James Reimer's Arbitration Case

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
:laugh:

no.

it's just nuts to me that people keep wanting to cling on to pieces that don't work here. Not taking anything away from Reimer - but he doesn't work here anymore.the faster he goes is the best for everyone.

shakes head.

No goaltender in their 20's would be satisfied with a backup role. any goaltender they bring up, will feel the exact same way - unless they get a goaltender just looking for a retirement package or a rebound chance.

I have yet to hear any young goaltender say they don't want to start, and are accepting of sitting on the bench that is worth any associated cap space.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
shakes head.

No goaltender in their 20's would be satisfied with a backup role. any goaltender they bring up, will feel the exact same way - unless they get a goaltender just looking for a retirement package or a rebound chance.

I have yet to hear any young goaltender say they don't want to start, and are accepting of sitting on the bench that is worth any associated cap space.

The thing is, it doesn't matter what they want. Its what they are capable of. I want to be a #1 center in the NHL and have Mila Kunis as my wife but just because I want that doesn't mean it is realistically going to happen. The sooner Reimer and every other 20 something unproven goalie realizes that the better it is for them.

The best those goalies can hope for is landing in a spot like Edmonton, Winnipeg where the net is up for grabs for a couple seasons if you are able to seize the opportunity.

Reimer had his shot at the Leafs net but he wasn't consistent enough or good enough to stop the management from going out and trying to upgrade the position(and succeed at doing it). He should be frustrated but not with the Leafs, with himself. He had huge games to close out the season and some games he made an ass of himself seconds into the game only sealing the deal that he isn't going to fit here.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
shakes head.

That's. not. the. point. that I'm making. It is not just the fact that he would be satisfied in a backup role - it's that James Reimer can not PLAY PROPERLY IN A BACK UP ROLE

Every time I brought up that James Reimer looked like crap in net - the #1 defense (if it wasn't blaming the Leafs system/shots on goal etc) was that Reimer lacked confidence, and/or needed more playing time to get in a rhythm.

Fine. I accept that.

Ergo: James Reimer - who has said he wants to be a starter in the NHL, who feels that he CAN be a starter in the NHL, who - according to his staunch defenders needs playing time, and confidence to accomplish that is going to achieve this how exactly playing as a Toronto Maple Leaf?

the 1A-1B system is flat out dead. The fact that Shanahan wants someone else (please note - this makes it the third head of management to look at the goaltending featuring James Reimer in some capacity and said "it's not good enough.) and has stated that Bernier is his starter. (look it up in the National post when they were talking how Shanahan was wooing Brodeur).

This means - Bernier is going to play at least 55 games (the amount he played last season before he got injured). If I were a betting woman, I'd say that Randy is going to challenge him for 65 to see if he needs it.

THIS MEANS - James Reimer - is going to be playing anywhere between 17-27 games - which probably means the same scenarios he faced last season - most of the end of the back to backs, facing rested teams.

And the fact that he couldn't handle it last year when he was battling to become #1, and couldn't put it together when the season is on the line - makes me wonder where on earth people are getting this idea that "Oh this year will be different because he's now auditioning for a starter's job somewhere else, because you know - he's good." (spit out stats here).

For me - this is beyond me not liking him as a goaltender, or his attitude, or the fact that I think the Leafs could do better than one James Reimer. The situation to me reads like this

* We have a player who does not want to be a Toronto Maple Leaf. (I do not care if he has not publicly stated it - the fact that he nor his agent has denied the fact makes me believe that his party leaked it out - because it would not benefit the Leafs to leak out that the player wants to be traded as it would put us behind the eight ball

*Who does not see him self in any capacity as a back up goaltender, and wants to be starter, not a backup

*who will be playing backup.

*who sucked at it last year. the Last start he won was January 21st 2014. He lost everything else. He was something outstanding like 0-16 (or 0-12) in his final start total. (the only wins he had was the 2 games Bernier was playing and got injured).

And he's now he's coming back this time not fighting for anything because it's now assumed, does not like the coach, (allegedly), does not want to be a backup - and mentally can't adjust or wrap his head around what he has to do for the time being. (unlike - other goaltenders (see Bernier) who want to be traded so they can fight to be a starter - but still can find a way to win a freaking game).

So. where in that - does anyone have the belief that Reimer is the best option in this scenario? Because in my mind - the best way to show that you can be a starter in the National Hockey League? Finding a way to get 6 points in a 5 game stint when all you NEED is 6 points to all but secure a playoff spot. (as was the case when Bernier went down).

I do not think he's the best goalie to have around (I'd rather have a Budaj type, or a Vokoun - someone who is capable of playing long stretches of times, after not playing long stretches of time (in case of injury) or capable of stealing a playoff series, or - we break in one of our goalie prospects. that's the best case scenario for me this situation.

I 100 percent personally believe he is not that guy. MLSE through 2 GMS and a President doesn't believe he's the guy. And he can have the numbers to indicate otherwise, but that doesn't mean that he's the best guy challenging for the position. Not in Toronto, anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad