Confirmed with Link: Jake Walman

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway

That's big gap between two completely different contracts lol... Sorry I think Jake is nuts for asking for a 1.7M 1 way contract

He's not nuts. This is how arbitration works. They'll meet somewhere in the middle. But first Walman has to talk his game up, and the Wings have to talk his game down. Walman's first priority is a one way contract

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He's not nuts. This is how arbitration works. They'll meet somewhere in the middle. But first Walman has to talk his game up, and the Wings have to talk his game down. Walman's first priority is a one way contract

He’s proven exactly Jack and shit since playing in the NHL. He’s a #6/7 Dman right now.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
I think 950k on a two way is fair, I could see it being more like 1.2 after arbitration. I wouldn't be thrilled, but it's hardly the end of the world, especially thinking back to some of the D they iced these past few seasons with injuries.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Yawn.

Who cares.

Obviously me, since I'm posting.

Or am I just bored.

Why don't I use question marks.

Walman is ok. He skates well, has a couple nice tools, a little upside, still can't defend, his gaps are huge and you certainly have to mind them. I'm confident he'll get a contract commensurate with all that and it won't hamper the Detroit Red Wings in any way. He'll be a depth piece and we'll barely notice.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
He’s proven exactly Jack and shit since playing in the NHL. He’s a #6/7 Dman right now.
He has nothing to lose by asking that.

By no means am I saying he's worth it. Every player that goes to arbitration asks for more than they are worth

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Evolving-hockey estimated:

971k for 1-year
997k for 2-year

Average 984k.

I think it's a low-ball offer from the team side, but also moronic to ask 1.7M from player side.

Could them ending very near of that 984k. Arbitrator has been very realistic and team-friendly on latest settlements.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Evolving-hockey estimated:

971k for 1-year
997k for 2-year

Average 984k.

I think it's a low-ball offer from the team side, but also moronic to ask 1.7M from player side.

Could them ending very near of that 984k. Arbitrator has been very realistic and team-friendly on latest settlements.
Yeah, sounds about correct. Biggest question is one or two way.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I wonder if Yzerman walks away from this contract if there is an arbitration award greater than 1 mil. He has enough bodies at this point.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I wonder if Yzerman walks away from this contract if there is an arbitration award greater than 1 mil. He has enough bodies at this point.

1) it’s not going to be
2) he won’t
3) I still don’t understand how people don’t get arbitration. Walman doesn’t have a leg to stand on for anything above league minimum. He’s injured and he’s got virtually no track record to put against comparables.

I’m figuring that they’re asking for 1.7m because if the Wings are overstuffed with players and they are forced to bury him, Walman’s agent knows they’ll get 1.125m in cap freed up. So they’re trying to work a deal that convinces Detroit to keep him in the NHL.

Walman knows he’s not getting 1.7. The Wings understand that 770/225k is underpayment.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, sounds about correct. Biggest question is one or two way.

That's kind of easy to settle from the team side. I don't see at all Walman sent to AHL. More of find a trade before that.

Quite sure player would be very pleased for any sum as 1-way.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm guessing his agent is desperately grasping on how it seemed that for his 1/4 of a season as a Red Wing, they seemed to value him over the #4LD that's due to receive $1.45M this coming season.

Guessing they'll meet around $1.1M on a 1-way deal.

That's my prediction as well.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I bet he does if it's one way. Walman is going to miss at least half the season anyways.

I'm guessing this arbitration is really about one vs two way than the contract amount, and if Stevie had offered him a one way Walman would have signed.

Not much risk on his side, he can find an AHL contract anywhere. He may not be a legit NHLer, but his skating is way above average AHL.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Don't care how these things work. RIDICULOUS that a player is asking 1.7 for at most half a season of play when they had 10 pts in 51 GP last year and will be coming off an injury/surgery when they do play.

Well apparently his comps are Vrana, Pysyk, and Fabbri, he wants to be paid to be on IR.

I'm not sure how insurance works on this one considering he was injured while playing for the Wings but doesn't have a contract for next season, I can't imagine insurance paying out his new contract considering it's now a pre-existing injury.

If he does get $1.7M in arbitration, I'll bet money Stevie walks.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think 950k on a two way is fair, I could see it being more like 1.2 after arbitration. I wouldn't be thrilled, but it's hardly the end of the world, especially thinking back to some of the D they iced these past few seasons with injuries.
I want to point out that if it does go to arbitration, they cannot make a deal at that point and the award is a one year deal.

So does $1.2M one year contract make sense for the Wings when Walman is going to miss at least half the season then go to free agency? I think if it's a one way contract over a mil Stevie will walk. Borderline defensemen are dime a dozen, as we've seen the past few seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad