Player Discussion James “The Real Deal” Neal a Flame! 5 years, 28.75 million.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
He’s looking slightly more dangerous. The Neal situation isn’t nearly as terrible as it seems. While it’s pretty easy to see potential up grades for $5.75 million, his buyout is less than $2 million. If we have to, we could retain $2 million and there’s probably at least 20 teams that would have interest in Neal at $3.75. We may even get a return, at that price.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Am I the only one that sees improvement in Neal lately. I mean, yes it is a slow burn, but I can see glimpses of what we thought we'd get.

I've believed that Neal is due for a serious bounce back due to settling in and new equipment... but some feel like we just straight up signed Browuer 2.0 no matter what Neal does.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Am I the only one that sees improvement in Neal lately. I mean, yes it is a slow burn, but I can see glimpses of what we thought we'd get.

I think the positives you're seeing right now have been consistently there since the start of the year. He's slow, but when he gets a chance to make a play, he generally makes the right play. He knows a lot of 'tricks' to win stick battles without seeming to try, and he catches opponents off their guard a lot.

I think if there's anything that's improved lately, it's that he's doing a better job of working his own shooting opportunities, but only slightly. Even in the midst of that horrible drought, he was still getting an open look or two every game.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
So watching Hoffman the other night made me wish we had picked him up instead of Neal. Hoffman is having a great season so I looked at his shooting %. He's shooting at 14.9%, over his career average of 11.3. Neal is having a rotten season and has a shooting % of 4.1 well below his career average of 11.7.

Seems to me Neal needs to get selfish and shoot the puck at every opportunity. They'll start going in and his line mates will quickly realize to set him up every chance they get.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yes, I can see improvement. What I can't see are f***ing goals.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I feel like his problems with getting pucks on net is less. I think he’s finally sorta getting used to his new stick.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I still think he has another level. Hopefully two. Games get tighter going into spring and there's definitely some value in having a guy with his experience with a couple greenhorns like Jankowski and Bennett. That line can be a handful when they get the cycle going, big strong guys with decent puck skills. Agree with others he needs to shoot more.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I thought the real deal would get one last night the way Arizona was letting guys walk in on net every time, but his game is perimeter only.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I thought the real deal would get one last night the way Arizona was letting guys walk in on net every time, but his game is perimeter only.
I'm not sure I would categorize his game as perimeter only. He goes to the corners and plays the half wall well. He does like to locate himself in the high slot verses a net front presence, a territory Bennett and Jankowski go to.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
So watching Hoffman the other night made me wish we had picked him up instead of Neal. Hoffman is having a great season so I looked at his shooting %. He's shooting at 14.9%, over his career average of 11.3. Neal is having a rotten season and has a shooting % of 4.1 well below his career average of 11.7.

Seems to me Neal needs to get selfish and shoot the puck at every opportunity. They'll start going in and his line mates will quickly realize to set him up every chance they get.
Some of Neal's issues definitely lie in bad luck, but he's also been playing anywhere between mediocre and bad every game this year. Not one game did I see him and think "boy, now there's a guy who's really driving play" or "at this rate he'll start scoring any minute!" Value for dollar he's honestly not a lot better than Brouwer was.

Reactions: Cyrano

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Some of Neal's issues definitely lie in bad luck, but he's also been playing anywhere between mediocre and bad every game this year. Not one game did I see him and think "boy, now there's a guy who's really driving play" or "at this rate he'll start scoring any minute!" Value for dollar he's honestly not a lot better than Brouwer was.
We didn't pay him to drive play. We paid him to be invisible for long stretches in a game and then pop up and make one play to win us the game. That's what his MO was with Nashville and Vegas. Granted, he's not reaching that so far this season, but the difference between what he is now and that is a lot less than you might think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad