Prospect Info: Jakub Dobes (2020 - 136th, USHL- Omaha Lancers)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
In an exhibition game, Dobes came in half way through the game, let in 2 goals on just 9 shots in just under 27 mins. That's a tough way to start things off, of course it doesn't count but his team was ranked to come in dead last in the big 10 this year in the preseason coaches poll. They are clearly rebuilding and are going to get smoked by Michigan and Minnesota. The good thing is that the schedule starts out weak so maybe he can get into a groove at some point as they have 2 other goalies, Snowden is an upperclassman and this coach is known to ride one goalie but that's when he had a stud in net and now he's got to find out if he has one or not. Primeau wasn't handed the starting job though on a better team, but once he got in there, it was clear who the starter should be. So I hope this ends up being the case, but Dobes is no Primeau so we'll see how it goes. Either way his numbers are likely going to suck if he does end up the starter at some point unless Ohio St is better then many think they are which is certainly possible after last year it's tough to say what teams will look like and produce on the ice when the games matter.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
congrats on his first win, it was against a weak team but Ohio State is rebuilding so they are not expected to be good this year. Going to be very interesting to see how much ice his gets, his coach has been known to ride one goalie all season but that's when he had a stud in net so he could do that. Now he's got a Junior that played just 88 mins all last season and 2 Freshman. If Dobes can secure the spot, even if his numbers stink, it would be a great experience and set him up for the next few years as Michigan is just going to steamroll teams with that lineup and Minnesota is going to be tough, facing those 2 teams at 4 times is a tough go for the goalies.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Looks like a pretty good goalie prospect. Primeau and Dobes have great potential in net.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
i've liked him a lot since last year, the numbers are sick but I want to wait and see if he can keep it anywhere near this or not.

Have there been many successful goalies over 6'5?

I can only think of a few: Bishop Rinne, and late career Dubnyk.

I guess I answered my own question. Would be great if one of Primeau or Dobbes were Price's successor.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
his school site has him at 6'4, now Dichow is listed at 6'5
hockey db for example, lists Dobes as 6'5. Overall, hard to know which sites to trust - whether because of ulterior motives or misinformation.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Bucking the System

Jakub Dobeš set a new career-high with 46 saves on Friday, then one-upped that mark with a 51-save shutout on Saturday. It’s not unusual for goaltenders to post those kinds of numbers against the shoot-at-all-costs Nittany Lions, but Dobeš made several stops that were anything but routine.
“Jakub back there, he just speaks for himself,” Wise said. “I feel like nothing gets by him.”

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Levi probably wins or Commesso.. but Dobes probably should win considering he played behind no defense the entire season.

Don't see Commesso winning at all. I would think one of Levi, McKay, Perets. McKay has won 29 of 33 starts, though he plays in a weak conference. Perets and Levi have sick numbers as well as McKay but I wonder if missing a chunk of games will hurt them vs McKay just winning all the time. As sick of a season as Levi has had, Perets has 10 SO's in 23 starts, that's insane. Granted the ECAC is weak and like Levi he's got a really good blueline in front of him from what i've heard (Haven't seen much of Quinnipiac) Perets has a .85 gaa. He's undrafted and a local kid

Dobes leads the NCAA in saves
4th in mins played (though he will drop most likely as his regular season is over so Ohio St doesn't play again until the Big 10 playoffs in 2 weeks.

He's tied for 4th in save %.
He's tied for 5th in wins though will likely drop there too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad