Player Discussion Jakub Zboril

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That's how I read it as well the two just weren't on the same page there, but I think it all boils down to chemistry and giving them time together, where eventually they will become more acquainted with one another.
yep, neither were perfect but as a former coach turned couch potato coach, watching players holding stationary drives me nuts, I had a coach in Midget AAA who had one of his assistants count "Mississippi`s" on a player if they are standing still, if that coach counted 2 Mississippi`s, that`s how many shifts the player sat. I made that mistake once, missed 3 shifts, not fun

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Clifton has been mediocre. He can sit.

Grzelcyk — McAvoy
Forbort — Carlo
Reilly — Zboril

You want to put Zboril on his off side when he's just coming to grips with playing NHL hockey again and still very much finding his way? Suspect that's asking for trouble. I'm not against giving Clifton a rest, but it's likely going to have to be Moore who replaces him if they do. Of course he's also a leftie but more experienced at playing the other side.

Reactions: Kegs

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Zboril-Mcavoy pairing was interesting tonight. They were only together for 3:15 but their adv. stats were real good in that time, maybe try it more. Mcavoy can make up for his poor decision making, and more physically capable than Grz.

May limit Mcavoy a bit but I think it could be worth some more looks. Opens up some possibilities of more balanced pairings.

Zboril Mac
Grz Carlo
Forbort Clifton

Reilly and that contract puts them in a bit of a bind. Forbes is looking manageable.

Zboril has always looked really good with McAvoy. I understand the idea of playing McAvoy with someone safe (letting him do his thing), but Clifton-Zboril has never worked which is part of the problem with both Zboril and Clifton both of them are too inconsistent to play together. I liked the way Zboril was used in the 2nd half of the game. Alot with McAvoy, with Clifton when a line matchup is good.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Wish he connected on that open ice hit. Would have given him confidence to try it again. I am ok with the risk of being out of position from time to time. It would only take him connecting on a few of those for the opposing teams to take note in their pre-game scouting and be a little more conservative breaking through the neutral zone.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
You want to put Zboril on his off side when he's just coming to grips with playing NHL hockey again and still very much finding his way? Suspect that's asking for trouble. I'm not against giving Clifton a rest, but it's likely going to have to be Moore who replaces him if they do. Of course he's also a leftie but more experienced at playing the other side.
Zboril played some off side in Providence if I remember correctly.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
He showed enough this weekend to get my attention. I definitely want to see more.

But he has shown flashes before...the issue (and the reason he's not already a regular) has been his inability to string together several strong games consistently. It's been 6 years since he was drafted. It's time for him to start putting it together on a regular basis.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Wish he connected on that open ice hit. Would have given him confidence to try it again. I am ok with the risk of being out of position from time to time. It would only take him connecting on a few of those for the opposing teams to take note in their pre-game scouting and be a little more conservative breaking through the neutral zone.

I tend to agree with this, but obviously you want the player to be walking towards the side of caution. I thought while that was an unfortunate bounce and unfortunate outcome, that there wasn't really too much to get worked up over. Zboril went to make a hit on a guy who's usually skating with his head up and he was able to dodge it at the last second.

Had the puck not found its way in the back of the net, even without connecting on the hit, we'd probably be siting here with a different outlook on it saying "Man, wish he connected on that one it would have blown him up!"

Either way, I liked what Zboril has brought the last couple of games as a whole and I hope he gets some more reps. Would be nice to see him build up some confidence.

Quick PS edit: I'm not the coach and won't pretend to know more than him, so this is merely just something I'd like to see from a hypothetical standpoint– Zboril-McAvoy pairing.

If Forbort can be used and carried to a certain extent by McAvoy, I think the same could be applied to Zboril but with one caveat; more upside. Zboril's tools, especially in transition, have been on display at this level since stepping in. While he's lacked consistency, playing with McAvoy where there's far more structure than playing with Clifton might be a solution that's potentially good for everyone.

Maybe it's not today, tomorrow or even next week, but I think it's worth a shot if he continues to play this way.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
yep, neither were perfect but as a former coach turned couch potato coach, watching players holding stationary drives me nuts, I had a coach in Midget AAA who had one of his assistants count "Mississippi`s" on a player if they are standing still, if that coach counted 2 Mississippi`s, that`s how many shifts the player sat. I made that mistake once, missed 3 shifts, not fun

I've never heard of that one. Makes me smile. The style I play though I don't know if I've ever been stationery on skates.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I tend to agree with this, but obviously you want the player to be walking towards the side of caution. I thought while that was an unfortunate bounce and unfortunate outcome, that there wasn't really too much to get worked up over. Zboril went to make a hit on a guy who's usually skating with his head up and he was able to dodge it at the last second.

Had the puck not found its way in the back of the net, even without connecting on the hit, we'd probably be siting here with a different outlook on it saying "Man, wish he connected on that one it would have blown him up!"

Either way, I liked what Zboril has brought the last couple of games as a whole and I hope he gets some more reps. Would be nice to see him build up some confidence.

Quick PS edit: I'm not the coach and won't pretend to know more than him, so this is merely just something I'd like to see from a hypothetical standpoint– Zboril-McAvoy pairing.

If Forbort can be used and carried to a certain extent by McAvoy, I think the same could be applied to Zboril but with one caveat; more upside. Zboril's tools, especially in transition, have been on display at this level since stepping in. While he's lacked consistency, playing with McAvoy where there's far more structure than playing with Clifton might be a solution that's potentially good for everyone.

Maybe it's not today, tomorrow or even next week, but I think it's worth a shot if he continues to play this way.

Ya, Jack and Brick called him out but I didn't mind that play. I actually really liked it.
It's one goal. Whatever. If he had connected that's a huge boost and guys will start noticing he has that. And that he missed - o.k. - next time he does connect. And they had to turn it back anyways.

Pick your spots and go for it. Send a message that the slot is not somewhere to cut to when he's on the ice. Don't become a young Phaneuf going for it all the time and getting exposed - but especially as a young player, if you think you can make that hit - go for it.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Zboril looked good the last two games. I like the idea of platooning Reilly, Clifton and Zboril. All of them play well in stretches, and all of them tail off when given a permanent spot in the lineup.

Reactions: HustleB

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I like that that’s part of his game longterm, he’s trying to make something happen.

Ya. That's not the kinda play I'd hold against an inexperienced NHL player. That's a hit that would've worked in the A but NHL players are quicker. He's not going to learn that without giving it a shot every once in awhile. I'd rather guys make mistakes and learn from them than play on their heels too much.

I've liked both games from Zboril. I think he just needs NHL reps. He'll cost them a few goals and a few hemmed in shifts or missed plays but he's a player I want to see given enough games this year, enough coaching, enough press-box, practice, tape - and it'll be on him.

He's got the tools to be a top 4 d-man. It's a good time to give him a long leash and some individual coaching.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Zboril has always looked really good with McAvoy. I understand the idea of playing McAvoy with someone safe (letting him do his thing), but Clifton-Zboril has never worked which is part of the problem with both Zboril and Clifton both of them are too inconsistent to play together. I liked the way Zboril was used in the 2nd half of the game. Alot with McAvoy, with Clifton when a line matchup is good.

In Zboril's 145 mins played with McAvoy this year and last, he's a +6.

To compare, with his other 4 significant D-partners (min. 60 mins. played together or more, so Clifton, Carlo, Miller and Kampfer) totalling 540 mins he's a -3

Not included in the above total are 30 mins. playing his off-side with Reilly and Tinordi. In that 30 mins. on his off-sidewith these two and Zboril was a brutal - 4.

Does that reveal anything? Might indicate he'd have a harder time on his off-side. But saying he's better with McAvoy than other D-partners isn't likely to be exclusive to Jakub Zboril.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I think the same could be applied to Zboril but with one caveat; more upside
Do you honestly see any way that Zboril's shot isn't a 100% nightmare? We've all seen our share of poor shooting defensemen over the years, but this guy is next level. If all five opponents were on the bench, Zboril's shot would hit someone on the bench. He hit the corner again last night, in that he was at the top of the circle and took a shot that went directly into the corner boards. Second time I've seen him do that.

If you want a 7th/8th defenseman, he can do that. But upside time is over for Jacob Zboril, imo.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Do you honestly see any way that Zboril's shot isn't a 100% nightmare? We've all seen our share of poor shooting defensemen over the years, but this guy is next level. If all five opponents were on the bench, Zboril's shot would hit someone on the bench. He hit the corner again last night, in that he was at the top of the circle and took a shot that went directly into the corner boards. Second time I've seen him do that.

If you want a 7th/8th defenseman, he can do that. But upside time is over for Jacob Zboril, imo.

He's averaged basically a shot per game and two shot attempts per game in his career so far. I think we can rule out him ever being a point-producer.

Jakub Zboril needs to carve out his niche in the NHL. What is it that he does exceptionally well? Is he a puck-mover? Is he a stay-at-home guy? Big hitter? Transition creator?

A lot like another younger guy who can't seem to carve out a niche (Frederic), what or who is Jakub Zboril at the NHL level?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
He's averaged basically a shot per game and two shot attempts per game in his career so far. I think we can rule out him ever being a point-producer.

Jakub Zboril needs to carve out his niche in the NHL. What is it that he does exceptionally well? Is he a puck-mover? Is he a stay-at-home guy? Big hitter? Transition creator?

A lot like another younger guy who can't seem to carve out a niche (Frederic), what or who is Jakub Zboril at the NHL level?
When he's on his game you wont notice him much. The puck doesn't stay on his stick long as he's quick to move it up. He won't take it, or try to take it, end to end like McAvoy or Clifton attempt from time to time, but he is a great skater for the position and uses it to excel at gap control and physical play. Not big enough to overpower larger forwards, he will surprise guys by closing quick and playing through them.

When he's off his game there is hesitation and poor decisions.

Think right now as an NHL defenseman he's a good bottom pair guy and could be a real complimentary partner further up the line up.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Zboril played some off side in Providence if I remember correctly.

I believe so. But doing it in the AHL and NHL are not the same. This is a guy who has little lapses of poor concentration or decision-making as it is. I fear putting him on his weaker side in Boston will only compound that, at least initially. I'm not saying he can't do it, but I question whether the timing is right - I'd rather he establish himself as a consistent LD at the top level before the Bruins start moving him around.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Yeah meaning they may feel the need play the guy who the GM just invested 3x3m into.
We sat 5x2.7 when Gryz outplayed him. If Zboril grabs the spot then Reilly pushes Forbort maybe Gryz if he is injured and of course Zboril who has to continue to earn it each night. Injuries occur. I have no issues with Reilly figuring it out in the press box if Zboril continues to be effective. The mistakes from last night particularly the second one @The National posted were awful; but I accept them as a normal part of the process. Clean it up and we have a real diamond here. It's well worth the effort and headaches.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Ya. That's not the kinda play I'd hold against an inexperienced NHL player. That's a hit that would've worked in the A but NHL players are quicker. He's not going to learn that without giving it a shot every once in awhile. I'd rather guys make mistakes and learn from them than play on their heels too much.

I've liked both games from Zboril. I think he just needs NHL reps. He'll cost them a few goals and a few hemmed in shifts or missed plays but he's a player I want to see given enough games this year, enough coaching, enough press-box, practice, tape - and it'll be on him.

He's got the tools to be a top 4 d-man. It's a good time to give him a long leash and some individual coaching.
Part of my concern with it is that Zboril has always been held back by his poor decision making/ hockey IQ. So him going for the hit is great but he has to be aware that his forwards are in the middle of a change and if he misses the hit it could cause some scrambling around from miss match forwards.

He also did the exact same thing earlier in the game which is partly why when it happened again and led to a goal it stood out to me.

E800372-C-CBB5-42-DB-B5-DF-C2972-BA1-D3-DC.gif

The forwards deserve criticism as well for that change.

I’m think they should stick with him though, he had some really good puck plays as well. He was great in transition on that second Mcavoy goal, I’d like to see more of that pairing.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
When he's on his game you wont notice him much. The puck doesn't stay on his stick long as he's quick to move it up. He won't take it, or try to take it, end to end like McAvoy or Clifton attempt from time to time, but he is a great skater for the position and uses it to excel at gap control and physical play. Not big enough to overpower larger forwards, he will surprise guys by closing quick and playing through them.

Think right now as an NHL defenseman he's a good bottom pair guy and could be a real complimentary partner further up the line up.
Fantastic skater. If he were just a smidge faster at the top end, it might make up for a lot.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Great assessment of Zboril. Spot on.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Part of my concern with it is that Zboril has always been held back by his poor decision making/ hockey IQ. So him going for the hit is great but he has to be aware that his forwards are in the middle of a change and if he misses the hit it could cause some scrambling around from miss match forwards.

He also did the exact same thing earlier in the game which is partly why when it happened again and led to a goal it stood out to me.

E800372-C-CBB5-42-DB-B5-DF-C2972-BA1-D3-DC.gif

The forwards deserve criticism as well for that change.

I’m think they should stick with him though, he had some really good puck plays as well. He was great in transition on that second Mcavoy goal, I’d like to see more of that pairing.

That has always been his drawback. How much of his poor decision making is bad IQ and how much of it is the fatigue factor.

But I agree stick with him, get him some reps were a month in and he's barely played since camp.

Reactions: The National

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
That has always been his drawback. How much of his poor decision making is bad IQ and how much of it is the fatigue factor.

But I agree stick with him, get him some reps were a month in and he's barely played since camp.

I wonder how much support he gets from the staff when he makes mistakes?

I hope they are telling him to go play and don't worry about the mistakes you make (for now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad