Prospect Info: Jakub Dobes (2020 - 136th, USHL- Omaha Lancers)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Man that glorious statline is gonna get destroyed the moment he plays Chicago, isn't it.

it likely would but they don't face the eastern teams. It's likely a big part of why his numbers are outstanding, the west just doesn't appear to have the fire power of the east which has the Steel who are setting the league on fire and they have the Lumberjacks who have the 2nd best offense in the league as well.

Reactions: Habs76

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Dobes after giving up more then 3 goals for the 1st time this season comes back with 1 goal against efforts in his last 2 games.

He still leads the league in gaa and save %, no goalie with more then 2 starts is even close to him in gaa.

Elite Prospects - USHL Stats 2020-2021

Former Hab David Wilkie seems to be doing something right, his team is in 2nd place in the east and overall his team has the best goals against with just 31 in 14 games.

It will be interesting how is backup compares as the season goes on. Right now in the limited time he played he got similar stats to Dobes while he was terrible in his 2 games with a weaker Tri-City team.

Dobes is obviously playing very well, but his whole team seems to be strong defensively at least boxscore wise.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It will be interesting how is backup compares as the season goes on. Right now in the limited time he played he got similar stats to Dobes while he was terrible in his 2 games with a weaker Tri-City team.

Dobes is obviously playing very well, but his whole team seems to be strong defensively at least boxscore wise.

it's telling that Dobes is getting all the ice, since the 2 backups have played 96 mins between them with Dobes getting 738. Grant Riley is someone to look for in the next draft since he's a 6'4 goalie going to BC in '22 so he could be something since BC is the 2nd rated team in the NCAA this year so they clearly see something in him although I don't know him so I would have to look into the situation there.

The other goalie is 6'8 but went undrafted, headed to Dartmouth next year, not a great program but one we seem to have over drafted from in years past.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Will be in the Big Ten next year it seems.....

After 17 games, Dobes is leading the league in goals-against average with a 1.85 and is leading the way in save percentage at .927 as well. This isn’t just a small sample size either as he is leading the league in games played.

Dobes has been really good the whole season, but has reached another level after the Christmas break. In six games, he has allowed just nine goals on 156 shots. That is a save percentage of .942 in that stretch to go with his 1.50 goals against average.

Montreal Canadiens: Jakub Dobes Proving To Be USHL’s Best Goaltender

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
surprised he's not talked about more, looking like he could be a real steal although goalies are so tough to get a good read on and their value just isn't high to begin with.

20 games in and he's tops in the league, in both gaa and save%. no other goalie is even close to him in save % (not counting goalies that played like 4 games) and only one is close to him in gaa.

Elite Prospects - USHL Stats 2020-2021

i posted a highlight clip of last nights game in the sticked prospect thread, not his best game but the 3rd goal wasn't on him.

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
2020-21 USHL Players of the Week - Week 11: Dobes
Dobes earned his third career USHL Goaltender of the Week honor last week after allowing just two goals on 52 shots in a pair of wins over the Lincoln Stars. The Ohio State University commit has held opponents to just one goal in half (9) of his appearances this season and now holds an 11-7-0-0 record with a league leading 1.91 goals against average and 0.926 save percentage. Dobes holds a 7-2-0-0 record when he allows one-or-fewer goals in a game and 4-5-0-0 record with two-or-more goals allowed. This season, the Montreal Canadiens prospect (2020, Round 5, #136) paces USHL netminders in GAA, SV%, appearances and is tied for the league lead in wins (11).
20-21_PLAYER_OF_THE_WEEK_LONG_INSTA_WEEK_11__1__large.jpg

Reactions: Gyfu

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I'm not surprised he's their MVP, can't wait to see him at Ohio St in the fall.

I assume he will be the starter? I see his backup with Omaha (Reilly Herbst) is following him there so he shouldn't be much of a hurdle. I assume the 20-21 3rd goalie Ryan Snowden will be here too, but again not much there.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I assume he will be the starter? I see his backup with Omaha (Reilly Herbst) is following him there so he shouldn't be much of a hurdle. I assume the 20-21 3rd goalie Ryan Snowden will be here too, but again not much there.

yes he should be the starter, Ohio St is rebuilding so I assume the plan is for him to be the starter but we'll see what happens as it's an odd off season due to the covid rule as there have been a ton of 5th year transfers. In fact I saw where someone is putting together a 2 day tournament I believe, to showcase NCAA players that want to transfer due to getting the extra year. It's in a few weeks last I heard.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
the goalie that was 1st team is a year older and Dobes played almost 8 more games then him as he led the league in mins with 2588. but good on Dobes to be named 2nd best goalie in the league.

I can't recall if I saw Cole McWard but maybe he's someone to consider picking with one of those late round picks if he there as he'll be a teammate of Dobes next year at Ohio St and was a teammate of Pitlick's for a minute this year. He was passed over the past 2 drafts so maybe he doesn't even get picked.

Reactions: dralaf

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
yeah but can he fight?

I would think so, early on the in the season he was showing some Billy Smith vibes, dude does not like it when players hit him. He toned it down though as I suspect his coach (former Hab David Wilkie) talked to him about it as he would throw some punches with his blocker when players ran into him.

Reactions: Trash Man

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I would think so, early on the in the season he was showing some Billy Smith vibes, dude does not like it when players hit him. He toned it down though as I suspect his coach (former Hab David Wilkie) talked to him about it as he would throw some punches with his blocker when players ran into him.

Wilkie is still around, wow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad