Player Discussion Jake Virtanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
of the last 25 6th overall picks.....starting at 2016
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 solid hits who were vastly superior to Virtanen at 21/22 - Tkachuk OEL Lindholm Monahan Zibanejad Michalek Hartnell R.Smyth Kozlov Forsberg = 40%

3 superior players who were still developing as scorers at 21/22 - Brassard Gagner Stillman = 12%

4 pretty equal at 21/22 (Zacha at 20/21 due to age) - Zacha Upshall Koivu Devereaux = 16%

8 poorer players at 21/22 and all except Connolly completely busted - Connolly Filatov Brule Tkaczuk Kelley Scissons Bennett Pearson = 32%
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 busted goalies who i left out due to the poor developmental comparisons and change in drafting goalie philosophy - Montoya Finley
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on the development of #6 picks at 21/22 Jake Virtanen is somewhere between 40% and 48% slightly below average. i rated him above Upshall and Devereaux

I could realistically see him only passing Gagner and Zacha

Reactions: Catbug

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Geez I hope we don't crash the forum with everyone checking back here next year ;)
Im going to be called such a smeg head if he doesnt score 20 or even 3 by then. The forums already going to crash everytine Tavares scores, maybe even every TML gameday

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
of the last 25 6th overall picks.....starting at 2016
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 solid hits who were vastly superior to Virtanen at 21/22 - Tkachuk OEL Lindholm Monahan Zibanejad Michalek Hartnell R.Smyth Kozlov Forsberg = 40%

3 superior players who were still developing as scorers at 21/22 - Brassard Gagner Stillman = 12%

4 pretty equal at 21/22 (Zacha at 20/21 due to age) - Zacha Upshall Koivu Devereaux = 16%

8 poorer players at 21/22 and all except Connolly completely busted - Connolly Filatov Brule Tkaczuk Kelley Scissons Bennett Pearson = 32%
2 busted goalies who i left out due to the poor developmental comparisons and change in drafting goalie philosophy - Montoya Finley

Based on the development of #6 picks at 21/22 Jake Virtanen is somewhere between 40% and 48% slightly below average. i rated him above Upshall and Devereaux

I could realistically see him only passing Gagner and Zacha

prime mikko koivu was a very good hockey player.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
the comp was for 21/22yr olds?

Koivu because of the lockout didnt play till his draft +5.

If you read the breakdown i rate him higher i just wasn't able to rate him higher at draft +4 because he was in the AHL.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He'll be our Molson Cup 3 Stars champ for the duration of his prime... or whatever the current sponsor is.

I think he'll be our most significant game changer... good and bad.

As long as he achieves consistency...

KingOfTheES

Nov 29, 2016
Jimboism is catching on here in this Virtanen thread.

We have a player that is disappointing and under-performing compared to other players in the draft that were taken around him. His on ice results are disappointing especially compared to Nylander and Ehlers, who the majority of this board wanted to take over JV.

However, Benning Bro's say he is fine because of intangibles! He can skate fast! And, somehow, he'll be a huge threat in the playoffs (he just doesn't help us get into dance :huh:).

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

We have a player that is disappointing and under-performing compared to other players in the draft that were taken around him. His on ice results are disappointing especially compared to Nylander and Ehlers, who the majority of this board wanted to take over JV.

However, Benning Bro's say he is fine because of intangibles! He can skate fast! And, somehow, he'll be a huge threat in the playoffs (he just doesn't help us get into dance :huh:).

75 players in the league scored 60p or more last season. Nylander and Ehlers were in that group. They are 1st line forwards. Somehow people are able to talk them selves in to believeing a bottom 6er is equal or better because how they performed in the playoffs. (Nylander at a 50p pace and Ehlers at a 40p pace)

Safe to say its not a matter of objectively observing the facts but having a preconceived agenda and doing some serious mental gymnastics to make the reality fit that agenda.

Reactions: racerjoe

KingOfTheES

Nov 29, 2016
75 players in the league scored 60p or more last season. Nylander and Ehlers were in that group. They are 1st line forwards. Somehow people are able to talk them selves in to believeing a bottom 6er is equal or better because how they performed in the playoffs. (Nylander at a 50p pace and Ehlers at a 40p pace)

Safe to say its not a matter of objectively observing the facts but having a preconceived agenda and doing some serious mental gymnastics to make the reality fit that agenda.

Nylander and Ehlers scoring at 50p and 40p paces in the playoffs is them being exposed!

Virtanen potting 5 points in the last 20 games of the season is 'eye-popping' and 'really showing promise.'

Hilarious.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

It's actually ok to discuss Virtanen's progress and posituve attributes as a player without bringing up Ehlers or Nylander.

Or You could keep banging the Virtanen v Ehlers/Nylander drum for the rest of their careers to piss on Jake or to counter argue.

Its lazy at this point.
Jimboism? Benning Bros? Lazy. Lazy.

Last edited:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
It's actually ok to discuss Virtanen's progress and posituve attributes as a player without bringing up Ehlers or Nylander.

Or You could keep banging the Virtanen v Ehlers/Nylander drum for the rest of their careers to piss on Jake or to counter argue.

Its lazy at this point.

Well, to be fair Nylander and Ehlers get mainly (at least lately) brought up by people saying Jake will turn out the better / more valueable player and not by the folks that were disappointed in the pick itself. I would say you have to agree that is indeed hilarious when people claim Jake is better because he wont cost as much so it allows us sign more Beagles (that really happened)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Well, to be fair Nylander and Ehlers get mainly (at least lately) brought up by people saying Jake will turn out the better / more valueable player and not by the folks that were disappointed in the pick itself. I would say you have to agree that is indeed hilarious when people claim Jake is better because he wont cost as much so it allows us sign more Beagles (that really happened)
No... to be actually fair, it is brought up waaaaay more by people countering anything positive about Virtanen.

KingOfTheES

Nov 29, 2016

Its lazy at this point.

There is literally two pages of discussion trying to justify the pick not being a wiff due to other players in the past not turning out being picked in that position. Which is an exercise in futility when the consensus skaters taken just after him have both turned out to be, surprise, better in all aspects of playing hockey.

I'll bang the drum all I want when people are bending over backwards to justify the pick not being a total miss.

But sure I'm lazy when you are posting dross like this:

Will be a beast.

Will be lucky to carve out a career beyond the 4th line.

Between Peter Forsberg and Virtanen.. there were maybe 3 franchise players taken at 6th.. 1991 to 2013... 22-23 players.

Quite a few nice careers from some of the others.. a few all star games. A few core pieces...

Yeah.. that "live up to a 6th pick" thing is definitely overstated. .. like expecting a franchise player should be the expectation.

Nobody is expecting a franchise player. Just so disingenuous. Just would hope that super-scout Jimbo would be able to see what the vast majority of this board saw.

He'll be our Molson Cup 3 Stars champ for the duration of his prime... or whatever the current sponsor is.

I think he'll be our most significant game changer... good and bad.

As long as he achieves consistency...

Significant game changer? You have got to be kidding me. His 5 points in 20 games has really made a mark on you. Set your standards low enough and he'll eventually meet them.

But sure - I'm lazy. When your standard is 'Will be a beast' I guess I really have nothing to respond to.

KingOfTheES

Nov 29, 2016

Serious question. Do you realize the irony is dismissing a lot of peoples points as hyperbole, and complaining about hyperbole all the time, while saying some of the things you do?

Hilarious if it's just a shtick. Sad if it isn't.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Serious question. Do you realize the irony is dismissing a lot of peoples points as hyperbole, and complaining about hyperbole all the time, while saying some of the things you do?

It wasn’t a schtick until recently, but they’re now playing the “LOL IM NOT A MORON JUST TROLLING TOTALLY DOESNT COUNT” angle. A couple of them have gradually switched over in the past 6 months or so.

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

You have an example?

Because I've some what defined what I mean by beast..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad