Player Discussion James “The Real Deal” Neal a Flame! 5 years, 28.75 million.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
He had his best game as a Flame yesterday IMO. And you could tell he was missed (along with Bennett) when he was out with injury as there was a distinct lack of offensive zone time. Even if it was ineffective zone time.

Doesn't offset the many bad games he's had.

I think someone has said it’s been his best game as a flame almost every game he’s played; at some point looking better means nothing unless he can put up points

Reactions: Cyrano

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Won’t emerge on 3rd line however I wouldn’t demote Bennett at this point in time.

Would be interesting to have seen how Brouwer would of done under Peters. Would of been in better shape cap wise that’s for sure.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I think someone has said it’s been his best game as a flame almost every game he’s played; at some point looking better means nothing unless he can put up points
To some degree it's true, he needs to produce to live up to a contract as large as his. But he has looked like a real live hockey player in the past couple of games, to the point where I'd say I expect him to start producing.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Neal, lucic, brouwer. What is common between them?

Slow, old, can't generate their own offense

Should be text book example on what not to sign in free agent

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I swear to god, Tre should just never go into FA unless it's for depth. It's like these players just wait to get payed and then float through the first few years of their contract. FA is always a failure, almost always. Think about the last 5 years...We've had one that was decent value in Frolik...Maybe I'm missing something, but I doubt it's anything of significance.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
What are the cap implications if we buyout Neal at the end of the year? I don't even care about optics at this point.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What are the cap implications if we buyout Neal at the end of the year? I don't even care about optics at this point.
$1.9m x 8 yrs

If the Flames wait til June 2020 the yearly cap hit remains the same but the term is reduced to 6 yrs.
In 2021 it's reduced to 4 yrs...

I think a trade for a bag of used pucks is the better option.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gnome

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Neal wont be bought out or traded, at least not this season and most likely not for next either. He's been disappointment but we just have to hope he improves.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Neal will come around. I can't see Tre buying him out as we're on the hook for Brouwer, $1.5 X4. So Tre will be patient. Very patient.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Thanks for the math, seems more reasonable to wait...or at least pray someone would take him for nothing. He's too f***ing slow to keep up with this team, really bad fit...I don't see it improving at this point, but it could happen I guess. My optimism on a turnaround is quickly vanishing.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Neal is slow going north/south, not so slow going east/west. He can hit those gaps and that is a key to the Flames game. Tre knew this going in and the good news is that a slow player's skating won't degrade that much. You can't teach shooting or scoring and Neal does have an elite level wrist/snap-shot. That skill might degrade over time, but I don't think so. Even Iggy could still snap that puck towards the end of his career.

Last edited by a moderator:

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Funny enough majority of you criticized me for my critic opinion about this plug 30 games ago- Smith included. Anyway, I wish you all a Happy New Year. Hopefully there is a way to get rid off Neal/Smith/Stone- my wish. Cheers

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Neal is slow going north/south, not so slow going east/west. He can hit those gaps and that is a key to the Flames game. Tre knew this going in and the good news is that a slow player's skating won't degrade that much. You can't teach shooting or scoring and Neal does have an elite level wrist/snap-shot. That skill might degrade over time, but I don't think so. Even Iggy could still snap that puck towards the end of his career.
Yeah mate. Elite shooter in the past.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Funny enough majority of you criticized me for my critic opinion about this plug 30 games ago- Smith included. Anyway, I wish you all a Happy New Year. Hopefully there is a way to get rid off Neal/Smith/Stone- my wish. Cheers

The problem was that you were banging the "Neal is shit" drum 10 games into the season, before it could definitively be said that he was playing badly and not just on a cold streak. You turned out to be right, but by way of dumb luck. For the record I also think people here would have taken you a lot more seriously if you posted about things other than James Neal through the first month of the season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's like saying "I bought 5 tickets, so I'm guaranteed to win the lottery." If I do win the lottery, it doesn't justify that statement.

With regards to the reactions you got, you shouldn't be surprised. If you take an unreasonable position, you force everyone with every reasonable opinion to oppose you, even if, for instance, they also had soured on the signing. Just like OKG with guys like Kulak or Monahan. He creates people's opposition through taking unreasonable stances, and then criticizes people for "hating" or "fanboying" those players, when his takes are what are creating positive or negative responses.

Last edited:

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
The problem was that you were banging the "Neal is ****" drum 10 games into the season, before it could definitively be said that he was playing badly and not just on a cold streak. You turned out to be right, but by way of dumb luck. For the record I also think people here would have taken you a lot more seriously if you posted about things other than James Neal through the first month of the season.
Whatever. I use my vision and log term experience. Toodle pip

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
That was actually a pretty crafty veteran move he did on his goal last night. A totally intentional kick goal but with no "distinct kicking motion" so suck it Sharks.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So far, Neal has not fulfilled his role. You can’t argue that. With that said, to think he’s garbage or will not start to heat up, is foolish. Goal scorers are particularly streaky and Neal is no exception. Do not be surprised if he’s red hot for the remainder of the year or in the very near future. His shot did not magically vanish.

Reactions: Janks

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The 3rd line of Bennett/Jankowski/Neal are starting to mesh I think. They were effective yesterday and would be even more effective if they shot the puck more and looked for rebounds.

Even though Neal only has 8 points this year (Brouwer has 10) I think he's going to have a better second half.

Anyone else catch Francis saying Neal's problem is his attitude? Good grief, the Flames should insist Francis be turfed from the broadcasts.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
and both would be top6 in goals for Oilers

giphy.gif

(And still not far off a month later.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad