Player Discussion Jake Virtanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Am I totally off saying Kreider makes his money as a garbage goal net-front **** disturber?

(I don't watch the Rangers play because they hurt my feeling 24 years ago)
He plays a lot like Booth/E.Kane. Alot of really fast 1 man rushes where he tries to use his speed/size to beat a dman. Either will drive to the net hard or take a wrist shot from the wing while in stride.

Not really a Hornqvist type

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
David Booth has always made a lot more sense to me as a Virtanen comparison than Jannik Hansen, who seems to be the choice of many.
For sure. Jake doesn’t have anything close to Hansen’s intense chase-and-harass style game while Jake has better raw goal scoring tools. I’ve always thought Jake could be a Chris Kreider but he’ll have to greatly improve his conversion rate to get there.
By default, a Chris Kreider/David Booth type is almost an identical comparable in terms of play style at the time he was drafted.

However, the strides he made last season (not in production, but in play style/brand of effectiveness) does inch him slightly further from that and closer to a Hansen style of game (using his speed to forecheck/back-check effectively in somewhat of a puck-hound way), which is promising. That's where the comparisons come from. It's certainly arguable that he's still way closer to Kreider/Booth than he is to Hansen, though.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Virtanen's defensive game will set him apart from any Booth comparisons moving forward.
It's a very underrated part of his game that I think will come to the forefront for A LOT of people here this season if he gets used the way I think he will.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
In his D+4 year, Booth already had a 40 point season under his belt. Virtanen seems to be a notch below offensively. Then again, Kreider broke out in his 5th season, putting up 37 points in 66 games. Still possible for Virtanen to match that progression.

This is a big year for JV offensively. He's got to put up 35+ points for there to be any hope that he will mature into a low-end top6 player. 2nd unit PP time is key, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: bossram and timw33

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
mvAfmMg.png

lmaooooooo :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
bragging about being in abbotsford....smh the questions about this guy's IQ, hockey or otherwise, aren't going away

I don’t think he was bragging, defending himself against some random persons false accusations
Beside Abbotsford is so nice this time of the year, much less murdery

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Who the hell is Trevor Knapp? I don't do Twitter, listen to the radio, or pay too much attention to the local media but at least have heard names and I haven't heard of this guy.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Who the hell is Trevor Knapp? I don't do Twitter, listen to the radio, or pay too much attention to the local media but at least have heard names and I haven't heard of this guy.
Hes the guy whose GF ditched him for Virtanen and from what I heard and has been hasslin and razzin him for a while since but Jake normally ignores his nonsense. Not sure if is all true or not but the guy sounds like a total loser...

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Hes the guy whose GF ditched him for Virtanen and from what I heard and has been hasslin and razzin him for a while since but Jake normally ignores his nonsense. Not sure if is all true or not but the guy sounds like a total loser...

Not too bright on his part if he is an aspiring media type. Most reputable employers check social media during the recruitment process so if there's substance to what you're saying and he has no way to make the comments he posted disappear, it could come back to haunt him. Being controversial is one thing, posting out and out BS regarding a player's off season personal time is another.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Even if Virtanen was partying (he wasn’t) I wouldn’t really care.

The guy has been huge in the community this summer. Every single Canuck related event, he’s there - most recently the Haida Gwaii fishing trip to raise money for CAN. Really like that attitude and dedication out of him, and I’m cheering hard for him to have a good year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Virtanen's last 15 games or so were eye-popping...basically took the puck to the net whenever he wanted to and made some pretty solid NHL d-men look silly by taking the puck wide. But was it a mirage? Will he turn back into a pumpkin once the regular season starts?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Virtanen's last 15 games or so were eye-popping...basically took the puck to the net whenever he wanted to and made some pretty solid NHL d-men look silly by taking the puck wide. But was it a mirage? Will he turn back into a pumpkin once the regular season starts?
I dont think he will go back to pumpkin mode, i think its a sign a things to come

:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad