Player Discussion Jakob Silfverberg II

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Dude definitely would've got suspended for that one.

With the NHL's DoPS? I think they'd justify it as accidental somehow.

"We feel he was just trying to retrieve his stick."

The DoPS's mandate seems to be to look for reasons why a player didn't do something wrong.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Ryan deleted his twitter account because of the negativity.

I think Silfverberg can creat a twitter account because he has been quite good, yes :)
Sucks that we had to lose Noesen. Although looking back, the waiver eligibility shoot us in a foot a little bit (and Boll)

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Ryan deleted his twitter account because of the negativity.

I think Silfverberg can creat a twitter account because he has been quite good, yes :)
Sucks that we had to lose Noesen. Although looking back, the waiver eligibility shoot us in a foot a little bit (and Boll)

Being injured most of his elc years was the biggest piece of bad luck the Ducks had.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Silfverberg with his 1st goal of the season. Has 1 goal 4 assists for 5 points in 3 games now. God I hope we don't end up losing him to free agency.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I’ll be pretty damn disappointed if he isn’t traded. Could see him having a career year in his contract year and pricing himself out of Anaheim, but we could easily get a 1st at the deadline instead of letting him walk for nothing.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I’ll be pretty damn disappointed if he isn’t traded. Could see him having a career year in his contract year and pricing himself out of Anaheim, but we could easily get a 1st at the deadline instead of letting him walk for nothing.

I highly doubt he's moved if we're in the playoff picture. Would be sending an absolutely horrible message to the team if you straight sell one of the teams proven playoff performers during a run. You just don't see playoff bound teams trading veterans like Silf.

It would be nice to get an extra early pick, and I'd hate to see him walk for free....but in some instances it's just the right move to hang on. If we have a healthy team capable of contending by the time March rolls around, I doubt there's any selling going on.

Reactions: Paul4587

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I highly doubt he's moved if we're in the playoff picture. Would be sending an absolutely horrible message to the team if you straight sell one of the teams proven playoff performers during a run. You just don't see playoff bound teams trading veterans like Silf.

It would be nice to get an extra early pick, and I'd hate to see him walk for free....but in some instances it's just the right move to hang on. If we have a healthy team capable of contending by the time March rolls around, I doubt there's any selling going on.
If Terry shows he can hang with the big boys of the NHL, Kase returns to health and form, and Sherwood continues his solid play, the Ducks will run into a numbers problem when/if Ritchie, Perry, and Eaves return. Now I'm not advocating for Silfverberg to be traded in order to keep Sherwood in the lineup (or any other hyperbolic reason, for that matter), but I could also see GMBM pushing the narrative that our trade deadline acquisition will be Perry.

GMBM wouldn't have spent the entire summer repeatedly saying he dislikes losing assets for nothing if it solely amounted to rhetoric and had no substance behind it. But like you said, a lot will depend on our playoff position heading into the new year.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If Terry shows he can hang with the big boys of the NHL, Kase returns to health and form, and Sherwood continues his solid play, the Ducks will run into a numbers problem when/if Ritchie, Perry, and Eaves return. Now I'm not advocating for Silfverberg to be traded in order to keep Sherwood in the lineup (or any other hyperbolic reason, for that matter), but I could also see GMBM pushing the narrative that our trade deadline acquisition will be Perry.

GMBM wouldn't have spent the entire summer repeatedly saying he dislikes losing assets for nothing if it solely amounted to rhetoric and had no substance behind it. But like you said, a lot will depend on our playoff position heading into the new year.

The plan was to move Silf to LW before the Kase and Perry injuries. Eaves can also play on the left. They'd find a way to keep the better veterans in the lineup if nearly everyone was healthy, as long as we're contending.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

I hope they can resign him. Not easy to find players like him.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
The plan was to move Silf to LW before the Kase and Perry injuries. Eaves can also play on the left. They'd find a way to keep the better veterans in the lineup if nearly everyone was healthy, as long as we're contending.
If nearly everyone is healthy, we'd have the following wingers available to fill the eight winger spots: Rakell, Terry, Comtois, Silfverberg, Ritchie (assuming he signs), Kase, Eaves, Perry, Cogliano, Gibbons, and Sherwood.

Eight winger spots, with let's say a ninth spot for a healthy scratch. There's question marks among the listed players (Kase, Eaves, and Perry for reasons related to health), and players who can be assigned elsewhere (Terry, Comtois, Sherwood), but it wouldn't be unreasonable for GMBM to trade Silfverberg given our depth when healthy.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If nearly everyone is healthy, we'd have the following wingers available to fill the eight winger spots: Rakell, Terry, Comtois, Silfverberg, Ritchie (assuming he signs), Kase, Eaves, Perry, Cogliano, Gibbons, and Sherwood.

Eight winger spots, with let's say a ninth spot for a healthy scratch. There's question marks among the listed players (Kase, Eaves, and Perry for reasons related to health), and players who can be assigned elsewhere (Terry, Comtois, Sherwood), but it wouldn't be unreasonable for GMBM to trade Silfverberg given our depth when healthy.

I'm pretty much counting Perry out for the year, in the least I don't think he'd be back in time to know if you can count on him when making a decision on whether to sell at the deadline.

If we get all these others back at the same time, I'd think Terry goes down to SD for more seasoning.

Without bothering to get into lines...

LW - Rakell, Cogs, Comtois, Ritchie, Gibbons
C - Getzlaf, Henrique, Kesler, Rowney
RW - Silfverberg, Kase, Eaves, Sherwood

If that group is healthy (along with our blue line and Gibby) they can take on anyone in a 7 game series. We're not hurting for futures, so if we're healthy and competing, definitely don't move Silf, maybe even look to add a rental #5 type D for a reasonable price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad