Player Discussion Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
He's a small body that gets bumped off the puck, not a 2nd line center.

He's 6'1", so I don't think his frame is that small. He just needs to get stronger. A number of the Bruins' young players look like there wasn't enough of a strength focus in their summer work. I'm not sure if the Bruins' management didn't stress it in their end of year meetings, but I felt it was clear that they needed improvement in that last year.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He's 6'1", so I don't think his frame is that small. He just needs to get stronger. A number of the Bruins' young players look like there wasn't enough of a strength focus in their summer work. I'm not sure if the Bruins' management didn't stress it in their end of year meetings, but I felt it was clear that they needed improvement in that last year.

Bjork likely wasn`t able to do nearly as much in the fitness area recovering from last year`s injury

Heinen is just as strong, he`s not losing board battles or being brushed off pucks

Debrusk appears as strong as last year

JFK needs to add that strength but what I do like is he is NOT hesitant in going into the corner to battle or go to the net where he has scored both of his goals from. Board battles requires a few things, willingness and smarts, the strongest player doesn`t always win, it`s often the case of someone creating or giving himself the best body position to win the battle, it`s a learning curve.

Pasta really took off in year 3 although he was one of those dynamic players early. If you recall, his first year the kid fell down if he was sneezed on, year 2, stronger on the puck, still needed to understand the value and importance of sticking his nose into a scrum for pucks rather than just try to pick the puck out while being on the perimeter of a scrum, last season, you could see how much stronger he was on the puck.

It`s easy to forget that these are kids still learning, patience, while difficult at times, is needed

Reactions: HustleB

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Two straight games with a goal.

Still getting limited icetime.

Put him between Marchand and DeBrusk. Would already be an improvement over Nordstrom.

Agree with this 100%. He has shown he has playmaking ability. Give him a few wingers who can finish. He’s also a good defensive player. Experience will only help that. He hasn’t been great at the dot but neither has Nordstrom.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
If the Bruins had sent down Kampfer and played Lauzon-Zboril, who have a history playing together in Prov, they would have won this game.

If JFK didn't miss half the game for lip surgery, they would have won this game.

IF Krug weren't so bad at defense in OT, they would have won this game.

All that said, they did a fine job getting a point and getting 4 of 8 on the road trip. When you have to ice your 12th defenseman in the system because defenseman 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 8 are all injured along with your #1 center and your record is 1 - 1 - 2 for 4 points, that's actually a good job.

With McAvoy back either the next game or the game after and the promising emergence of JFK, they should be able to keep their heads above .500 for the next month. I'm most happy about JFK as the guy we saw last night was the same guy that was the #1C at BU and played a 200 foot, engaged game. I don't know why he hasn't played like that until last night but that was what I saw when watching BU games a couple years ago. When McAovy finally comes back, the Bruins are going to resemble the Terriers of 2 years ago by having JFK as top C with the top defensive pair of Grzelcyk and McAvoy.

I'm not a huge Cassidy fan, but the one thing I admire the most from him is that his 'doghouse' has a revolving door. After the win in Arizona he was asked about JFK getting more minutes and he frankly said he was barely handling the few minutes he had now despite scoring a goal. In this Detroit game, JFK came to play and was as good or better than Krejci so Cassidy flipped him with Nordstrom (not playing well) to play C with Marchand and DeBrusk and they immediately got a goal. When he came back after surgery, the coach put him back out there as the #2 C. He actually won that final draw in OT but the linesman's leg and the other 3 Bruins on the ice couldn't keep the puck out of the net. Anyway, I really appreciate how quick players can get out of his doghouse if they merit it.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If the Bruins had sent down Kampfer and played Lauzon-Zboril, who have a history playing together in Prov, they would have won this game.

Not really seeing how this is true.

If JFK didn't miss half the game for lip surgery, they would have won this game.

IF Krug weren't so bad at defense in OT, they would have won this game.

You spelt Marchand wrong.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Some would say you spelled "spelled" wrong.;)

He spelled "Marchand" wrong.

According to Grammarly, if I was in the UK, 'spelt' would also be acceptable, so I'm in the UK right now :laugh:

Spelled or Spelt?

But the point still stands. Citing Krug's defense on the GWG by Athanasaoui isn't right. Marchand was pitiful on that play and the main reason that goal against happened. And a shoutout to the linesman who is still standing at the faceoff dot in Little Caesars refusing to move but saying "Sorry!!".

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA

You spelt Marchand wrong.
1) Kampfer's play was directly responsible for both goals against at even strength. The coach even called him out on it in the 'post game questions' about pinching at the wrong time. Zboril steadily improved period by period until the last time he was on the ice where he dived in his own zone to get the puck out with about 3 minutes to go in their win over Arizona. Lauzon was top pair for 2 games and dropped down to play with Kampfer. So yeah, I'd say a pairing of Lauzon and Zboril would not have been on the ice for both goals against but it is unprovable. The telling moment will be when Kampfer is bumped out of the lineup when McAvoy returns and Clifton and Lauzon are still playing.
2) That line scored and had a great follow-up shift and didn't come together again until about 10 min to go in the 3rd. Could Marchand and DeBrusk have done better over the 2/3rds of the game they were saddled with Nordstrom as a center? Yes.
3) You can blame either one but at least Marchand engaged with the player. Krug just stood between the Detroit player and Rask, not taking the body, stick, or puck, and effectively screened the goalie on the shot. But you can certainly blame Marchand if you want. He did not win the stick battle so that part was definitely his fault.

I'm hopeful for tomorrow's morning practice that the coach will revert the Krejci line and just move JFK up to Bergy's spot and try that against the Penguins. If he's just as engaged as he was in the last game, the Bruins should beat the Penguins.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
You know what I've enjoyed about watching JFK? His IQ/awareness. He had a play last night that I rewound it 4-5 times. What was the play? Him forechecking.

During a DET breakout JFK started to attack the puck carrier along the boards. What impressed me though was he took an angle that forced his man to put it in one spot and it was exactly where JFK wanted him to go with it, leading to JFK picking it off and seeing up a scoring chance. He flat out baited his man to turn it over and for those who enjoy the little details, it was amazing to see.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
The Bruins website is reporting that Karlsson will center the top line between Marchand and Pastrnak against Pittsburgh. Should be a good test for the youngster.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The Bruins website is reporting that Karlsson will center the top line between Marchand and Pastrnak against Pittsburgh. Should be a good test for the youngster.

Not sure he is ready for that kind of promotion/role after 1 good/great game but why not. Type of move the previous coach never would have made even if you put a gun to his head.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
good stuff from him tonight. Nothing flashy but didn't seem overwhelmed at any point. if he finds his offense a little more then he'll be impossible to send down.

HackeyFanz

Dec 8, 2017
Every game he’s getting a bit better. Looks like he’s getting used to the pace of play at the this level now

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
He was good tonight. Very subtle tho. I would prefer to see Frederic when healthy, just because I prefer that style of play. JFK hasn’t created much thus far, he doesn’t win puck battles in the offensive zone often and usually just gives the puck to someone else. He doesn’t mind going to the net which is nice. I hope we finds some more purpose to his offensive game soon because the talent is there.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Okay, here I come to ruin the party or at least make a case to get thrown out.

I find his play to be vanilla to the extreme. Is he a smart enough player? Sure. But nothing at all about his game stands out. He seems naturally timid and his energy level never seems to get over a 6.5.

I never thought I would turn into this guy, but it really would be helpful, IMO, to bring some real size to this team. Even our physical fourth line is limited in overall size.

I just don’t see how a JFK is what this team needs now or anywhere in the near future. No doubt I’m rooting for him to excel and prove me wrong, but there’s not much there to excite me. Color me impatient.

Reactions: Tbrady12

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
The pace has been very good these past few games.... which in turn has led to chances generated

hope he can keep up since the team is thin in the middle

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Maybe I'm watching a different JFK, but I've enjoyed watching him these last 3 or so games. Tonight he had a nice subtle pass back to Marchand while drawing the defense to him. I think he's been battling very well along the boards as well. I love that he goes right to the net when in the 0-zone to look for rebounds. I can't say enough about his defense, I feel like he's almost putting pressure and making solid plays in his own zone or on the forecheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad