Player Discussion Jake Virtanen, Pt. XXII: 'Tis no man — 'tis a relentless redemption machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A year after Virtanen was drafted a number of people said that if he could turn into a 20 goal 20 assist third line player who played physically with decent defensive play that he'd be a useful player for the team.
Right now he is on pace for 19 goals and 42 points and has seen his production improve since he's been on a line with Rousell and Gaudette. Of course that line has only played together for two games and it appears so far that Rousell is the main catalyst for its success but on paper it looks like a fast physical line that could work well. So far he has also played fairly well defensively and the point total has been with only limited PP time.
But we've also seen in the past Virtanen go through stretches before where he plays well and then disappears. What are people's thoughts on Jake. Is he finally becoming the player people hoped he would be? Or is this just another good stretch?

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Seems to be a streaky scorer...I think 20 goals is realistic..I don't see 20 assists though...Still has some consistency issues, but is coming along fine IMO.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think he’s finally arrived as a solid bottom six player - a legit NHLer.

The real question now is, does he peak as a 10-15 goal, 20-30 point third liner type, or does he add a bit more consistent offensive to his game and become a viable second line option?

Personally, I think something of a tweener like Chris Higgins is most likely. And that’s a valuable thing to have - although, of course, a disappointment considering his draft position.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When the guy plays with burr up his saddle, he can be a very effective player. But then there's those lulls, where you have to check to lineup card to see if he even played.

Of course it hasn't helped that he's bounced from one line to another, and his ice-time has been all over the map. But even the most ardent Virtanen bashers would have to concede that he has improved 'year over year' The only question is whether he's hit his ceiling, or whether there's more to give.

But looking at that 2014 draft with the benefit of hindsight, you'd have to say it was pretty mediocre. Dylan Larkin and David Pastrnak might have been the best players in that entire draft, and they didn't go until 15th and 25th overall.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They need more utility from virtanen. He needs to get on the PK.
I agree. He's aggressive, strong and fast and could be an effective PK'er that could also chip in with some goals. I'm just not sure on his defensive awareness yet to play that role. But he should be starting to get some time on the PK to show whether he can grow his game in that area.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I dont know how he picked up two assists yesterday, he was so invisible

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I will reserve my final judgement on Virtanen till after he gets some playoff games under his belt.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
.50 ppg without a lick of PP time.

He's a driving force when he has jump. He just doesn't flourish when the expectancy is to produce.

Middle six talent with game breaking speed, causes a tremendous amount of turnovers and hurried ill timed passes when driven. Have a huge leash of love for this player but he needs to realize he's a veteran now and needs to be a player Travis and his linemates can rely on.

now lets
stone-cold-steve-austin-double-beer-smash-chug-beer-gifs.gif

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
He's making noticeably quicker and smarter decisions in the offensive zone, which he really needs to do. He's also still invisible for stretches. It's clear to me he has more skill to uncover. He isn't a grinder and has never looked like one. The way up the lineup for him is effort, conditioning and creative play.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Seems to be a streaky scorer...I think 20 goals is realistic..I don't see 20 assists though...Still has some consistency issues, but is coming along fine IMO.

Third line players don't get 20 goals, especially with no pp time. Highly doubt he has that many goals at even strength, Boeser might not even get 20 even strength goals

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If a team wants Virtanen and willing to take on most of Eriksson cap. I have no problem giving up Virtanen. I won't even think twice.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Friendly reminder, remember 8 goals in his first 20 games last year. Most thought he has arrived and will score 20 to 25 goals. You were wrong once and I think there is a good chance you will be wrong again.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There seems to be some chemistry between Gaudette, Roussel, and Virtanen. It would be nice to have that line stay intact for a bit.

I think that some players do well having a steady linemate. Gaudette and Virtanen have mostly been shuffled around without a steady linemate. That can be tough for young players still trying to figure out their place in the league. Tom Wilson spent years alongside Beagle before he got moved up the lineup and is now considered a top 6 player.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Virtanen hasn’t turned a corner. The fans have turned a corner. Once people stop moaning about him not living up to the 6th overall position, they can see him for what he is - a fast, strong, middle six forward whose inconsistency keeps him on the third line more often than the second line.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Virtanen hasn’t turned a corner. The fans have turned a corner. Once people stop moaning about him not living up to the 6th overall position, they can see him for what he is - a fast, strong, middle six forward who’s inconsistency keeps him on the third line more often than the second line.
6 points in the last 5 games ...but yeah, people are always going to moan about Jake Virtanen.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
In my opinion, he's gotten a little better every season. When he first came, he shouldn't have been in the NHL period... not much really needs to be said he should have been an extra forward. Last year he stopped being a liability in the dzone, but still failed to utilize his teammates, couldn't make crisp enough passes which really held back his play making. Now although consistency is sometimes a problem, he actually uses his speed more effectively and his decision making in ozone and neutral zone have definitely improved.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
He would benefit from playing with consistent linemates. Not all players are like JT Miller, who can be moved around the dial and still excel. It looked like he had decent chemistry with Gaudette and Roussel. Keep them together for awhile.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
He’s a really nice player. Easily our most under appreciated player. There’s tons of Pearson/Leivo apologists around here now that those two finally have had a couple good offensive games. The reality is Virtanen is better than both of them yet they get about x100 more PP time, way better linemates, and receive way less criticism.

Reactions: MalkinsPierogi

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I always hope he will become a 20/20 guy and he always disappoints. That being said his decision making and offensive zone play has improved this year. He's stopping when he gains the zone and assessing his options as opposed to just skating in an firing a low percentage shot - it's a small thing but it is important.

He seems to improve incrementally every year which is encouraging. Perhaps a bit too slowly for many (including myself) and really struggles with consistency and effort levels at times but at the moment he looks good.

Reactions: Jimnastic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->