Prospect Info: Jake Sanderson (D) PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
A blend of Scott Niedermayer and Nik Lidstrom.

But in all seriousness, a prime Ryan Suter is who I envision and hope for. 27+ minute a night guy who can shut down top lines and chip in 40-50 points.
I didn’t watch Suter before the nhl. Could he hold on to the puck like Sanderson?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think Sanderson could have a superstar impact for the sens. If he can become an elite skating two-way 25+ minute a night dman, the sens will be in a great spot.

Exactly.

He's (hopefully) is going to be incredibly valuable to stabilize the entire blueline and really turn a severe weakness into a strength for the team. And that is a huge accomplishment for a defenseman.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Honeslty he looks a lot like Chabot. Latter part of this year and in the ncaa tourny. Looked like Chabot dominated the world juniors.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Wow, people are expecting a lot from Sanderson! Not much pressure...lol..

How about we hope he is as good as Chabot in 3 years? Give him some time to develop?

We are going to have some very young blueliners and not much supporting cast their development could be slower then we hope.

Maybe we can find a Zub #2 in the KHL for next year to help stabilize the defense more.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa

How about we hope he is as good as Chabot in 3 years? Give him some time to develop?

We are going to have some very young blueliners and not much supporting cast their development could be slower then we hope.

Maybe we can find a Zub #2 in the KHL for next year to help stabilize the defense more.

Yeah I agree we gotta pump the breaks haaaard with Sanderson. Let him finish another year of college, play the remaining games with Ottawa. From there say 30-40 games with Belleville and the rest of the season on the third pair.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Yeah I agree we gotta pump the breaks haaaard with Sanderson. Let him finish another year of college, play the remaining games with Ottawa. From there say 30-40 games with Belleville and the rest of the season on the third pair.

I would bet that Sanderson steps right into the NHL and never looks back.

His skating and smarts will allow him to be an effective NHL player quickly, and his game will grow as he learns and gains confidence.

The growth in his ability to impact games in a big way at each level has been fantastic. Started steady last season at the NTDP, ended the season dominating. Was solid at the WJC, played the most minutes of any US D shutting down Canada for the gold. From all reports, he was outstanding in the last 10-15 games of the college season as well.

I don't really see how a strong positive assessment puts any pressure on the kid. He works his ass off to get better, models his game after guys like Heiskenen and Makar. He expects to be an impact D, thats the only pressure that matters.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
No. I think people are still behind on Sanderson's ability to dominate the offensive zone and create odd man rushes.

Yup. He was dominant offensively following the WJC on. He can skate really, really well with the puck. He can control the offensive zone, so many little details in his game that are going to translate to the NHL.

This was an amazing development year for Sanderson. Won the WJC in a shutdown role, developed his offensive game while keeping his defensive game, and enjoyed team success. Next season will only provide him more opportunities, offensively at NoDak and the WJC. He’ll win defenseman of the tournament.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Saying Sanderson is/was dominant offensively isn’t very accurate. Or else he wouldn’t be going back. He controlled the puck but without much authority consistently. He’d release/delegate it far too soon. He isn’t really on Chabot’s level in that regard. Chabot is absolutely brilliant controlling the puck at top end speed and being patient with it while pressured intensely.

Sometimes we forget just how good Chabot is. His WJC and 20 year old season in the Q were one for the ages.

If Sanderson develops more patience with the puck and ability to control it better in top speed, then we have a top 5 defender in our hands in the making. I can’t wait to see him develop next year and see him in the WJC.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He went back because he wanted to, if the team had its choice he’d be here now. Stop kidding yourself.

He will join the Sens at the end of his season next year and never play a game in the AHL.

Talk,argue, pull your hair, and then book it. :)

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He went back because he wanted to, if the team had its choice he’d be here now. Stop kidding yourself.

Ok, Mr. Insider. Just like another poster on here adamant JS and his camp wanted him one and done in college. One can easily argue if Sanderson was confident in his game enough he'd have wanted to come over, especially with our defense in shambles and him getting a spot quite easily on our NHL team next year.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Ok, Mr. Insider. Just like another poster on here adamant JS and his camp wanted him one and done in college. One can easily argue if Sanderson was confident in his game enough he'd have wanted to come over, especially with our defense in shambles and him getting a spot quite easily on our NHL team next year.

Haha! the very definition of NOT an insider :)

Well, he’s going back to college. I don’t think I have have seen or heard anywhere that it was anyone but his choice.

Also, our D isn’t in shambles, seems overly dramatic.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Saying Sanderson is/was dominant offensively isn’t very accurate. Or else he wouldn’t be going back. He controlled the puck but without much authority consistently. He’d release/delegate it far too soon. He isn’t really on Chabot’s level in that regard. Chabot is absolutely brilliant controlling the puck at top end speed and being patient with it while pressured intensely.

Sometimes we forget just how good Chabot is. His WJC and 20 year old season in the Q were one for the ages.

If Sanderson develops more patience with the puck and ability to control it better in top speed, then we have a top 5 defender in our hands in the making. I can’t wait to see him develop next year and see him in the WJC.

This is fair.

At the same time, in his D+1 WJC, Chabot was a supporting player as an 18 year old, so keep in mind Chabot was 1.5 years older than Sanderson was at this past WJC, so comparing apples to apples will be more how Sanderson looks at next year's WJC (and at the UND). I think it's fair to say he might be a similar workhorse and puck hog to Chabot in his D+2 year, although that is about projection with some uncertainty. But certainly Sanderson is tracking as well or better than Chabot in his D+1 year (regarded as a better prospect in D+1), but of course Chabot really developed in his D+2 year more than almost anyone in the draft to rocket up the prospect rankings.

Chabot's path, like Makar and Heiskenen's, is one of the reasons I like seeing Sanderson go back to NCAA for another year. In Chabot's draft year, Hanifin jumped right into the NHL and was in his 3rd NHL season by the time Chabot arrived as a rookie, but there is no way I'd swap Chabot for Hanifin (even though Hanifin is still a great D).

Reactions: NB613 and Dionysus

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This is fair.

At the same time, in his D+1 WJC, Chabot was a supporting player as an 18 year old, so keep in mind Chabot was 1.5 years older than Sanderson was at this past WJC, so comparing apples to apples will be more how Sanderson looks at next year's WJC (and at the UND). I think it's fair to say he might be a similar workhorse and puck hog to Chabot in his D+2 year, although that is about projection with some uncertainty. But certainly Sanderson is tracking as well or better than Chabot in his D+1 year (regarded as a better prospect in D+1), but of course Chabot really developed in his D+2 year more than almost anyone in the draft to rocket up the prospect rankings.

Chabot's path, like Makar and Heiskenen's, is one of the reasons I like seeing Sanderson go back to NCAA for another year. In Chabot's draft year, Hanifin jumped right into the NHL and was in his 3rd NHL season by the time Chabot arrived as a rookie, but there is no way I'd swap Chabot for Hanifin (even though Hanifin is still a great D).

Yea, Sanderson is tracking to be better off their D+1 comparable but progression is not linear - that's my point. Chabot is the only MVP ever in the history of WJC as a defender. Don't matter how good Sanderson tracking, if he puts up similar performance next WJC then we can talk about their offensive similarities. As of now Sanderson has a lot to do to in his D+2 to match that of Chabot's.

Sanderson improving his puck skills next year will make him absolute top tier prospect. No reason he shouldn't. Seeing him this year I already said he has shown glimpses of top 5 ability in the NHL. But similarly very raw too. Sanderson had a better season than McAvoy while playing 2nd pair minutes to McAvoy's first. Sanderson also, in all intents and purposes, had better year than Power if you look at usage. Can't wait to see Sanderson and I really hope they give him full reigns to make as many mistakes as possible to develop his game. He was barely 18 when drafted, still very young.

His defensive game and skating are already top 4 calibre. If he hones his offensive skills, we got a superstar workhorse on our hands.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

I'm expecting nothing less than the 2nd coming of Nicklas Lidstrom

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Early season. Yes. Latter season? In the playoffs ? There was no delegating. It was the Sanderson the show. And he would have had the puck even more if the forwards used the Defence. Which the UND guys did not do as often as they should have

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Drysdale playing in the #1 D slot for the Ducks. Got me feeling some kind of way.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Drysdale playing in the #1 D slot for the Ducks. Got me feeling some kind of way.

I mean it's pretty safe to say he has completely blown his pre draft expectations out of the water. LA, DET, OTT(once) and maybe even NY all passed on him for guys that obviously haven't had as impressive seasons. Just mind boggiling development from him.

Still happy with Sanderson who had a great season but he will unfortunately be negatively compared to Drysdale at least until he breaks into the NHL. Just got to hope it's a Pietrangelo Karlsson type comparison and not a Luke Schenn Karlsson comparison.

Reactions: branch

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I mean it's pretty safe to say he has completely blown his pre draft expectations out of the water. LA, DET, OTT(once) and maybe even NY all passed on him for guys that obviously haven't had as impressive seasons. Just mind boggiling development from him.

Still happy with Sanderson who had a great season but he will unfortunately be negatively compared to Drysdale at least until he breaks into the NHL. Just got to hope it's a Pietrangelo Karlsson type comparison and not a Luke Schenn Karlsson comparison.

Yeah I'm going to have to wait for a larger sample size than ~10 games before we can say Drysdale has blown his pre draft expectations out of the water.

I'm confident Sanderson could jump into our top 4 right now and do well. I don't think that would be best for his development, though. Drysdale was always seen as a bit more polished and Sanderson having more raw, untapped potential to him.

We'd all feel good with Drys on our right side right now compared to what we have. Would it be best for our team composition and our ability to win a Cup? Not so sure. I'd still pick Sanderson.

Reactions: NB613

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah I'm going to have to wait for a larger sample size than ~10 games before we can say Drysdale has blown his pre draft expectations out of the water.

I'm confident Sanderson could jump into our top 4 right now and do well. I don't think that would be best for his development, though. Drysdale was always seen as a bit more polished and Sanderson having more raw, untapped potential to him.

We'd all feel good with Drys on our right side right now compared to what we have. Would it be best for our team composition and our ability to win a Cup? Not so sure. I'd still pick Sanderson.
I liked them both at the draft. I liked them both at the WJC. I like them both now. I am glad we have Sanderson. I'd be glad to have Drysdale.. Both are top prospects worthy of top 5 picks.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
In a world of instant gratification, Im glad people in charge are still looking at the long view in a some cases like Sanderson.

Like SoA said, they both look amazing. One just so happens to be farther along in the development than the other.

Im sure some Kings fans are going through this with Byfield vs Timmy. Debates are fun! But theyre pretty pointless at this time and no one gonna win the argument for a few years at least.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I haven't been watching Anaheim so take this with a grain of salt but he's getting 15 mins at 5v5 a night, that's 6th on the team, not sure he's in the #1 slot... Do you just mean playing on the top pair?

Reactions: NB613
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad