Player Discussion James “The Real Deal” Neal a Flame! 5 years, 28.75 million.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
I think we can owe Mike Smith a bit of thanks for this as well. Apparently he and Neal are good friends from back in Dallas. I'm sure there was some pull there too.

Indeed.

Dean Molberg
‏Verified account @fan960boomer

James Neal and Mike Smith are buddies. Smith had been working hard on The Real Deal to come to Calgary.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm sure guys like Engelland and Commodore spoke highly of Calgary too

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think we can owe Mike Smith a bit of thanks for this as well. Apparently he and Neal are good friends from back in Dallas. I'm sure there was some pull there too.

Indeed.

Dean Molberg
‏Verified account @fan960boomer

James Neal and Mike Smith are buddies. Smith had been working hard on The Real Deal to come to Calgary.
Clearly Deebz has ESPN or something

giphy.gif

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Like the hit, term isn't great but he's expansion bait (again lol) and with the cap going up, this will be comparable to Frolik's hit in a few years.

Lots of options:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
Bennett-Jankowski-Czarnik
Frolik-Ryan-Brouwer
Or
Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Lindholm-Neal
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Brouwer-Ryan-Czarnik
Or
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal
Bennett-Jankowski-Frolik/Czarnik
Brouwer-Ryan-Frolik/Czarnik

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Term is sucky. Cap hit is what it is for a UFA. I'm surprised we were able to pry him away from Vegas or Nashville but he should be a good player for 3 out of 5 years of this contract.

I'm just glad it wasn't 4x4 for Maroon. I also wonder if Treliving has the balls to waive Lazar or Brouwer if they get ouplayed by Dube, Klimchuk or Mangiapane in camp

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Term is sucky. Cap hit is what it is for a UFA. I'm surprised we were able to pry him away from Vegas or Nashville but he should be a good player for 3 out of 5 years of this contract.

I'm just glad it wasn't 4x4 for Maroon. I also wonder if Treliving has the balls to waive Lazar or Brouwer if they get ouplayed by Dube, Klimchuk or Mangiapane in camp

If Brouwer has a bad camp, I could definitely see him waived. The Flames will go with the best roster. The goal clearly is to win, Brouwer will be getting paid whether he’s playing or not. That said, I am hopeful he looks better under Peters. Lazar is more the guy I’m thinking is done.

Reactions: MoneyHandsMonahan

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
The term is really whatever for me, for at least 3 years he'll be good and he has no trade protection so that won't be an issue if he needs moving later, also the possibility that he gets taken in an expansion draft and let's be realistic if we had tried to get him for less term we would've had to pay a higher AAV.
This move makes us better now and gives us a lot more depth and the ability to have more than 1 scoring line.

Reactions: tmurfin

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Neal has been nothing but money in the playoffs so 5.75M over 5 is not bad for a player of his ilk.

Lines:

Johnny- Monahan - Lindholm
Chucky - Jankowski - Neal
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Brouwer- Ryan -Czarnik

Would be interested in seeing these combos. Putting Bennett with Backs and Frolik would return him to where he had the most success.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I thought he would get at least 6 x 6 so I think the contract is fine. He fits a need and I liked him better than JVR or Perron.

Good signing by Tre and we should now be a good threat for the play-offs.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
I like this. While Neal has never been an elite point producer he has been a consistent 20+ goal scorer which should greatly help our team which has always lacked a goal scorer beyond Monahan (and arguably, Tkachuk if he continues playing at his current level).

So do the lines kind of look something like this?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ryan
Tkachuck - Lindholm - Neal
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Somone - Jankowski - Czarnik
Brouwer
:sarcasm:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don’t care about the term. We can move the contract in 3 years if need be. In the mean time, our top 6 is significantly better than it was next year. This is exactly what we needed

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, I'm not going to scoff at the length. I like this. I think we can have 3 productive lines, possibly 4. This is awesome.
I'm really surprised I thought we were done after we signed Ryan.
I'm happy. Go Flames. Put the puck in the net.
Honestly, I think Ryan, Brouwer and Frolik could be a dangerous 3a/3b line. None are speedsters and I think they will benefit playing together as none will fall behind. I also think they compliment each other well. Fro & Ryan will help mask Brouwer's possession, Brouwer and Frolik will cover Ryan's defensive lapses. Ryan is smart enough where he should be able to get the puck to Brouwer so that he can use his shot.

Reactions: Boomstick

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Honestly, I think Ryan, Brouwer and Frolik could be a dangerous 3a/3b line. None are speedsters and I think they will benefit playing together as none will fall behind. I also think they compliment each other well. Fro & Ryan will help mask Brouwer's possession, Brouwer and Frolik will cover Ryan's defensive lapses. Ryan is smart enough where he should be able to get the puck to Brouwer so that he can use his shot.

It's like a game of Rocks, Paper, Scissors where everybody wins.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I like it, quality signing. Really feeling like time to move on from Brouwer now though, or else we’re gonna run out of room for the kids.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Ryan and Frolik are excellent skaters.
Brouwer's not a terrible skater, he's just not great either.

My concern, as always, with Brouwer is that he drags people down to his level. We look like idiots if Ryan becomes a negative possession player with 15 points a season ripping around with Troy.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Okay, this is a positive to me and rather surprising. Not the hugest name, but an upper echelon one nonetheless. He was one of Vegas best players IMO. On an offense-starved team like ours, he's automatically 20-30 goals more in our top 9 without detracting from the rest of our core's production. We needed something like this.

Now, honestly, I think we'll be looking to upgrade our defense some more. Our top 4 looks solidish (I'm still sour on Brodie, though he finished the year better than the first 3/4s of it), but I'd still like one more top tier d man.

Anyway, I like this move. It's reliable offense, that's the way I see it.

Also, we feel kind of Vegasish . . . Decent talent across the board, could surprise if the group gels - something we're so in need of for a change.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad