Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Staring to pick his game up nicely...
(Not talking about the points today)

Really like what I saw outta him today... o
Game is creeping closer to being a Consistent difference maker.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Staring to pick his game up nicely...
(Not talking about the points today)

Really like what I saw outta him today... o
Game is creeping closer to being a Consistent difference maker.

he read the play early enough to force a turn over that lead to the 1st empty netter. Not a bad play, actually it's a confidence booster that Green puts him out to defend a 1 goal lead.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Nucksfan1990

Aug 8, 2018
He's gotta start somewhere. I met his pre junior center from Abbotsford this summer, and while they're a few years younger than myself, I feel as if I got a good insight.

Personally I was expecting and still am hoping for big things this year from this player. Local whispering seem to indicate he's got a new found dedication to fitness and education of the game. Since those were 2 of the biggest problems with Jake, I'm hoping this a start of some career momentum for him.

Reactions: alternate and F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He's gotta start somewhere. I met his pre junior center from Abbotsford this summer, and while they're a few years younger than myself, I feel as if I got a good insight.

Personally I was expecting and still am hoping for big things this year from this player. Local whispering seem to indicate he's got a new found dedication to fitness and education of the game. Since those were 2 of the biggest problems with Jake, I'm hoping this a start of some career momentum for him.

What kind of insight did you get? Granted Virtanen was a star who was the 1st overall pick in the WHL bantam draft.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
A few empty net points. People are getting excited.

Fans should get excited he is still young is really starting to show what had him drafted in 1st round and any coach who puts you out there to protect a lead is giving both reward and showing confidence in his play talk about 180° change in his effort and game it's fun to see.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

To be fair to Jake.. it seemed to turn for him last season... as robustly discussed here... dispite production.

So far it's been a continuation of his 2 way commitment and having Green's trust.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Fans should get excited he is still young is really starting to show what had him drafted in 1st round and any coach who puts you out there to protect a lead is giving both reward and showing confidence in his play talk about 180° change in his effort and game it's fun to see.

Ya except that’s not what he was drafted for. Cool he is trusted to play defense on a team with no better options but he wasn’t drafted 6th overall to protect leads. But I agree it’s better than nothing I guess.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It all comes down to perspective and context. If people want to be happy that Virtanen is showing some promise as a limited bottom six winger, that’s fine. It’s just like buying stock in a company for $50 per share, watching it plummet to $10, and then celebrating its rise to $15. Personally, I find that type of thinking bizarre since it ignores the greater context.

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
Getting key defensive assignments is a BIG thing with Jake though, because it shows a level of trust from HC Travis Green that wasn't always there.
Once a coach trusts you defensively, your ice time typically rises and there are more opportunities to produce offensively.
How many gifted forwards could never get significant ice time and generate points at the NHL level because their coaches thought their defensive deficiencies outweighed their offensive upside?

It's a reason to be optimistic, that's all.

Reactions: alternate

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
It all comes down to perspective and context. If people want to be happy that Virtanen is showing some promise as a limited bottom six winger, that’s fine. It’s just like buying stock in a company for $50 per share, watching it plummet to $10, and then celebrating its rise to $15. Personally, I find that type of thinking bizarre since it ignores the greater context.

Awesome analogy.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Getting key defensive assignments is a BIG thing with Jake though, because it shows a level of trust from HC Travis Green that wasn't always there.
Once a coach trusts you defensively, your ice time typically rises and there are more opportunities to produce offensively.
How many gifted forwards could never get significant ice time and generate points at the NHL level because their coaches thought their defensive deficiencies outweighed their offensive upside?

It's a reason to be optimistic, that's all.

I’ll be more optimistic when Green puts Jake out in the final 2 minutes DOWN a goal. That’d be something.

I’m sure he trusts Jay Beagle too, doesn’t mean Beagle’s getting 18 minutes and key PP time.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

You find it bizarre that people won't bring up his draft spot every time he scores a goal or has a good game?

You wish for people to hold on the perspective of him as a 6th overall draft pick till when.. forever?

Whats bizarre is you being unable let it go and accept the progress he's making toward being a beast of a player.

In the meanwhile, while it lasts, just enjoy that Virtanen having a better start to the season and being a more significant difference maker than Ehlers this yr.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Good for Virtanen. I've said it before, I believe his game will translate well and be an asset when the Canucks ultimately do make the playoffs. Not necessarily what you draft for in the 6th slot but he can still make a meaningful contribution to the team.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You find it bizarre that people won't bring up his draft spot every time he scores a goal or has a good game?

You wish for people to hold on the perspective of him as a 6th overall draft pick till when.. forever?

Whats bizarre is you being unable let it go and accept the progress he's making toward being a beast of a player.

In the meanwhile, while it lasts, just enjoy that Virtanen having a better start to the season and being a more significant difference maker than Ehlers this yr.

Maybe Ehlers coach puts him out for the last 2 minutes too?

That’s the bar isn’t it? If it’s low for Jake, keep it low for everyone.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
That wasn't what Ehlers was drafted for.
Am I doing it right?

That’s not what Jake was drafted for either.

If by doing it “right” you mean applying the same standard to both players, no you’re not doing it right.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Lmao. Ppl here just cant enjoy anything. What a crappy way to live life and see everything as half empty.

Jake wasnt drafted to score goals or get points....jake, like every single hockey player is drafted to help win games and thats exactly what Jake did last night. Points, defence, forecheck, agression..WIN.

Moving forward a couple seasons when we are competitive and in playoffs and if Jake continues to be a big part of our wins then 6th overall or not ill be happy.

Reactions: alternate

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Lmao. Ppl here just cant enjoy anything. What a crappy way to live life and see everything as half empty.

Jake wasnt drafted to score goals or get points....jake, like every single hockey player is drafted to help win games and thats exactly what Jake did last night. Points, defence, forecheck, agression..WIN.

Moving forward a couple seasons when we are competitive and in playoffs and if Jake continues to be a big part of our wins then 6th overall or not ill be happy.

Wow, talk about moving the goal posts. Jake was drafted to score goals which helps win a lot more games than being the guy who bangs it out of the zone in the final minute. You can put Jay Beagle and Brendan Gaunce out for that.

It’s not being negative to have expectations of things. When I get served a shitty meal I don’t thank the server for at least bringing clean cutlery.

Reactions: SillyRabbit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad