Player Discussion Jake Virtanen Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Its soo amusing to see that people are trying to crap on JV eventhough he is clearly trending up.

I do understand the agenda tho... if JV does well and becomes a big part of the team then its one less bullet in the chamber for the Benning detractors.

Uh oh. Must be nerve racking time !!

Meanwhile the rest of us are shotgunning drinks and enjoying watching a young man grab a hold of his career !!

Cheers up boys !!

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Roxy has been playing better lately. I still see his absolute ceiling as Dustin Brown lite, though.

I would absoliutely take that 100x 100.

Brown was a warrior for the Kings during their cup runs! Could break a game and series in so many ways.. scoring, physical play or 200 ft game.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Yeah I was hoping we'd see more goals that were just clean, well placed snipes, or one timers from being in the right position. Mostly would like more contained situation style goals not just rushing hard throwing at net and it's bouncing in at a higher than average rate.

He is definitely improved over his first couple of seasons, but that is a pretty low bar..

Yep. Over the last year and a bit he's definitely improved from his play in his first two seasons, but the narrative from him drastically improving this season compared to last season has been exaggerated IMO.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Its soo amusing to see that people are trying to crap on JV eventhough he is clearly trending up.

I do understand the agenda tho... if JV does well and becomes a big part of the team then its one less bullet in the chamber for the Benning detractors.

Meanwhile the rest of us are shotgunning drinks and enjoying watching a young man grab a hold of his career !!

Cheers up boys !!

We still have more than enough to shit on Benning for.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
We still have more than enough to **** on Benning for.

Exactlt which is why its hillarious to see some posters grasping for straws in this threas.

If you cant see the monumental massive progress that JV has made from his early yrs to his game today where he is being relied on in the last minute to protect a 1 goal lead then the hate game is strong on u.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Exactlt which is why its hillarious to see some posters grasping for straws in this threas.

If you cant see the monumental massive progress that JV has made from his early yrs to his game today where he is being relied on in the last minute to protect a 1 goal lead then the hate game is strong on u.
Yep. You just need to look at the minutes to see that’s true. 17 and a half minutes tonight. Third highest amongst forwards. In a one goal game.
Last year he was getting what? 12 minutes a night. A huge jump this year.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
If he can become a 20-20 player as well as continuing to be a physical force I'll be happy. Ngl I was one of the people who thought he was a complete bust.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Cheers up boys !!

Don't worry. We've got a lot of bullets. I'm quite happy to admit JV is trending up. He's got some fluky goals, but overall I wouldn't say he's been super lucky. He's sitting on ~7 individual xGoals for the season and now he's got 10. It'll even out. He's playing well and that's good for the team.

Still doesn't make him the right pick, but he's a useful NHLer....which is what I've been saying since his draft anyway.

Funny.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Virtanen's career path is ridiculous. I can't think of another player that's had his game so completely torn down and rebuilt from scratch.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Don't worry. We've got a lot of bullets. I'm quite happy to admit JV is trending up. He's got some fluky goals, but overall I wouldn't say he's been super lucky. He's sitting on ~7 individual xGoals for the season and now he's got 10. It'll even out. He's playing well and that's good for the team.

Still doesn't make him the right pick, but he's a useful NHLer....which is what I've been saying since his draft anyway.

Funny.

Still talking about him being the wrong pick ? Move on for crying out loud.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Virtanen's career path is ridiculous. I can't think of another player that's had his game so completely torn down and rebuilt from scratch.

His game really hasn't changed, he's just gotten better at it.
Although, I think recently he hasn't been as physical. I remember a few years ago he'd try to go for every single hit he possibly could. Now, he's really calmed down the physicality and I think it has helped with his positioning overall. Virtanen has always been a strong possession player, and can really boost any defensive line he's on with his ability to skate the puck into the zone.

Just hope he still can flip that switch when the team needs to play physically

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
A month ago It's Virtanen had more points than Ehlers argument. Now it's Ehlers only has 5 more assist. So I am pretty sure next month the argument is Ehlers only has 10 more points. The month after the argument will be Ehlers only have 15 more points. Than when the season ends when Ehlers has 20 plus more points more than him. Then hopefully you guys will realize it is a ridiculous compairson.

So you are using the linemate card. If Virtanen had Ehlers linemates pp time. Virtanen will be a legit 60 point scorer? Virtanen doesn't process the game fast enough to play with skill players. There is a reason why Pettersson went on a cold streak when Virtanen joined his line. Pettersson only has 1 secondary assist when Virtanen is on the ice with him.

So Virtanen brings other things to the table. Show evidences that proves thst what he brings it is more valuable than points? Is his 2 hits on average a game slowing the team down? Is his defensive skill shutting down top stars?

In a cap world there is a consideration for value-for-contract. One dimension scorers are generally (but not always) overpaid compared to their actual impact on the game, whereas multidimensional players like Virtanen often provide better value. I would argue at this point in time both Ehlers and Nylander provide questionable value for their contracts, and do not fall under the elite player category. You still need to fill out your roster, but I'd prefer not expend a top pick on a player like that. Maybe Virtanen is not the better pick, but I don't think either of those other guys are necessarily slam dunks for their respective franchises in terms of value for pick+contract post-ELC. There are similar players that can be found in FA if one is willing to overpay.

Reactions: Numba9

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

There wasn't much to be torn down if you know what I mean... I get the impression that Jake has been the victim of bad coaching going all the way back to Juniors and continuing all the way up until he played for Travis Green.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I think if Virtanen signs a good long term contract he'll become a fan favorite like Hansen did.
HF loves players that are on cheap contracts and over-preform their contract.

The problem is someone like Tom Wilson who had a career high 14 goals and pts just signed a 5.1 per yr long term contract.

Reactions: Peen

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yep. Over the last year and a bit he's definitely improved from his play in his first two seasons, but the narrative from him drastically improving this season compared to last season has been exaggerated IMO.

My take exactly. Main difference (with the puck) is puck luck and the confedence that follows.

Reactions: Canucks1096

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The problem is someone like Tom Wilson who had a career high 14 goals and pts just signed a 5.1 per yr long term contract.

Wilson has a ring to boost that contract though.

I wouldnt worry too much about JV getting overtly ambitious with his next contract. If he does I hope the management wont be afraid to let him walk. (wait... Will he be UFA after this contract ends? )

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Wilson has a ring to boost that contract though.

I wouldnt worry too much about JV getting overtly ambitious with his next contract. If he does I hope the management wont be afraid to let him walk. (wait... Will he be UFA after this contract ends? )

No. Hes not eligible to be UFA until 27 i believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad