Player Discussion Jake Virtanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Any news with Virtanens off season regiment ?? I know he was skills training w. Barber

Hopefully he is staying away from the useless trainers that the Canucks employ that seem to injure our players in the off season every year.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
McCann signed for 2 years at 1.25M/yr. He has a better pedigree than Jake in the NHL, so you are looking something like 2 years at 1M/yr for Jake. Of course it's Benning so you never know.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Yes, JV is great on the rush, and is equally defensively responsible as Sutter. However, JV needs a centre who distributes the puck, which we currently don’t have. I could see him playing with Sutter in a shut down role. His speed could generate a lot of chances on turn overs. You might have something here. Good post.

I don't think Jake needs a center to distribute the puck to him. Jake creates of a lot of his chances by making end to end rushes, his speed, forechecking and backchecking. Virtanen can still do all of those things without an playmaking center. The RW spot beside Sutter is a perfect spot for Virtanen assuming he can eliminate all the mistakes he makes..

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
He’s playing roller hockey.

Any news with Virtanens off season regiment ?? I know he was skills training w. Barber

Hopefully he is staying away from the useless trainers that the Canucks employ that seem to injure our players in the off season every year.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
You mean 20 points in his draft+3 year makes him a bust? He was only a 6th overall pick. What do you want from him!!!!!

Draft + 4 he was a 20 point nhl player. Drsft + 3 he was a 19 point ahl player.

Most players that can't get more than 19 points in the ahl most likely won't become any legit scorer in the nhl.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Most players that can't get more than 19 points in the ahl most likely won't become any legit scorer in the nhl.

Easily the best skater on the team.
Easily the best hitter on the team.
20 goal potential as a solid 2nd or 3rd liner.

Not every power forward has fully developed by 21.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Kid’s a bust, Benning’s incompetence strikes again.

He was a terrible pick but is the furthest thing from a bust and was our best forward on multiple nights to close out the season.

Our-performed his contract and usage and will be a very useful 15-15-30 fast physical middle-6 forward as long as our idiot GM doesn't piss him away, which will probably happen.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Easily the best skater on the team.
Easily the best hitter on the team.
20 goal potential as a solid 2nd or 3rd liner.

Not every power forward has fully developed by 21.

Shawn Antoski was a great skater and a hitter as well which means it takes a lot more than just hitting and skating to score 20 goals.

True but I can't think of any players that had 19 points in a full ahl season and went three straight years without scoring more than 10 goals and 20 points and became a future scoring powerforward. In the professional levels Virtanen hasn't shown anything that he is capable of scoring 20 goals. Last 20 or so games when Boeser got hurt. Green gave him the icetime and yes he created more chances but only had 5 points in his last 20 games. So is all of sudden out of nowhere going become a goal scorer?

Everytime when Virtanen plays a higher level of hockey wjc, AHL, Nhl he has stfuggle to produce. The reason for that is Virtanen just can't process the game fast enough. Virtanen is similiar to Yakapov in a way. Yes I know they both play different style of hockey but both are lacking hockey sense and can't process the game fast enough and that is one reason they can't take their game to another level.

It's the sexy skating and him being a local boy and that's why some Canucks fans are in love with this kid

Reactions: Catbug

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Exactly. But here on HF he can do no wrong. Imagine if his name wasn’t Jake Virtanen.

If he wore a nameless jersey and you watched him play with his output 99% of people on here would be clamouring for his head and why is he still in the NHL??

Don’t forget, when he skates fast and shoots at the goalies logo 99% of the time , people say “he’s turning a corner” lol.

It’s ok to admit he’s a bust. We made a mistake. Admit it and move on.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
He needs to score at a 15/82 goal pace for me to consider this season a success.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Shawn Antoski was a great skater and a hitter as well which means it takes a lot more than just hitting and skating to score 20 goals.

True but I can't think of any players that had 19 points in a full ahl season and went three straight years without scoring more than 10 goals and 20 points and became a future scoring powerforward. In the professional levels Virtanen hasn't shown anything that he is capable of scoring 20 goals. Last 20 or so games when Boeser got hurt. Green gave him the icetime and yes he created more chances but only had 5 points in his last 20 games. So is all of sudden out of nowhere going become a goal scorer?

Everytime when Virtanen plays a higher level of hockey wjc, AHL, Nhl he has stfuggle to produce. The reason for that is Virtanen just can't process the game fast enough. Virtanen is similiar to Yakapov in a way. Yes I know they both play different style of hockey but both are lacking hockey sense and can't process the game fast enough and that is one reason they can't take their game to another level.

It's the sexy skating and him being a local boy and that's why some Canucks fans are in love with this kid

Last year Virtanen really started to take the puck to the net. If he improves his finish I see no reason why he cant be a very effective power winger scoring 15-20 goals.

He is a better skater with better moves than Shawn Antoski

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Not sure how many of you follow Jake on Instagram, but he's been working out at @yardathletics and according to his most recent story he looks like he's in some of the best shape we've ever seen him in. He looks bigger in the arms and chest than ever before and he looks LEAN.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
A puck distributor would only be wasted on Virtanen, similar to how Booth was wasted on a line with the Sedins. I think the way to optimize Virtanen is to give him two other guys who can similarly wreak havoc on the forecheck and possibly play a power game.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Hope he does well. Would make for a nice redemption story if he can overcome his early turmoils.

We do need to tamper expectations. He didn't draft him self 6th over all so we shouldn't hold him responsible for that.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Exactly. But here on HF he can do no wrong. Imagine if his name wasn’t Jake Virtanen.

If he wore a nameless jersey and you watched him play with his output 99% of people on here would be clamouring for his head and why is he still in the NHL??

Don’t forget, when he skates fast and shoots at the goalies logo 99% of the time , people say “he’s turning a corner” lol.

It’s ok to admit he’s a bust. We made a mistake. Admit it and move on.
It's the other way around, IMO. Virtanen has quickly gone from overrated to underrated in this past year, thanks to his previous putrid bust-worthy total-liability performances leading up to it (arguably due to being rushed) combined with the fact that his counting stats didn't reflect his effectiveness.

In reality, if you isolate last season and ignore the name on his back, as well the negative reputation that has been built up (deservedly so), Virtanen was a very effective, hard-working role-player who constantly made things difficult for the opposition, pushed the balance of play in the correct direction, and was often one of our better players on the ice (easily our best forechecker at the moment). He honestly played well enough that it would have been a huge help to the team last year if there were a Virtanen on every line.

I think his upside was overblown when he was drafted, my mind hasn't been changed about him having really low hockey IQ that will likely keep him from ever becoming a high end offensive player (I think the claims that his low hockey IQ is a myth is a total joke), but he's made very promising progress, and is turning out about as well as can be expected given his limited upside at the time of being drafted, IMO.

It wasn't the right draft pick to make, but he's still tracking well to fit nicely into that Cooke/Hansen-esque high-end 3rd liner spot at some point, and is among the least of our problems at the moment.

Last edited:

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I see him as a Raffi Torres/Tom Wilson type. Not what you want at #6, but better than people are selling him as on here. He should've been drafted in the 10-20 range for sure. He will still be a valuable NHLer, especially if he can focus on his hockey sense, passing and team play in the next couple of years.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
i see him putting ferland like numbers up soon. He had 21 goals and 40pts this season at age 25.

these guys can be really valuable come playoff time

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
I see him as a Raffi Torres/Tom Wilson type. Not what you want at #6, but better than people are selling him as on here. He should've been drafted in the 10-20 range for sure. He will still be a valuable NHLer, especially if he can focus on his hockey sense, passing and team play in the next couple of years.

Really? There is no way I would ever want to draft that kind of player that early in the first round. These types, while valuable, are not worth the premium draft choice. Put it this way, I would never trade a top 20 pick for a Raffi Torres or Tom Wilson.

Reactions: Hit the post

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Jakes one me over. Some of my old hostile posts against him are embarrassing now haha which is why i cooled it on the Juolevi hate train cause you never know

Anyways i really wanna seem him on a line with

Lipesic Beagles Virtanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad