Confirmed with Link: James "Stealth Tumor" Neal traded for Jesus Hornqvist, Nick Spaling - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
We used to have 2 players in our top-6 that were above 5'11.. now we only have 1. Our bottom 6 is even worse from a size perspective.. this team is in serious need of size

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Love the folks who are pounding the table on Neal's playoff stats...

Well, Hornqvist has a total of 3 playoff goals in 24 games. That's a 10 goal pace over an 82 game season..

But does Hornqvist do ANYTHING else when he isn't scoring? Because Neal hasn't since maybe the first year against Tampa. (Do anything when not scoring)

That's an honest question...does Hornqvist in the playoffs, do anything if he's not scoring

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
We used to have 2 players in our top-6 that were above 5'11.. now we only have 1. Our bottom 6 is even worse from a size perspective.. this team is in serious need of size

Huh? Last year we started with Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis Jokinen-Malkin-Neal. 4 of the 6 were above 5'11. If you sub in Hornqvist for Dupuis, Bennett for Neal, and Kulemin for Jokinen, 4 of the 6 are still above 5'11.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
What ppl seem to not take into account are "the question isnt what Sid/geno can do for player X, but what player X can do for Sid/Geno"

I dont really care if Hornqvist scores 12 goals less than Neal. If he creates more space for our stars im sure that will even out. If Malkin wasnt on his game Neal almost never did a thing to help him. Maybe Hornqvist can create space or something. He goes to the net more in a game than Neal does in a season.

As it looks now we lost some goals, but time will tell if we gained some time and space for our stars.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
What ppl seem to not take into account are "the question isnt what Sid/geno can do for player X, but what player X can do for Sid/Geno"

I dont really care if Hornqvist scores 12 goals less than Neal. If he creates more space for our stars im sure that will even out. If Malkin wasnt on his game Neal almost never did a thing to help him. Maybe Hornqvist can create space or something. He goes to the net more in a game than Neal does in a season.

As it looks now we lost some goals, but time will tell if we gained some time and space for our stars.

Reads like a JFK quote. Hopefully the equivalent to a man on the moon is a cup for us.

M10

Dec 7, 2013
Haven't seen a statement anywhere or a response on twitter from Neal. I'm guessing he isn't taking it well. I wonder if he tells Nashville to flip him somewhere else? There's a reason no one signs in Nashville, it's because most players do not want to be in Nashville.

Dr Frasier Crane

Oct 16, 2008
Boston, MA
Haven't seen a statement anywhere or a response on twitter from Neal. I'm guessing he isn't taking it well. I wonder if he tells Nashville to flip him somewhere else? There's a reason no one signs in Nashville, it's because most players do not want to be in Nashville.

He just got off a conference call in which he spoke very highly about Nashville and how he is looking forward to being a leader on their team.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Haven't seen a statement anywhere or a response on twitter from Neal. I'm guessing he isn't taking it well. Wonder if he tells Nashville to flip him somewhere else. There's a reason no one signs in Nashville, it's because most players do not want to be in Nashville.

Well that's quite a leap. He only tweets twice a month anyway, not like he just stopped tweeting all of a sudden.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Dave Molinari @MolinariPG
James Neal on conf. call: “I couldn’t be more excited to be with the Nashville Predators.” Also thanked Pgh “for everything over past 3 yrs”

James Neal: “Things are changing here. We’re going to be a more offensive team.”

James Neal: “I need to step up and be a top guy on this team.”

James Neal, on discipline lapses with Penguins: “There obviously are things that happened in my game that I regret.”

James Neal, on Predators: “We have great goaltending. We have great defensemen. We’re starting to build our offense.”

James Neal, on Penguins: “Sometimes, those (expectations) can hurt you a little bit. It’s hard to put your finger on why we didn’t succeed.”

James Neal, on Predators: “Things are changing for the best.”

James Neal: “I think my game fits the style of play in the West just fine.”

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Love the folks who are pounding the table on Neal's playoff stats...

Well, Hornqvist has a total of 3 playoff goals in 24 games. That's a 10 goal pace over an 82 game season..

Yeah, but Hornqvist is a Pen now and the modern day Dino Ciccarelli. I imagine about 1% of this board has watched a Nashville game in the last few years where the Pens weren't involved.

My biggest issue with him is that outside of being disruptive in the crease, there's not one part of his game I think of as a clear plus.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, but Hornqvist is a Pen now and the modern day Dino Ciccarelli. I imagine about 1% of this board has watched a Nashville game in the last few years where the Pens weren't involved.

My biggest issue with him is that outside of being disruptive in the crease, there's not one part of his game I think of as a clear plus.

Hes a complete player. And Neal was a perimeter sniper when he left. I can think of many parts to his game that are superior. Defense, producing without an elite center, heart, net work, corner battles, agitating without taking penalties, leader in the room.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Hes a complete player. And Neal was a perimeter sniper when he left. I can think of many parts to his game that are superior. Defense, producing without an elite center, heart, net work, corner battles, agitating without taking penalties, leader in the room.

I'm not so sure if I'd consider Hornqvist a complete player in the sense that he does most things well, though consider this from a guy who only watched about a half-dozen Nashville games over the last two seasons.

He certainly plays hard, but so does Dupuis and Dupuis gets **** on for playing a top-6 role. Skating-wise I'd call him nothing more than average and the one thing I hear all the time pertaining to playing with Crosby is that he needs speed with him. Dupuis does a lot of the things I imagine that are going to be asked of Hornqvist but is persona non-grata around here for his role as a top-6'er, and this was before his injury. Also haven't seen much to suggest Hornqvist is particularly physical. To me, he came off as just a guy in that aspect of the game and he's not much of a playmaker either.

I kind of look at like they brought in a younger, slower, right-handed shot with better hands in tight to play in a manner that's not too entirely different from how Dupuis was used and I'm not sure if such a move was the best choice for the organization. It also irks me a bit with all the press clippings regarding the leadership he brings, not because he's not a leader because I wouldn't know, but it's the same spiel that's repeated for every player the team has brought in through a trade the last few years and it makes me wonder what's the deal with the supposed leaders of this team in that this team always seems to be on the lookout for guys to come in and take hold of a leadership role.

Maybe I'm just a bit burnt out with this team at the moment and am looking at them through a negative lens.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
I'm not so sure if I'd consider Hornqvist a complete player in the sense that he does most things well, though consider this from a guy who only watched about a half-dozen Nashville games over the last two seasons.

He certainly plays hard, but so does Dupuis and Dupuis gets **** on for playing a top-6 role. Skating-wise I'd call him nothing more than average and the one thing I hear all the time pertaining to playing with Crosby is that he needs speed with him. Dupuis does a lot of the things I imagine that are going to be asked of Hornqvist but is persona non-grata around here for his role as a top-6'er, and this was before his injury. Also haven't seen much to suggest Hornqvist is particularly physical. To me, he came off as just a guy in that aspect of the game and he's not much of a playmaker either.

I kind of look at like they brought in a younger, slower, right-handed shot with better hands in tight to play in a manner that's not too entirely different from how Dupuis was used and I'm not sure if such a move was the best choice for the organization. It also irks me a bit with all the press clippings regarding the leadership he brings, not because he's not a leader because I wouldn't know, but it's the same spiel that's repeated for every player the team has brought in through a trade the last few years and it makes me wonder what's the deal with the supposed leaders of this team in that this team always seems to be on the lookout for guys to come in and take hold of a leadership role.

Maybe I'm just a bit burnt out with this team at the moment and am looking at them through a negative lens.

Wouldn't Milan Michaluk be a good fit for Sid on wing? Seems like Dupuis only without the hands of stone

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
James Neal @jneal_18
I want to thank the @penguins organization and all my teammates for the past three years. I'm forever grateful for my time spent in PA.

James Neal @jneal_18
That being said, I can't wait for a new start in Nashville and I'm really excited to join the @PredsNHL!

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Have there been any comments yet from Hornqvist and Spaling about the trade here?

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Have there been any comments yet from Hornqvist and Spaling about the trade here?
Spaling, yes. Hornqvist, no. Thought I read that he's back home in Sweden.

“I’m excited to join an organization like the Penguins,” Spaling said. “I knew getting traded was a possibility, but I didn’t know for sure. Obviously, I had no idea where. To find out Pittsburgh was great, I feel like it’s a great organization to be a part of.”

“Playing the corners, playing the front of the net, playing the so-called hard areas, that’s the style of my game,” Spaling said. “I just want to bring the work ethic, compete every night and make sure I do whatever it takes to win. I want to contribute offensively and defensively. It’s going to be a change, but I’m looking forward to it.”

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=724389

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad