Confirmed with Link: Jake Walman

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm baffled by all the people stating they know how the process works and then demonstrating that they don't.

Arbitration is adversarial in nature. If you are reasonable, you get f***ed because you know damn well the other side won't be. Or at least you better know that.

Two-way for a guy that was up all year and hasn't been in the A in two seasons is insulting. Now that the insults are out of the way, the negotiations begin.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm baffled by all the people stating they know how the process works and then demonstrating that they don't.

Arbitration is adversarial in nature. If you are reasonable, you get f***ed because you know damn well the other side won't be. Or at least you better know that.

Two-way for a guy that was up all year and hasn't been in the A in two seasons is insulting. Now that the insults are out of the way, the negotiations begin.
We're also talking about a player that signed for a pay cut from his ELC with a $725k salary cap.

If he doesn't sign with the Wings he's going to wind up in the AHL anyways after he misses half the season.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
We're also talking about a player that signed for a pay cut from his ELC with a $725k salary cap.

If he doesn't sign with the Wings he's going to wind up in the AHL anyways after he misses half the season.
He's going to sign with the Wings (unless they walk of course). That's the whole reason he went to arbitration.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

I agree that the two way thing is a bit odd

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Give him $1.5m / 1yr. Chris can afford it and cap doesn't matter. Jesus, let the guy make some money. Why is everyone so uptight on salary when it doesn't matter.

After taxes and expenses he'll be lucky to see $500k of that.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
When teams go to arb, who goes and represents the team? Does a lawyer present their side based on discussions with who, the gm?

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Honestly, are we lowballing him or is he just asking for too much? If the later, do you really want a guy like that on your team?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
On Bertuzzi case, player side asked for 4.25M (imo, more realistic value) and team low-balled by 3.15M

Arbitrator settled to more team-favor 3.5M.

All arbitration cases have lately been very team-favored, for some reason.

And Walman-case is no different. He will be much nearer of the team-filed value, than his own ask. In this case it's the more realistic and I don't see any factor to favor the player ask.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Give him $1.5m / 1yr. Chris can afford it and cap doesn't matter. Jesus, let the guy make some money. Why is everyone so uptight on salary when it doesn't matter.

After taxes and expenses he'll be lucky to see $500k of that.

Because rich guys don't become rich guys by giving away unnecessary money.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Honestly, are we lowballing him or is he just asking for too much? If the later, do you really want a guy like that on your team?
It will be worth seeing whether they come to an agreement before an arbitrator makes the decision for them. I know in the past the franchise has tried to avoid the process of bagging on the player to support their case, but I don't know if that is still the case.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
I want to point out that if it does go to arbitration, they cannot make a deal at that point and the award is a one year deal.

So does $1.2M one year contract make sense for the Wings when Walman is going to miss at least half the season then go to free agency? I think if it's a one way contract over a mil Stevie will walk. Borderline defensemen are dime a dozen, as we've seen the past few seasons.
I feel like I say this a lot, but there are likely Walman-like players on FA that are healthy, so the fact that he's gonna be out for a while this season, I don't see the value.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I feel like I say this a lot, but there are likely Walman-like players on FA that are healthy, so the fact that he's gonna be out for a while this season, I don't see the value.

I'm kind of with you here. Are we expecting Wallman to have a renaissance and turn into a top 4 D? Everything I saw of the guy last year made me think he's an average #6 to a good #7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad