but flame away

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad