Player Discussion Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Interesting connection between Quinn and JFK at BU... Never would have ventured there....

JFK getting the call-up was surprising to me - from all accounts, he didn't stand out in providence in the first month.
his pace and effort levels seem to be something the coaches and management are on him about. which is why the
first thing i thought was maybe another team wanted a look at him up here - and since the b's had a hole, everyone
gets a look. obviously the bergy injury creates another wrinkle to this, but prior to that, sweeney had to be sniffing
around every crevice of the universe for 3C help (see: kovar, jan).

False Start

May 8, 2018
This guy is annoying the hell out of me right now, and I really really want to see him succeed.

He's making the right plays most of the time, but any time has has a chance to make the play himself, he's constantly deferred to his teammates. There was more than a handful of instances where I thought JFK should skate that in, use his skating and hands to maneuver around people, and instead passed to a somewhat covered teammate.

To be it looks like a confidence thing, or rather a low risk approach. I would like to see him open up his game a little.

Reactions: DKH

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
JFK needs seasoning. The tools are there. He needs to learn how to be a professional NHL player before he can really adjust his game. Consistency, communication, confidence, and experience are invaluable. A player playing cool and confident is going to be a better player on the NHL level than a kid with the deer in the headlights look. Everyone gets nerves, its how you deal with them that can affect your game. Kids, for the most part, don't have any idea how to do that yet.

The best thing JFK can do right now is to soak up what the pro's around him are doing, saying, their habits, their life. Then once he has these new tools he can then launch his game to the NHL level. This applies to all our kids. Sometimes a struggling prospect will take some time off his game(If a good coach can advise him) and focus on these other skills that are a bedrock to build your game on they will then come back and be a whole new player. Prospects can make leaps in development when they "get it" on things. Sometimes its serendipity that this happens, most of the time it's a vet player or coach that gives them a new perspective. The people around a player have as much to do with a kids development as what's going on in the kids head.

Reactions: HustleB and DKH

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
JFK needs seasoning. The tools are there. He needs to learn how to be a professional NHL player before he can really adjust his game. Consistency, communication, confidence, and experience are invaluable. A player playing cool and confident is going to be a better player on the NHL level than a kid with the deer in the headlights look. Everyone gets nerves, its how you deal with them that can affect your game. Kids, for the most part, don't have any idea how to do that yet.

The best thing JFK can do right now is to soak up what the pro's around him are doing, saying, their habits, their life. Then once he has these new tools he can then launch his game to the NHL level. This applies to all our kids. Sometimes a struggling prospect will take some time off his game(If a good coach can advise him) and focus on these other skills that are a bedrock to build your game on they will then come back and be a whole new player. Prospects can make leaps in development when they "get it" on things. Sometimes its serendipity that this happens, most of the time it's a vet player or coach that gives them a new perspective. The people around a player have as much to do with a kids development as what's going on in the kids head.

I think this is right on. I don't think JFK has been awful, but he really looks out of place and timid out there for the most part. Again, not awful, but just a non-factor. He reminds me of Grizz in his first call-up: not impressive and clearly not ready for the pace of the game and physical demands. The problem is, even if Bergy wasn't injured, is where do the Bruins look for that 3C that do the minutes right now and maybe the remainder of the season? Backes is a shell of his former self, Frederic is hurt, Nordstrom I guess could do it but that is a band aid solution. :dunno:

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I think this is right on. I don't think JFK has been awful, but he really looks out of place and timid out there for the most part. Again, not awful, but just a non-factor. He reminds me of Grizz in his first call-up: not impressive and clearly not ready for the pace of the game and physical demands. The problem is, even if Bergy wasn't injured, is where do the Bruins look for that 3C that do the minutes right now and maybe the remainder of the season? Backes is a shell of his former self, Frederic is hurt, Nordstrom I guess could do it but that is a band aid solution. :dunno:

You ready for this.

Colby Cave is Riley Nash is Colby Cave.

Same number of letters in first and last names.

Same ginger couef.

Same game.

Bring him up already!

upload_2018-11-19_11-13-0.png

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You ready for this.

Same ginger couef.

Same game.

Bring him up already!

View attachment 156057

Too funny! I'm down for giving the guy a shot. From all reports he has been the straw stirring the drink in Providence this season, so why not let him have a look at the center spot? It can't be any worse than JFK at this point (well, it could . . .) and he brings an energy game which I think the team needs. I wonder how he'd look with Nordstrom and Wagner as grind/energy line?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
You ready for this.

Same ginger couef.

Same game.

Bring him up already!

View attachment 156057

hilarious

Give the Cave man a chance

Worse case he is going to be a freight train... skates hard

leading the team in point - 18 points in 15 games down at Providence ... best start yet

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

I think you do what they are doing: Play the kids for a few weeks, get their feet wet. Then by January you start looking for a cheap 3rd line center vet if anyone else has not nailed down the job.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Showing tonight why you don't jump all over a prospect because they start out slow. He's looking comfortable and has another goal, coming from a dirty area. Follows it up a shift later with a beautiful pass to Acciari. He isn't flashy but has shown some solid playmaking ability. As he gets more comfortable, I expect it to only come out more.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
I watched JFK maybe 6-7 times his sophomore year at BU and felt like he should have gone back for his jr year with the mandate to get more involved offensively. He was under a point per game (understand his defensive/face off game was ready for jump) and was invisible for long stretches, than would make a heady, opprtunistic pass or play and pick up a point but he was not noticeable for the majority of the games I watched. I don’t know that going back for his jr year would have made a difference, he just seems to have a passive approach, relying on his anticipation/IQ to capitalize when opportunities present themselves. I don’t think it would be so unfortunate if you didn’t have Heinen (and some nights Krejci) playing with similar mindsets...all with mediocre skating ability at best. Still think he could be a good third line center eventually but will need the right line mates...puck hounds who can forcheck and create turnovers, quick transitions. Either way, good to see him grab his second goal tonight.

BruinsNetwork

Just curious for those who have actually seen Cave play. Is he a "freight train" in any sense?

No. Cave isn’t an overly physical player out there, and I don’t think he’d be able to offer more offense than JFK. Cave gets involved and throws hits, but he’s not much of a “frieght train.” I’d rather see JFK at 3C than Cave, despite what the point-total in Providence says.

JFK is being asked to do a lot, and I think he’s playing well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HustleB

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He seems to be adapting. Hey, he’s got two goals crashing the net. Who would’ve thought. I’m still puzzled by the call up, but it’s going ok.

Reactions: Blowfish

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This guy is annoying the hell out of me right now, and I really really want to see him succeed.

He's making the right plays most of the time, but any time has has a chance to make the play himself, he's constantly deferred to his teammates. There was more than a handful of instances where I thought JFK should skate that in, use his skating and hands to maneuver around people, and instead passed to a somewhat covered teammate.

To be it looks like a confidence thing, or rather a low risk approach. I would like to see him open up his game a little.
not so sure it`s a confidence thing more than a rookie thing. We have seen it a ton before, recall many times last year, especially early season when all of Bjork/Heinen/Debrusk did the same thing, defer to a more experienced teammate. McAvoy also did it often when he likely should have taken the puck up ice himself and/or shot instead of passed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad