Player Discussion James “The Real Deal” Neal a Flame! 5 years, 28.75 million.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Also, we feel kind of Vegasish . . . Decent talent across the board, could surprise if the group gels - something we're so in need of for a change.

We've completely embraced their model. Now if Peters can get the boys to click like Gallant did, there's a run to be had here.

We're more or less a Vegas with a high talent (Gaudreau), better D, Similar depth and worse goaltending.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ryan and Frolik are excellent skaters.
Brouwer's not a terrible skater, he's just not great either.

My concern, as always, with Brouwer is that he drags people down to his level. We look like idiots if Ryan becomes a negative possession player with 15 points a season ripping around with Troy.
If it doesn't work, we try something different. I'm pretty sure Ryan is an average skater, I recall it being mentioned by a few Canes posters, he's weak and not quick which costs him defensively.

Also, there is zero actual proof Brouwer dragged anyone down, just Bennett fanboys that can't seem top wrap their heads around the fact he produced just as badly without Brouwer. But of course, it's all Brouwer's fault for dragging him down.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I believed.

150075_96477ab4b36d406c990aa1561e310b72.gif

It's about a year too long and 750K too much but for the next few years, this will help a lot.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Neal - Jankowski - Lindholm
Bennett - Backlund - Ryan
Hathaway - Shore - Czarnik
Brouwer/Lazar

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I believed.

150075_96477ab4b36d406c990aa1561e310b72.gif

It's about a year too long and 750K too much but for the next few years, this will help a lot.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Neal - Jankowski - Lindholm
Bennett - Backlund - Ryan
Hathaway - Shore - Czarnik
Brouwer/Lazar

Neal is a real life RW. We haven’t had many of those so you’re forgiven.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
We've completely embraced their model. Now if Peters can get the boys to click like Gallant did, there's a run to be had here.

We're more or less a Vegas with a high talent (Gaudreau), better D, Similar depth and worse goaltending.
Calgary's D is much better than Vegas's especially if Brodano returns to form. The key will be Peters. Will he be able to show that he can coach a team like Q, Babcock, Gallant, and DeBoer?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If it doesn't work, we try something different. I'm pretty sure Ryan is an average skater, I recall it being mentioned by a few Canes posters, he's weak and not quick which costs him defensively.

Also, there is zero actual proof Brouwer dragged anyone down, just Bennett fanboys that can't seem top wrap their heads around the fact he produced just as badly without Brouwer. But of course, it's all Brouwer's fault for dragging him down.

So; I know it'll be impossible to dissuade you from your opinion, because a shit leopard can't change it's spots.

But take a look at this:

Troy Brouwer - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

Essentially that's a teammate report for Troy Brouwer from this past season. If you sort by CF% without Brouwer, and compare it to CF% together; what you'll see is for anyone who played more than 50 minutes with Brouwer they were outshot (in some cases significantly); except Matt Stajan (literally one person).

I know you view Corsi as a useless stat compared to +/-; but using these relative numbers, it tells a story. It's the same story you can tell when you start using Backs or Tkachuk, or the top pair with people. You can see it while they play, and you can see if statistically.

So. There is proof. You just ignore it and view it as irrelevant.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Wow. Well, okay.

James Neal is not a player I particularly enjoy. This is a guy who once kneed a guy in the head while skating past his prone figure. He also punched himself in the face to sell a hit to the head in the playoffs.

Buuuuuuuuuut, he is a consistent scorer, has a plus shot and has a knack for being present on teams that do a lot of winning. He'll be a good fit on our team, and with Tkachuk, we weren't going to win any Team Congeniality awards anyway.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Best of all, no Maroon.

And if Neal falls off a cliff by year year or four, a compliance buyout from the next lockout will take care of that.
He’s got no trade protection on his contract. There’s a good chance Seattle scoops him up for leadership.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Gaudreau-monahan-neal -- potential to be one of the best 1st lines we've iced since the 80s

Bennett-lindholm-tkachuk -- of this can't get Bennett going nothing will

Frolik-backlund-ryan -- this is what we really need. If backs is our third line centre were winning lots of matchups

Lazar-jankowski-czarnik -- janko was outmatched last year but could surprise with better matchups. Lazar and czarnik both have talent

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I would've prefered a 5x5, but this isn't too bad for a 5 year term. Good to see our scoring depth getting shored up, but I stand by what I said yesterday - Stone and or Brouwer are done as a flame if Neal gets signed. Well he just did, so somebody is the out man out (maybe even some of the forwards themselves. Neal would probably replace Frolik, and they may decide to move his contract out to open up some more cap).

Last edited:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Well with Lindholm and Tkachuk being RFA's either now or next year, and assuming we both lock them up to some term, our top six is signed for the next 4 years.
I think they are all but guaranteed to sign for decent term. Lindholm will sign min 5 years and if we make playoffs this season, Tkachuk will have no problem wanting to stay here

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
So glad they signed Neal. They had to get a legit scoring threat and they did it. Roster looks good now.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Just for some insight...

Neal played the left side of the PP in Vegas, but the right side in Pittsburgh. One unit had...

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Letang - Sullivan

They played an overload as seen in the clip here:

Todd Reirden and Dan Bylsma came up with that PP. So I'd be curious as to how Bill Peters and Geoff Ward will utilize him.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I would've prefered a 5x5, but this isn't too bad for a 5 year term. Good to see our scoring depth getting shored up, but I stand by what I said yesterday - Stone and or Brouwer are done as a flame if Neal gets signed. Well he just did, so somebody is the out man out (maybe even some of the forwards themselves. Neal would probably replace Frolik, and they may decide to move his contract out to open up some more cap).
How? Stone may be movable but brouwer is impossible

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Just for some insight...

Neal played the left side of the PP in Vegas, but the right side in Pittsburgh. One unit had...

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Letang - Sullivan

They played an overload as seen in the clip here:

Todd Reirden and Dan Bylsma came up with that PP. So I'd be curious as to how Bill Peters and Geoff Ward will utilize him.

Vegas and Nashville later on would put Neal in the middle on the power play and it was completely asinine. He’d be waiting for a pass so he wasn’t even facing the goalie and would never have enough time to turn around and get the shot off. Basically they were “using” his deadly shot to screen the goalie deflect the puck.

Even in the playoffs this year when he eventually did score on the PP, it was because he snuck to the right side. He’s money on the right side on the PP, there’s a reason he had so many PP goals with Pittsburgh. Don’t know much about Calgary, but sounds like you need a “true” right wing that will just stay on his side and bury pucks when they come to him, Neal is the perfect fit if that is the case.

That being said Neal needs a setup man. He’ll be awesome if he’s on the first line, but will struggle if he’s not.

Aug 3, 2010
Just woke up to the news. Incredibly happy. Have wanted Neal in a Flames sweater for many seasons and have advocated as such. He is a skilled big body with a mean streak (a forward version of Pronger-lite is how I like to think of him) and exactly what this team needs on the wing.

I don't even care about his contract, that's how much of a fan I am of this signing. Treliving was unable to address the centre depth but at least the overall forward group is much deeper.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad