James Reimer's Arbitration Case

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
I believe that it's the player who chooses. The arbitrator will award the player with a 1-year and a 2-year contract, then the player picks the one he wants.

from what i understand. if the player is choosing salary, then the team chooses term.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
from what i understand. if the player is choosing salary, then the team chooses term.

That sounds reasonable to me...

As well I think Franson will go to arbitration and Reimer will not. If Reimer wants to be traded he has two options settlement on a reasonable cap hit that would allow us to trade him....or have the arbitrator awards him enough so that we would walk away and I do not see that happening.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

Whichever side didn't file for arbitration chooses the term:

(c) Election of Term.
The party against whom a salary arbitration election was filed (i.e., the Club in
Player-elected salary arbitration and the Player in Club-elected salary arbitration) shall elect in its brief whether the salary arbitration award shall be for a one or two-year SPC. Failure to make such an election shall be deemed to constitute an election for a one-year SPC.

If a player is one year away from UFA status, it will be a 1 year term. Which is the case for Reimer:

Notwithstanding the foregoing: (i) the Club or the Player, as the case may be, shall be entitled to elect only a one year SPC if the Player is within one (1) year of attaining the age and experience level required for Group 3 Player status;

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think it's a more realistic option than assigning him to the AHL.

I suspect you're right. I just can't see how they will want him around the Team although he may have grown up a bit since last year.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
i think in order for reimers agent to be able to plead his case that reimer deserves that much money he would need show that reimer at the very least is a 1b goalie and there is a tandem situation going on in toronto. i think that will be impossible given the amount of games bernier played.

i think it is pretty crystal clear that bernier is the starting goalie and while the leafs think reimer is a decent goalie he is still a backup. he doesnt have the numbers to back up his case and he doesnt have the position either. at least with bozak he could argue he plays on the 1st line. according to cap geek these are goalies who are in and around the $2.2-3.2 million cap range.

Anderson, Craig 4 $3,187,500
Fasth, Viktor 2 $2,900,000
Bernier, Jonathan 2 $2,900,000
Ramo, Karri 2 $2,750,000
Neuvirth, Michal 2 $2,500,000
Elliott, Brian 3 $2,500,000
Bishop, Ben 2 $2,300,000
Scrivens, Ben 2 $2,300,000

i would have a hard time being convinced that reimer deserves more money then most of the people on that list.

1) anderson who is older and a proven starting goalie is for sure better
2) bishop got nominated for a vezina and is a starting goalie
3) elliot is older and has a long history of being a solid 1b goalie.
4) bernier is the starting goalie, either way he is clearly the better goalie

imo reimer falled somewhere between scrivens and fasth so $2.5 million while i think overpaid is probably where it will end up. i just cant see an argument that he deserves more then $3. i really hope if your numbers about asking price and counter are accurate the leafs counter is only good up until arbitration. if reimer is starting at $3.2 the leafs should start at his qualifying offer $2.07 and probably end up at $2.5 million.

can someone confirm that if a player chooses arbitration the team can select 1 or 2 years for the duration of the contract? nothing would give me greater pleasure then shannahan/nonis forcing reimer to stay for 2 years here.

I agree 100%. But it's not what you think, it's what you can prove, and the numbers show that Reimer and Bernier are essentially the same goalie.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I am sure he will just as sure as I am the Leafs will go the other way and mention the melt-downs.

PS is it true the leafs can't walk on any contract of 3.7 million or less as an earlier post indicated? (this question is for anybody)

You can't really quantify a meltdown. Arbitration isn't about anecdotes, it's about numbers, and the numbers show he is a good to great playoff goalie.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Same here.

There has only been 1 hearing in the entire NHL for the last 3 years and over 60 players have filed.

really? wow.
one that will be interesting to keep an eye on would be one Mr. Pernell Karl Subban. he may be #2 on that list.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Should have kept Drew MacIntyre. Now, if Reimer is traded, we have zero goaltending depth. Aside from Bernier, we have Gibson and Sparks with a total of like 36 AHL games experience between them.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In case some of you are interested these are the CBA rules and restrictions for arbitration.

The evidence that can be used in arbitration cases:

The player's "overall performance" including statistics in all previous seasons.
Injuries, illnesses and the number of games played.
The player's length of service with the team and in the NHL.
The player's "overall contribution" to the team's success or failure.
The player's "special qualities of leadership or public appeal."
The performance and salary of any player alleged to be "comparable" to the player in the dispute.

Evidence that is not admissible:

The salary and performance of a "comparable" player who signed a contract as an unrestricted free agent.
Testimonials, video and media reports.
The financial state of the team.
The salary cap and the state of the team's payroll.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
If I were Reimer:

The player's "overall performance" including statistics in all previous seasons.
good save percentage, good goals against average, got the team to the playoffs,

even with concussions and the like still played a lot of games

homegrown player, 4 years with the team

battled hard, played great when needed, got the team to the playoffs, stole games 5-6 in Boston and Toronto to force game seven

they call me Optimus Reims, i am really liked in the city

The performance and salary of any player alleged to be "comparable" to the player in the dispute. has similar numbers to current starter Bernier + Crawford

If I were The Leafs

fair to middling, has great numbers compared, however, has not looked 'good' doing so, as in we have to 'come back' or late goals cost us points

several concussions in the past, whose to say if he's healthy enough?

homegrown player, 4 years with the team

though he has kept us in at times, and fought to stave off elimination - in full 82 game seasons - Reimer was the starter of record when the team collapsed three years ago, and in the playoffs, causing us to lose in overtime, and when our starter was injured, the inability to get us to overtime or a shootout to gain points on our competitors. His only wins since Christmas was 1 (as a starter) and 2 in relief.

(I may be off on the 1 win as a starter - but he did not win a lot, he was like 0-16 in starts overall by the end).

he is popular, though most leafs are popular in toronto. this should not be held in his favour

(and i doubt people can argue defense - but Reimer could go "BUT THE DEFENSE!" and Leafs can go "Bernier faced said same defense,)

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
You can't really quantify a meltdown. Arbitration isn't about anecdotes, it's about numbers, and the numbers show he is a good to great playoff goalie.

Reimer? based on one series, where the team collapsed but he let in all the goals?

I know it's easy to say, but shouldn't they (management) have seen this coming?

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Reimer? based on one series, where the team collapsed but he let in all the goals?

I know it's easy to say, but shouldn't they (management) have seen this coming?

Reimer, based on one series, stopped 92.3% of the shoots he saw. That is easily above average. That is the stat. The NHL doesn't track meltdowns/bad games/jinxes/paranormal activity/etc.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is smiling after a loss tracked as a stat?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I just think it's cool that most people here seem to feel the best option is to keep Reimer around (at least for now). At the end of last season it seemed like most people wanted him tarred and feathered and thought he was a total bum.

I guess the summer has mellowed people out and emotions have died down a bit.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I just think it's cool that most people here seem to feel the best option is to keep Reimer around (at least for now). At the end of last season it seemed like most people wanted him tarred and feathered and thought he was a total bum.

I guess the summer has mellowed people out and emotions have died down a bit.

not me. my feelings on Reimer is pretty much this:

I do not think he's the best choice - for the SIMPLE FACT he doesn't want to be a backup. the end. even if you ignore everything else - he is not going to be happy playing less. so. get a goalie who wants to be a backup for a few years and challenge to be the #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad