Prospect Info: Jakub Dobes (2020 - 136th, USHL- Omaha Lancers)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Omaha having a photo shoot, Dobes is there wearing #71.

ElCYLbkXUAE8giA
ElCYLfeX0AM4Ynp

ElCYLihXYAEkE1V

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Can’t believe we pick this guy instead of william dufour in the fifth...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Can’t believe we pick this guy instead of william dufour in the fifth...

Dufour was someone I wanted.

But after watching Dobes a few times, I like what I've seen so far. Not that I'm some kind of goalie expert. But he is mobile for a big body. He's also real good at handling the puck. He's like Price in the sense that he can stop the puck going from around his net and passes it to his teammates to help start the transition.

So I'm willing to accept that they took Dobes over Dufour if the goalie continues to show more consistently what I've noticed from him so far.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just getting around to watching him, goalies are tough for me since I never played the position, in the one game I saw so far I felt he needed to play bigger, was getting super low in his crouches. He gave up 2 goals, one he was trying to knock the puck off the stick but couldn't get it and it ended up going in between his legs. He reminded me of McNiven from his OHL days as he was very aggressive in skating far out of his net to get the puck.

I didn't see any of the preseason games but he appears to have done really well with just 3 goals against in preseason. The fact that he's going to Ohio State for the '21-'22 season has me very interested as they clearly saw something in him while he was in the Tier 1 u-18 it's not a league I have ever seen, there have been some very good NHLers come out of that league but for the Habs they have not faired too well, Galchenyuk, McCarron, Hawkey, Vail, are some of the draft picks of ours that played in that league.

Reactions: Treb

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Watched another one of Dobes's games today, likely one of his best of last season since it was his only SO. He didn't have to stand on his head or anything but his team was badly outshot and he did make a few big saves especially late in the 3rd when his team just went up 1-0 and then got called for a 5 min major. That said he did have about 3 pucks go off the post/crossbar and his D in front of him did a really good job blocking shots.

Next I'm going to watch likely one of his worst games of the season, the only game all season he gave up more then 4 goals.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I need to see more from him to make a really educated comment. He wasnt on my radar last year at all and I haven't caught a game yet this year.

Judging solely from Montreals videos, his technique is pretty jumpy. Hes not explosive yet and I notice some hitches in his lateral movement.

Puck tracking seems off and on, but when forced into a scramble, hes a natural puck tracker. He battles and has good size.

Will try to catch a full game and give a more confident report

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He has as many goals as Mete.

Not hard to have as many goals as Mete when Mete hasn't played yet this year. :laugh: He also scored as many goals as Suzuki and Gallagher combined!

However, Mete scored 4 goals last year, which is more than Dobes did at any recorded level. :thumbu:

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
With respect to style and stature, he reminds me a bit of Kenny Dryden in net......anyone ever heard of that guy? Had a cup of coffee with the habs back in the 70s ';)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Does he lean on his stick?

no but if you bump into him you might get hit with it. He seems to have a bit of a temper though I wonder if former Hab David Wilkie who is his coach talked to him about it as the past few games he's been bumped a little and not reacted. I'm not saying he's the next Hextall or Billy Smith but he's gotten into it a couple times already this year when bumped, kind of like the opposite of Price. He's a big dude so when he comes up pushing players and jawing at them I could see a few less players doing that.

Reactions: Acadien86

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad