Player Discussion Jake Virtanen, Pt. XXII: 'Tis no man — 'tis a relentless redemption machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
I agree with others. Time to move on.

Anyone trying to pump up Virtanen's tires should just save face and stop while they are already behind.

Kid is a bust. Hope he saves his career in Florida or Anaheim however, maybe that is what he needs. Imagine Virtanen playing under Tortorella :laugh:

Judging by body language it is pretty evident his teammates are just about done with him too.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I agree with others. Time to move on.

Anyone trying to pump up Virtanen's tires should just save face and stop while they are already behind.

Kid is a bust. Hope he saves his career in Florida or Anaheim however, maybe that is what he needs. Imagine Virtanen playing under Tortorella :laugh:

Judging by body language it is pretty evident his teammates are just about done with him too.
Agreed. If Jake can be used as sweetener to dump Baer it’s got be done. That would be a net 6 (if Jake’s getting 3, and Big Zack takes his spot) off our cap. Then take 3 of that six and resign Stecher. Let Marky walk, and sign Toffoli and Tanev.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
I agree generally Virtanen's best use going forward is a sweetener. We can disagree about who gets signed or not. I'm of the opinion we should focus on Markstrom and Tanev- not sold on the immediate viability of Demko as the starter going forward after 3 playoff games and I think Toffoli is overhyped- the type of player we should find home-grown or who can be acquired at the deadline. Approaching 30 too.

Agree with Stecher. Kid is all heart and I think its worth it to sacrifice maybe some size and strength for the love and intensity he brings.

Reactions: MarkMM

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Ottawa fan here, would Virtanen have a chance at being a top 6 forward with a change in scenery? Would love to have in Ottawa if he can end up as a 2nd line RW that can provide some physicality. Maybe he can be an add on to dump a contract like Sutter?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
He's an inconsistent middle sixer who played like an inconsistent middle sixer in the playoffs. I didn't really have too much of a problem with his overall game, especially considering he was on the awful Beagle/Motte line for a decent amount of the playoffs.

No shit he's a bad 6th overall pick, but I don't really know if I'd say "time to move on". I'd be fine dealing him if
A) We actually get something decent back. The 3rd-5th round pick that Sekeres(?) alluded to would not be good enough.
B) His contract demands are too high.

But on a team with a bunch of overpaid dogshit, a young, cheap(ish) player who wants to be here is not someone we should be rushing to deal.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Virtanen has done absolutely nothing to lead us to believe he wants to be here.

He is not just inconsistent, sometimes he is straight up a black hole of productivity.

And relationships with the rest of the team go a long way. I and others have pointed out that going by body language looks like everyone else has just about had it with him. I get the impression he is not terribly well liked in the dressing room.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Ottawa fan here, would Virtanen have a chance at being a top 6 forward with a change in scenery? Would love to have in Ottawa if he can end up as a 2nd line RW that can provide some physicality. Maybe he can be an add on to dump a contract like Sutter?
If the Sens would take Sutter (with Jake as sweetener) I’d hope Benning would be smart enough to take that deal.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

He is not just inconsistent, sometimes he is straight up a black hole of productivity.

And relationships with the rest of the team go a long way. I and others have pointed out that going by body language looks like everyone else has just about had it with him. I get the impression he is not terribly well liked in the dressing room.

A "black hole of productivity" doesn't end up getting 0.5 p/g playing primarily bottom 6 minutes without PP1 time. This is exactly what inconsistent means.

I don't know if Virtanen is particularly well-liked by the rest of the team, but evaluating that based on the body language of teammates is basically baseless. Tons of people don't like their coworkers, but they're still kept around if they're competent at their job and unless there's unknown information regarding Virtanen and his teammates, I don't really think it warrants getting rid of him for nothing.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

I think Jake would be liked; he’s a nice guy and (appears) likeable. I don’t think he’s respected as a professional though. Guys work hard and make sacrifices during the off season (and during the season too) to be at their best when it’s game time. Jake doesn’t make those same sacrifices. He comes to camps overweight and not ready. He makes childish mistakes, and then posts them on the Internet. Jake seems like a really nice guy, but he clearly needs to grow up, and be a professional.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I don't get this "beast" business, people talk about him like he is some sort of bruising power forward which is weird because I have literally never seen him play that way. He's not even remotely tough and if anything he's just a little bit dirty. Stupid too and the combination results in things like last game's first penalty which was so completely unnecessary as to be the kind of thing that would infuriate any coach. He's fast which is great but can miss the net from 8 feet (or even 4 feet) out. Every once in awhile he gets one and everybody goes back to hoping that maybe just maybe it's a sign of things to come but then he reverts to form and disappears. I'll admit it, I was ecstatic when we drafted this guy, thought he looked dominant playing against boys, but I give up.

Reactions: KH and Canucks1096

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Hell to the yes there. I'll pay for his cab fare to the airport for that. Best of luck with him. God knows, nobody out here has been able to reach him.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The personal shots about his personality and how 'liked' he is are so over the top. Cringe worthy and honestly not a good look for anyone who tries to make a player's performance personal.

What we all seem to agree on is that Jake isn't a good fit anymore and that it's time to move on. I wouldn't rush Virt out but if he's moved I wouldn't miss him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jake Virtanen picked up 18 goals and 18 assists in 69 games. So you'd have to figure he'd have at least ended the year at 20 and 20. And he makes $1.25m a season.

He's so far from being the 'biggest issue' with the Canucks, it's almost laughable. How about Roussel, Baertschi, Beagle, Eriksson and Sutter? Between the lot of them, all they wracked up was 23 goals in total for a combined salary cap hit of $20 million.

The Canucks need a lot more 'Jake Virtanen's if they ever expect to compete once the window opens with their best young players.

Reactions: mathonwy

Nov 1, 2011

Virtanen + Eriksson for Ryan @50%

Costs OTT cap but saves actual cash.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Jake Virtanen picked up 18 goals and 18 assists in 69 games. So you'd have to figure he'd have at least ended the year at 20 and 20. And he makes $1.25m a season.

He's so far from being the 'biggest issue' with the Canucks, it's almost laughable. How about Roussel, Baertschi, Beagle, Eriksson and Sutter? Between the lot of them, all they wracked up was 23 goals in total for a combined salary cap hit of $20 million.

The Canucks need a lot more 'Jake Virtanen's if they ever expect to compete once the window opens with their best young players.

This thread you're pumping up Virtanen and letting us know you think he is a good player. Other Gaudette thread you're saying Gaudette doesn't play with good wingers. News flash, Virtanen and Gaudette are regular linemates this year. If you think Virtanen is a good winger, that means Gaudette did play with a good winger this year.

Reactions: KH

Grumpy1

Feb 8, 2015
I think he has 1 more year to prove himself. Hes gonna get over payed in arbitration.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I can’t speak authentically about whether or not Virtanen has any chances left with the organization off the ice. I think it’s clear that something about how he conducts himself has rubbed the organization the wrong way.

But if he does have any rope left with them, I hope we don’t give up on him. He has still improved year over year for the past few years, and I think he will continue to do so. It’s been a slow process, but it has been progressive. Replacing his 18 goals in the bottom six is easier said then done, too.

One thing I would work hard on with both him and Gaudette is teaching them how to PK. That would dramatically increase their effectiveness as hockey players if they could both learn that. Defense can be taught, and I would assign Malhotra to work with them on that.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Agreed. If Jake can be used as sweetener to dump Baer it’s got be done. That would be a net 6 (if Jake’s getting 3, and Big Zack takes his spot) off our cap. Then take 3 of that six and resign Stecher. Let Marky walk, and sign Toffoli and Tanev.

you don’t move a player like Virtanen to dump Baertschi who only has one season left at 2.3 cap hit, what a ridiculous move that would be.

You do remember he scored 18 goals in 69 games, many game winning goals too! how do you replace that at a similar cap hit? Virtanen should only make about 2 million for next season, with us so up tight to the cap we need that cap value to goals.

Move Sutter, move Pearson let Markstrom walk, these are the moves we should be making, get rid of the older players who aren’t bringing much to the team(Markstrom exempted) and cost us way more than what their on ice performance is worth.

Many Canuck fans are embarrassing with their knee jerk emotions.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
you don’t move a player like Virtanen to dump Baertschi who only has one season left at 2.3 cap hit, what a ridiculous move that would be.

You do remember he scored 18 goals in 69 games how do you replace that at a similar cap hit? Virtanen should only make about 2 million for next season, with us so up tight to the cap we need that cap value to goals.

Move Sutter, move Pearson let Markstrom walk, these are the moves we should be making, get rid of the older players who aren’t bringing much to the team(Markstrom exempted) and cost us way more than what their on ice performance is worth.

Many Canuck fans are embarrassing with their knee jerk emotions.
Your facts are wrong: Baertschi’s cap hit is north of 3.3 million.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Your facts are wrong: Baertschi’s cap hit is north of 3.3 million.

even still you don’t move Virtanen to dump 1 year left on Baertschi. Benning giving Baertschi that deal shows he shouldn’t be the one negotiating deals!. Canucks have cap hell for this and next off season, they need to be smart on how they handle this.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
even still you don’t move Virtanen to dump 1 year left on Baertschi. Benning giving Baertschi that deal shows he shouldn’t be the one negotiating deals!. Canucks have cap hell for this and next off season, they need to be smart on how they handle this.
I agree this cap hell is caused by Benning’s terrible contracts to guys who don’t contribute. Imo, if Benning does trade Jake it must be as sweetener to dump a toxic contract. Jake isn’t worth dumping Loui’s 2 years, or 2 years. That leaves Sutter and Baer. Using Jake to dump Either is fine with me.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

He already is a top 6 forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad