James Sheppard Appreciation

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
I don't know. It seems like from a young age James has been teaching others that. Daigle, Stefan, Jessiman, Thelen all have to be Sheppard proteges.

North Metro Peewees

Oct 19, 2008
Philly Stupid
Not at all. Does anybody know how he looked (sounded?) in the Nashville game? Tuesday was a step in the right direction for him, despite all his break dancing.

I watched on Center Ice and he worked hard and created a couple of chances although most of the team was so bad it was hard to notice any of them. My take after signing Casey Wellman he has been 100% better although he still doesn't create enough offense.

I still believe if you could deal him for another underachiever it may benefit both teams and it still wouldn't surprise me if at some point the offense starts clicking for him.

By the way during the Olympic break we had practice at Schwan's Super Rink and went upstairs for dryland after and I could have sworn Sheppard was working out up there.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I watched on Center Ice and he worked hard and created a couple of chances although most of the team was so bad it was hard to notice any of them. My take after signing Casey Wellman he has been 100% better although he still doesn't create enough offense.

I still believe if you could deal him for another underachiever it may benefit both teams and it still wouldn't surprise me if at some point the offense starts clicking for him.

By the way during the Olympic break we had practice at Schwan's Super Rink and went upstairs for dryland after and I could have sworn Sheppard was working out up there.

He's playing better b/c he knows he's about to either 1) be demoted to Houston or 2) traded to some other team where he'll probably be waived anyways. He may be a good guy off the rink, but I'm tired of players who bring one thing to the team. Boogaard is another one that needs to go away.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Sheppard on the 1st line.....

hellfo.jpg

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
How much would you guys wager that Sheppard falls down in warm-ups and goes, kid from St. Cloud State, on the bit and crashes in head first? Thus knocking him out of the game for his big opportunity?

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
Let's look at the positive of this - at least Scott Pellerin is not leading the team with thirty-nine points despite being traded to New Jersey Carolina.

Last edited:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
How much would you guys wager that Sheppard falls down in warm-ups and goes, kid from St. Cloud State, on the bit and crashes in head first? Thus knocking him out of the game for his big opportunity?

If that happens, I will forever know that God has a sick and twisted sense of humor

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
I wonder if Russo reads this thread. From his blog:

Richards said this provides James Sheppard with "another opportunity." His last "big opportunity" came when Eric Belanger was traded. He has no points in 12 games since, and has no points in 29 consecutive games. His last point was ... Dec. 11.

Cue Richards: "His last game against San Jose, he took a step backwards because I thought his play started to move in the right direction. Tonight's another opportunity for him. We're playing in a tough building, usually a hostile environment against the rough and tough Philadelphia Flyers. It's tradition here. This is a great place to play. It's a great atmosphere, but you've got to show up. You can get exposed here pretty quickly. There's no place to hide here. And for Shep, it's another opportunity. And for a young player looking for opportunity, there's none better when there's ice time available. there's ice time on the power play available."

Sheppard's best game of the season might have been the last exhibition game of the preseason here. That was a looooooooong time ago.

youvegotit*

Shep stat of the day:

James has a shooting percentage of 3.6, good for 600th in the league. Making the most of his chances.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
Shep with his first point of 2010 tonight! Woo!

Shep stat of the day:

James has a shooting percentage of 3.6, good for 600th in the league. Making the most of his chances.
Given there are 690 roster slots (although more than 690 players have suited up in the NHL this season) and sixty of them are goalies, that's a sad and amazing stat for a forward.

mnwildgophers

Mar 5, 2010
MN
Well if the season started today....and he got his assist like he did tonight, we could all be proclaiming him as PPG player, unfortunately for all of us, it's 70 or so games in.

I wonder what we do with him next year.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Well if the season started today....and he got his assist like he did tonight, we could all be proclaiming him as PPG player, unfortunately for all of us, it's 70 or so games in.

I wonder what we do with him next year.

Fletcher will scope it out to see if anyone will take him, or if he can be part of a deal that will send something our way. I think if he feels no one is nibbling at him (which no one will touch him with a 10ft pole a strip club), Fletcher will sign him to a 2-way contract and he will send him down to Houston. Sheppard knows this, hence why he is beginning to attempt to pick up his game.

mnwildgophers

Mar 5, 2010
MN
Fletcher will scope it out to see if anyone will take him, or if he can be part of a deal that will send something our way. I think if he feels no one is nibbling at him (which no one will touch him with a 10ft pole a strip club), Fletcher will sign him to a 2-way contract and he will send him down to Houston. Sheppard knows this, hence why he is beginning to attempt to pick up his game.

So if he doesn't decide to sign a 2-way contract, do we let him leave? How does that all work? I know as a RFA, he has a lot less bargaining power, but I wonder if we can find some way to put him in a deal. I'm sure that some struggling team may take him on (or we can hope).

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
So if he doesn't decide to sign a 2-way contract, do we let him leave? How does that all work? I know as a RFA, he has a lot less bargaining power, but I wonder if we can find some way to put him in a deal. I'm sure that some struggling team may take him on (or we can hope).

He has basically no bargaining power, his rights belong directly to the Wild. Other teams may throw him an offer, which some may depending on what they need, and then we have a week to figure out if we can match the deal or we will be compensated a draft pick within the group Sheppard fits into and he can sign with that team. So ultimately his fate lies in Fletcher's hands moreso than anyone else. Regardless of where he goes, it'll be a 2-way deal, and then its just up to his agent to find the teams where he could potentially see playing time like the Isles and Thrashers who either get plagued with injuries or he may be better than some of their players already on the 3rd/4th line. For the most part, he'll go right where he needs to go and that is the AHL.

In fact, even if he was part of a deal to get someone, more than likely the only reason the opposing GM will take on the deal is because of whatever else is in it, and either offer league min. to Sheppard on a 2-way deal or waive him. The issue with Mr. James, is he suffers the same thing Benny had.....no drive to want to better himself in any way. He has accepted that he is the black sheep of the team since Benny left and that he is the scapegoat to all our jokes and laughter with the team. The only reason he started playing hard is there are constable threats on this team now that jeopardize his roster spot for the first time in 2 years.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
What is the most we could reasonably expect to get in return? Could he fetch a low 2nd?

Straight from the CBA:

Amount
Compensation Due

$863,156 or less
None

$863,156 - $1,307,811
3rd round pick

$1,307,811 - $2,615,623
2nd round pick

$2,615,623 - $3,923,434
1st and 3rd round pick

$3,923,434 - $5,231,246
1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick

$5,231,246 - $6,539,061
Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick

$6,539,061 or more
Four 1st round picks

so basically, in Shep's case we would be very lucky to get a 3rd rounder for him, if anything at all.

youvegotit*

Someone in the trade forum suggested this:

Ottawa: Chris Kelly + rights to Ilya Zubov

Minnesota: Sheppard and a 4th.

I think I'd take that deal.

I'd personally rather have a 3rd rounder, or a later pick or that puck bag then Kelly and his 2 years left at 2.125 mil or whatever it is.

IMO maybe we can package Shep and our second for another second like one spot before or something? (i.e. Shep and the 40th pick for the 39th pick in the draft) I was thinking about adding the puck bag with the 39th but that might be pushing it.

Actually looking into it, i'd take the Kelly deal, I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad